Propellerhead Software
Old 2012-10-02, 20:07

Mixing Rock Music in Reason

Hi guys,

I don't claim to be a mixing engineer by any means. I'm mostly used to mixing hip-hop, which I do almost 100% inside the box using Reason and once in a while other DAW's. However, recently I recorded an indie rock band with loud guitars and drums. I used Logic as the DAW, but am really finding it hard to get the mix sounding good using the stock Logic plugins and a few purchased from Waves such as RVox, Rverb, RComp, RAxx... The raw files sound nice, but I'm finding Logic to be a little tough. I suppose I have to learn, but I'm on a deadline and just want the best product done in something that will not take forever. I usually wouldn't turn to Reason for anything dealing with rock music, but I'm considering trying a mix in Reason. Any thoughts on this? Has anyone done this with success in such a genre? Any arguments why I should stick with Logic and not even bother importing the stems into Reason?
Old 2012-10-02, 22:11

Why would you be frightened of mixing rock music in Reason? The software you use does not dictate the style you produce. Its just a tool. In fact I have found that almost anything I chuck into Reason often yields great results.

I am a guitarist and record and mix guitar based music in Reason and it sounds great.

Import the stems and I bet you that you won't be disappointed with the results. In fact I would wager you get better results faster in Reason that you will do with Logic if you are not familiar enough with it.
Old 2012-10-02, 22:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redster930 View Post
Why would you be frightened of mixing rock music in Reason? The software you use does not dictate the style you produce. Its just a tool. In fact I have found that almost anything I chuck into Reason often yields great results.

I am a guitarist and record and mix guitar based music in Reason and it sounds great.

Import the stems and I bet you that you won't be disappointed with the results. In fact I would wager you get better results faster in Reason that you will do with Logic if you are not familiar enough with it.
Redstar... Not really frightened to try a mix in Reason, as I use it for nearly all my hip-hop, but rather just hoping to not waste time. I'm familiar with Logic enough to do an ample mix, but it seems more time consuming than when I am using Reason. For this particular project I unfortunately don't have all the time in the world. Anyway, I appreciate your post, as I was looking for the opinions of people who have done some mixing of guitar and other live instrumentation in Reason.

I'll give it a shot!
Old 2012-10-02, 22:58

These are two rock tunes done in a classic 70s style. All done entirely in Reason. The only thing done outside of reason was for the second one where I used a touch of Slate VCC/VTM to give it more of an analog tape feel.

Loading SoundCloud…

Loading SoundCloud…
Old 2012-10-02, 23:03

Sorry I didn't mean to sound derogatory, I'm sure you are not really frightened just a turn of phrase

Still, I'm pretty sure that the SSL mixer plays wonders with any stems you chuck at it, regardless of genre. I find you tend to loose that sterilised clinical feel many DAWs imprint on audio.

Stick it in there and get it done

Last edited by Redster930; 2012-10-02 at 23:05.
Old 2012-10-02, 23:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redster930 View Post
Sorry I didn't mean to sound derogatory, I'm sure you are not really frightened just a turn of phrase

Still, I'm pretty sure that the SSL mixer plays wonders with any stems you chuck at it, regardless of genre. I find you tend to loose that sterilised clinical feel many DAWs imprint on audio.

Stick it in there and get it done
Gonna have at it this evening. Hoping to have some nice results without too much time spent, simply because there isn't much time! Once again, thanks, and no worries. You didn't sound derogatory, and besides, I can take a little kick in the butt to get this thing completed. The SSL mixer is truly amazing. I enjoy the EQ on it for it's simplicity and typically find good results using just that for EQ'ing. I'll let you know how it comes out!
Old 2012-10-03, 16:34

With the exception of some previously mixed tracks in SONAR, all of our band 'reijo' music is done in Reason.

www.reijomusic.com
http://reijo.bandcamp.com | Our Album
Click 'Shadows' below for our newer tracks on SoundCloud.

Mixing in Reason has been a blessing for me. I was very happy to be rid of all the plug-ins. It's pretty straight forward once you've been shown some 'normal' SSL approaches. Gary Bronham was a big key in this for me. I loved his sessions. If you're having some problems do some searches as there are some good aproach tips and tutorials around the forum and Substance here on the site as well as others on the web for mixing.

Good luck. I think you'll enjoy it so much more.