Propellerhead Software
Old 2012-09-27, 21:47

Sounds pretty good Medium. I like how the piano sounds mirror the rest of the melodies in the heavier parts. I also like the new disco beat for your melody.

Old 2012-09-27, 22:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediuM View Post
I am new here even i use reason from 2.5 version but I want to ask you guys what am doing wrong with my sound? I always have problem with mastering not to mention i still cant use compression. Hope i dont bother anybody here.

http://soundcloud.com/mediumen/l-a-r-s-empty-mind
You really need to tell US what's wrong with the results before we could tell you what you're doing wrong! Then we can offer suggestions as to what to do to 'fix' it. Otherwise all we can do is say what WE would do to make the track fit OUR vision. And we are all more than happy to do that, but it may be of less value to you than addressing the specific issues you're not happy with.

As for me, I'd lower the kick level overall, unless this is only intended to be played in clubs. As it sounds, the kick is THE instrument/star in the track, with other instruments playing a secondary role. It's mostly the upper frequencies of the kick that are pushing it so far forward IMO, so some EQ or even light compression on the kick might improve that. That being said, if using compression I'd avoid a slow attack sound, as that will only accentuate the attack/upper frequencies of the kick (which I feel is already more than loud enough.

So there you have it, one opinion based on nothing but my own ideas FWIW. But I should point out that when I'm mixing for a client, I never even start work until I feel I have a very good idea of what the client is looking for (so I can deliver it!). So all of my suggestions come not in response to any direction you've given, but just my own personal taste (which may or may not resonate with your ideas). :-)
USA
Old 2012-10-03, 15:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by selig View Post
You really need to tell US what's wrong with the results before we could tell you what you're doing wrong! Then we can offer suggestions as to what to do to 'fix' it. Otherwise all we can do is say what WE would do to make the track fit OUR vision. And we are all more than happy to do that, but it may be of less value to you than addressing the specific issues you're not happy with.

As for me, I'd lower the kick level overall, unless this is only intended to be played in clubs. As it sounds, the kick is THE instrument/star in the track, with other instruments playing a secondary role. It's mostly the upper frequencies of the kick that are pushing it so far forward IMO, so some EQ or even light compression on the kick might improve that. That being said, if using compression I'd avoid a slow attack sound, as that will only accentuate the attack/upper frequencies of the kick (which I feel is already more than loud enough.

So there you have it, one opinion based on nothing but my own ideas FWIW. But I should point out that when I'm mixing for a client, I never even start work until I feel I have a very good idea of what the client is looking for (so I can deliver it!). So all of my suggestions come not in response to any direction you've given, but just my own personal taste (which may or may not resonate with your ideas). :-)
Well anytime i end some song it sounds "ok" but after few weeks maybe months when i turn it again it sound bad to me.(like one big mess of sounds) Its like i always mess up some frequencies not to mention i never can make any punchy loud kick . Its impossible with my poor "skill" cause until at now i still dont know how to properly use compressor. I use him but it doesnt mean i understand him...
It is hard to learn everything alone and am really glad for internet, all forums here and everything cause without that i would be in totally other way...Also i dont understand why all my songs sound quiet and blury, its like every sound is in one "flatland". Anyway i love making music and even my bad sound will not stop me to continue and learn !!!
Old 2012-10-03, 15:36

Quote:
Well anytime i end some song it sounds "ok" but after few weeks maybe months when i turn it again it sound bad to me.(like one big mess of sounds) Its like i always mess up some frequencies not to mention i never can make any punchy loud kick . Its impossible with my poor "skill" cause until at now i still dont know how to properly use compressor. I use him but it doesnt mean i understand him...
It is hard to learn everything alone and am really glad for internet, all forums here and everything cause without that i would be in totally other way...Also i dont understand why all my songs sound quiet and blury, its like every sound is in one "flatland". Anyway i love making music and even my bad sound will not stop me to continue and learn !!!
Read more online to get the basics. Then create your own style & identity. From your post I understand your 'musical ears' are growing. That's a good thing.
Old 2012-10-03, 22:14

Quote:
not to mention i never can make any punchy loud kick .
Haha that's quite the opposite to my first reaction to your song, which was along the lines of "holy crap those kicks are HUGE." Sounded pretty good to me, stuck at work on less than optimal listening devices tho so I can't be of much help.

Brought to you by Carl's Jr.
Old 2012-10-03, 23:03

your sound quality sounds good to me , compression you need to read about it some people like it some don't and people like me tend to overcook with compression , my ears aint what they were 15 yrs of punishment lol reason has come a long way since 2.5 and has some decent presets in the mastering suite just tweek them to your liking , ton's of tutorial's online for reason that's what i am doing as i am not to good with mastering , they are a helpful bunch on here sure you will get some good tip's