Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2012-10-04, 13:54

A really nagging problem

The problem is everything is sounding louder on the left hand side even though they are are all panned center. Ive Tried putting the instrumens to mono but they still sound louder on the left.

Basically I have my redrum loaded with drum samples, from there ive split the signal so that the kick is sidechained with the sub. Both left and right wires are plugged in so its not a case of the right wire not being connected.

Ive even tried making a new instrument from scrath and that too is just automatically sounding louder on the left even though the signal says its the same left and right.

Ive had other people listen and they agree with me so its not my hearing thankfully

Maybe there is some sort of setting on the main mixer that im missing?

Im using Reason 6.5 by the way.

Any help is appreciated!
Old 2012-10-04, 14:03

Maybe a stupid question, but could it be a hardware problem? This happened to me once, I accidentally set the volume on one of my monitors louder than the other. If you are using active monitors, check that their volume knobs are set at the same level. If they are, try inverting them to see if the problem persists. By the way, some audio interfaces come with a pan knob, have a look at yours if this is the case.
Old 2012-10-04, 14:08

Its not the volume on my monitors because when i play another track in itunes it sounds fine. Also when I open up an earlier project, everything is fine in that too so im fairly certain its not a hardware issue.
Old 2012-10-04, 14:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhogg View Post
Ive even tried making a new instrument from scrath and that too is just automatically sounding louder on the left even though the signal says its the same left and right.
Why not share that combinator or Reason song so that we can try it here?

Either way, I'm tempted to blame either the samples or the way you set this all up. There's not much to go on here.

Peter

Using the Big Trio: Live 9 Suite, Max (for Live) and Reason 6.5.
Spam: SynthFan.info

Old 2012-10-04, 14:12

Quote:
Its not the volume on my monitors because when i play another track in itunes it sounds fine. Also when I open up an earlier project, everything is fine in that too so im fairly certain its not a hardware issue.
That's a good thing then. It's much harder (and more expensive) to fix hardware problems. There must be something in the chain causing the problem. Is it on every track? If, say, you record your voice on an audio track right now, does it sound louder on the left side?
Old 2012-10-04, 16:27

You're individual drums should be in mono - so just the left cable out of the redrum into the left of the mixer channel. Check you dont have the drums panned in redrum itself - seen this a few times when people have sent me mixes.

If it's from maelstrom, check the spread knob, as this often throws panning out
Old 2012-10-04, 18:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by scifunk View Post
You're individual drums should be in mono - so just the left cable out of the redrum into the left of the mixer channel. Check you dont have the drums panned in redrum itself - seen this a few times when people have sent me mixes.

If it's from maelstrom, check the spread knob, as this often throws panning out

yhea that did trick me a few times ! also the pan in kong and redrum

It's like gambling !!!
but you get something out the slot everytime you click ! lol

▓▓▓
dಠಠb
_(Θ)_

No Respect for the Talion Law , I whant it All !
Old 2012-10-05, 12:20

I can assure everyone that the routing is correct and that absolutely everything is panned dead central. Even when I create a new thor for example, it wires up to a new mix channel, everything is set to default yet the sound is still coming out louder on the left. This is vey strange indeed, which is why I can only come to the conclusion that there is a setting on the main mixer or somewhere in options Ive touched by mistake thats changed the loudness on the left for some reason. The signal is showing that the left and right are at the same volume which is even more confusing. I would upload the Reason file but I dont want to give away the patches ive sat for hours creating
Surely someone must have come across this before? Its driving me mad
Old 2012-10-05, 12:43

I think ive found the problem! Ive routed a spider up to the master section, both left and right wires are plugged in, when i take the spider out, it goes back to the center, but when the spider is in the chain, it sounds louder on the left. This doesnt make sense but taking the spider out has worked :S thanks for the replies guys.
Old 2012-10-05, 17:32

Quote:
I think ive found the problem! Ive routed a spider up to the master section, both left and right wires are plugged in, when i take the spider out, it goes back to the center, but when the spider is in the chain, it sounds louder on the left. This doesnt make sense but taking the spider out has worked :S thanks for the replies guys.
This is a known bug in reason - take the spider out of the master section (changing nothing else) and it should go away. You may have to take other devices out as well, I can't remember. But it has to do with WHERE the devices are placed rather than how they are patched IIRC.

What's happening is that there's a 1 buffer delay of the right channel, causing the left channel (which is no arriving BEFORE the right) to sound louder - this is why the meters will read correct while the "sound" is not. Hope that helps. :-)
USA