Propellerhead Software
  #1  
Old 2012-10-03, 20:24
bobby769 bobby769 is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 17
error - system running too slow

Hello Everyone.

Recently I've started to create more complex and layered sounds and have been getting an error message that says something about the system running too slow.

This seems to happen when I'm running 3 or more instances of Subtractor in the Combinator.

I imagine the same would happne if it were Thor or the Maelstrom.
I'm running Win 7 pro on a Dell w/ a 1st gen i5 and 4gigs of RAM.
The sound card is on board.

I'm specing out a new laptop and am wondering if I should look at one that offers a sound card that is not onboard. I doubt it's the proc or RAM that's causing the issue.

Thanks.
  #2  
Old 2012-10-03, 20:34
Grumbleweed's Avatar
Grumbleweed Grumbleweed is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 6,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby769 View Post
Hello Everyone.

Recently I've started to create more complex and layered sounds and have been getting an error message that says something about the system running too slow.

This seems to happen when I'm running 3 or more instances of Subtractor in the Combinator.

I imagine the same would happne if it were Thor or the Maelstrom.
I'm running Win 7 pro on a Dell w/ a 1st gen i5 and 4gigs of RAM.
The sound card is on board.

I'm specing out a new laptop and am wondering if I should look at one that offers a sound card that is not onboard. I doubt it's the proc or RAM that's causing the issue.

Thanks.
You could increase the latency to use less cpu but an i5 should be able to handle quite a lot of "old" Reason devices without crying about it. An "onboard" soundcard doesn't sound particularly sexy but you should at least try to use ASIO drivers (e.g. ASIO4ALL) to try to get the best out of your system.

Grum.
__________________
Soundcloud Soundclick Bandcamp DeadSpace
Reason 7, Sonar X3e Producer, Balance, Chillblast built desktop PC with an i7 3770K (@4.2 Ghz), 8 Gig RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit.
  #3  
Old 2012-10-03, 21:05
bobby769 bobby769 is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 17
Yeah, I'm using ASIO Drivers.
I've heard that increasing latency comes w/ it's own issues.
Have I heard incorrectly?

Also, your comment about onboard sound cards lacking sex appeal, so does that mean that it's better to have a discreet card?

So far I've only looked at Dell and I can't find any of their laptops that allow for upgraded sound cards.

TYVM for your input.
  #4  
Old 2012-10-03, 22:20
Grumbleweed's Avatar
Grumbleweed Grumbleweed is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 6,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby769 View Post
Yeah, I'm using ASIO Drivers.
I've heard that increasing latency comes w/ it's own issues.
Have I heard incorrectly?

Also, your comment about onboard sound cards lacking sex appeal, so does that mean that it's better to have a discreet card?

So far I've only looked at Dell and I can't find any of their laptops that allow for upgraded sound cards.

TYVM for your input.
Increasing latency isn't great for live recording but it'll do wonders for your device count . It won't hurt anything if you do increase it.
If you are using high bit/sample rates that'll hurt your cpu as well.

Onboard soundcards are not in the same league as a dedicated (external) audio interface - that's why they exist.

Grum.
__________________
Soundcloud Soundclick Bandcamp DeadSpace
Reason 7, Sonar X3e Producer, Balance, Chillblast built desktop PC with an i7 3770K (@4.2 Ghz), 8 Gig RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit.
  #5  
Old 2012-10-04, 18:18
bobby769 bobby769 is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 17
Fortunately (I think) i'm not quite ready to subject anyone to a live performance.
:-)

I'll try messing around w/ the latency settings as you suggested.
I also started looking into sound card upgrades and it looks like Creative inc is really my only option. I've heard that MAudio would be the way to go but it looks like they don't make laptop sound cards.
  #6  
Old 2012-10-04, 22:52
Grumbleweed's Avatar
Grumbleweed Grumbleweed is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 6,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby769 View Post
Fortunately (I think) i'm not quite ready to subject anyone to a live performance.
:-)

I'll try messing around w/ the latency settings as you suggested.
I also started looking into sound card upgrades and it looks like Creative inc is really my only option. I've heard that MAudio would be the way to go but it looks like they don't make laptop sound cards.
If you have USB ports any external soundcard that uses USB connection is available for your pleasure. Think outside of the box .

Grum.
__________________
Soundcloud Soundclick Bandcamp DeadSpace
Reason 7, Sonar X3e Producer, Balance, Chillblast built desktop PC with an i7 3770K (@4.2 Ghz), 8 Gig RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit.
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Computer to slow to play song message HELP ! soulp Phead User Forum (read only) 10 2012-12-16 03:59
Compuer too slow - NO IT ISN'T!!!! childbirth General Forum (read only) 17 2008-11-19 09:52
Slow performance on Mac OSX ? Anyone else ? orobus General Forum (read only) 5 2002-09-10 07:50
computer too slow? -optimize song message tjpark General Forum (read only) 4 2002-08-26 12:40


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 15:10.