Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Feature Suggestion Forum

Old 2012-10-05, 21:06

Smile Allow trial Rack Extension license to be stored on hardware authentication device

Currently, if you want to try a Rack Extension, you have to unplug whatever license key hardware you have, restart Reason, and authenticate over the Internet. If that hardware happens to be Balance, it's extremely inconvenient to keep having to unplug it and plug it back in.

The only solution for users like myself then, is not to store my license on Balance and always authenticate via the Internet... but then if for any reason my Internet connection is down one day, I'm completely stuck and cannot use Reason at all.

Simple solution: Please make it possible to store the temporary trial license for Rack Extensions on the hardware license device (USB dongle or Balance).
Old 2012-10-06, 02:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0thr4 View Post
you have to unplug whatever license key hardware you have, restart Reason...
I don't have to unplug my ignition key to use Reason with internet verification. Are you sure you need to unplug your key?

It'd be nice if there was a way to put trial licenses on the key, but I bet there's a reason they don't allow it, and it might even be a good one.

Brought to you by Carl's Jr.
Old 2012-10-25, 20:07

Quote:
I don't have to unplug my ignition key to use Reason with internet verification. Are you sure you need to unplug your key?
Is the reason you don't have to unplug your key because you haven't registered your license to that key? I'm a balance user and I have the same issue as the OP.

Also, I don't like just wrenching out the USB cable from balance - and I can't "Eject Balance" because Windows 7 tells me that it's in use. Windows is right, it's my primary sound device - and so the trial RE's become even more obnoxious.
As of the time of writing this, if I want to trial a RE, I have to shut down my computer, unplug balance, boot up, load reason, verify via the cloud and then plug balance back in.

That convoluted process actually makes the final step of plugging in Balance, completely redundant, as Reason will still only utilize my DX audio drivers - the result of which, is terrible latency. Here's a second vote for the Props to fix this, as the trial RE's are virtually useless to me until something changes.

Perhaps adding a menu option to "sync via cloud" would solve the problem, whilst avoiding the security issues that offline trial RE's would imply.

Last edited by Ceefax; 2012-11-04 at 17:14. Reason: facepalm