Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Feature Suggestion Forum

Old 2012-10-06, 09:23

Thumbs up More features in Kong Drum Designer

In Kong there are only two FX slots (FX1 and FX2) while there are 11 FX settings we can choose from.
See screenshots:

Would love to be able to use 11 slots (for all FX) instead of 2 so we can finetune sounds even more.
Old 2012-10-06, 14:38

I agree it would be nice to have more fx slots, but 11 might be overkill. I don't think you need all 11 of those fx on one sound.
Old 2012-10-06, 15:08

You're right QVprod. 11 effects on a drum sound??? I have learned to use effects only when I need them, not to use them just because I have them regardless whether I need them or not. Less is more sometimes.
Reason 6.5, Radical Piano, Radical Keys, Korg Polysix, Re-Tron, Polar, Pulsar, Saturation Knob, RoughRider, Loudness Meter, Uhbik-A, Echobode, PDT2, PCV, Glitch, Morfin XF Crossfader, WBL 5515, CV Suite Line Processor, ReMark, Scope Junior, Line 6 Pod Farm, Chris Hein Guitars, Rayzoon Jamstix, Studio One 2.6 Professional, Reaper, Cakewalk UA-25 EX, Clavia Nord Stage, AMD Turion 64x2, Windows 7 32-bit, 4 GB RAM

Old 2012-10-06, 17:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by something View Post
In Kong there are only two FX slots (FX1 and FX2) while there are 11 FX settings we can choose from.
Would love to be able to use 11 slots (for all FX) instead of 2 so we can finetune sounds even more.
yhea 11 fx by pad nice ! I would also love 11 samples by pad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulred67 View Post
You're right QVprod. 11 effects on a drum sound??? I have learned to use effects only when I need them, not to use them just because I have them regardless whether I need them or not. Less is more sometimes.
sometimes it's the fx that make the sound so special, I almost never use sound packs apart from reason only one so fx are my huge refill , it's my fx that sculpt the samples to make a new sound for my drums!

It's like gambling !!!
but you get something out the slot everytime you click ! lol

▓▓▓
dಠಠb
_(Θ)_

No Respect for the Talion Law , I whant it All !
Old 2012-10-06, 18:54

Look guys, Kong is a drum DESIGNER tool.
So in my opinion, the more effects and features it offers, the more and uniquer the sounds (in this case drums) can be.
I don't say we all have to use all 11 FX at once.
That's all up to you of course.
But being able to use them all 11 at once offers more opportunity to be even more creative.
Old 2012-10-06, 20:07

As I said more fx slots would be great but seriously 11 is really overkill, you will actually end up destroying your drum sound rather than make it into something. getting a drum sound with that much on it would be a pain to fit in mix. Besides there are certain fx you wont need when designing your drums like tone-as per your screenshot. The non sample based drums in kong already have a tone knob among other things for sculpting your sound. The fx will only enhance whats already there. I'd say maybe about 4 or 5 fx slots should be enough. but then again there's always the mix channel approach.
Old 2012-10-06, 22:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by QVprod View Post
As I said more fx slots would be great but seriously 11 is really overkill, you will actually end up destroying your drum sound rather than make it into something. getting a drum sound with that much on it would be a pain to fit in mix. Besides there are certain fx you wont need when designing your drums like tone-as per your screenshot. The non sample based drums in kong already have a tone knob among other things for sculpting your sound. The fx will only enhance whats already there. I'd say maybe about 4 or 5 fx slots should be enough. but then again there's always the mix channel approach.
You're missing the point....
Old 2012-10-07, 00:29

The only point I'm missing is why my drums should sound like Jumbo Jet. I want my drums to sound like drums. Either more traditional or more experimental. And IMO Kong is just a great tool for this as it is now (with 2 insert slots, 1 send slot and 1 master slot) and tweaking options of sound modelling and Nano NT instruments. After all, you can always route separate drums/percussion sound to separate Mix Channels and apply some insert/send effects and SSL EQ/dynamics during mixxing stage.
Reason 6.5, Radical Piano, Radical Keys, Korg Polysix, Re-Tron, Polar, Pulsar, Saturation Knob, RoughRider, Loudness Meter, Uhbik-A, Echobode, PDT2, PCV, Glitch, Morfin XF Crossfader, WBL 5515, CV Suite Line Processor, ReMark, Scope Junior, Line 6 Pod Farm, Chris Hein Guitars, Rayzoon Jamstix, Studio One 2.6 Professional, Reaper, Cakewalk UA-25 EX, Clavia Nord Stage, AMD Turion 64x2, Windows 7 32-bit, 4 GB RAM

Old 2012-10-07, 09:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulred67 View Post
The only point I'm missing is why my drums should sound like Jumbo Jet. I want my drums to sound like drums. Either more traditional or more experimental. And IMO Kong is just a great tool for this as it is now (with 2 insert slots, 1 send slot and 1 master slot) and tweaking options of sound modelling and Nano NT instruments. After all, you can always route separate drums/percussion sound to separate Mix Channels and apply some insert/send effects and SSL EQ/dynamics during mixxing stage.
You might not need this feature request for the physical drums in Kong.
But it would be great for the synth drums in Kong.
Old 2012-10-07, 09:42

Probably the most people who are not interested in this are users who create Rock kinda music.
If you create House, Trance, Tech-House, Drum 'n Bass, etc. you'll love to be able to have the freedom to create more and unique synth drums.