Propellerhead Software
Old 2012-10-09, 04:54

FLAC support

Hi props!! less charge, less take to load. thanks.
Old 2012-10-09, 08:04

Google "FLAC vs WAV" and you'll find out that there is no audible difference between these two.
Only the FLAC filesize is quite bigger than WAV, so obviously i would not agree with this feature request.

Although Propellerhead can add it as addition to WAV, but then i would rather see MP3 import+export coming to Reason.
Old 2012-10-09, 15:56

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by something View Post
Google "FLAC vs WAV" and you'll find out that there is no audible difference between these two.
Only the FLAC filesize is quite bigger than WAV, so obviously i would not agree with this feature request.

Although Propellerhead can add it as addition to WAV, but then i would rather see MP3 import+export coming to Reason.
That's wrong! FLAC is a free compressed lossless (=bit identical to the original .wav) audio codec which saves about 30-50% of file size.

So adding FLAC import and export to reason would be very nice so we could convert our sample libraries to FLAC and save some (ssd) disk space.
Old 2012-10-09, 16:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjams View Post
That's wrong! FLAC is a free compressed lossless (=bit identical to the original .wav) audio codec which saves about 30-50% of file size.

So adding FLAC import and export to reason would be very nice so we could convert our sample libraries to FLAC and save some (ssd) disk space.
Read this http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/KB/WAV-FLAC.htm and see the sources on the bottom of the page.
Old 2012-10-09, 16:59

Talking

No offense, something, but you should really read and try to understand the page you link to as it states:
1. "All these testing invariably yield the same result; WAV and FLAC are bit identical."
2. FLAC filesize < WAV filesize
Old 2012-10-09, 18:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjams View Post
No offense, something, but you should really read and try to understand the page you link to as it states:
1. "All these testing invariably yield the same result; WAV and FLAC are bit identical."
2. FLAC filesize < WAV filesize
Alright i must have misread it but FLAC requires more CPU resources though, which is definitely not what Propellerhead want if you know that the audio quality is the same.
Old 2012-10-10, 00:12

A little more CPU use but lower IO demands when loading a sample might even be beneficial for loading larger samples. And after a sample has been loaded by reason it does not matter what format it was before loading it into RAM.

So to summarize: FLAC offers advantages over WAV and can be used free of charge, so it would be very nice if FLAC support could be added to reason.
Old 2012-10-10, 00:44

flac in reason +1, and ogg, and mp3 too

thanks
Old 2012-11-19, 02:13

I would appreciate FLAC support, too. I ripped my CD collection to FLAC, and it sure would make sampling easier.

And no fee-based license issues for the Props!

As for CPU usage, I don't think it takes a whole heck of a lot to decompress a FLAC file. When I run Foobar 2000 idle, it consumes between 0 and 2% of my crappy Pentium 4. While playing a FLAC file, it consumes between 0 abd 2% of the CPU.

No, I did not mistype. The hit on the CPU decompressing the FLAC is negligible.

And now that I think about it, all I care about is the capability to import FLAC files. Once imported, like any audio, I suppose it is in whatever format Reason uses internally. Decompressing CPU usage is irrelevant.

Ye Olde FishCAM

Last edited by jkheal; 2012-11-19 at 02:27.