Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2012-10-09, 19:45
YukiH

Reason 6.5 Student edition or upgrading reason 5?

Hello,

I'm doing a project for a music class and I have to use reason. I installed reason 6.5 on my computer as a demo, and obviously cannot re-open the file I created... After lurking on the boards I noticed that reason 6 cannot open reason 6.5 files, nor can reason 6/6.5 save as a lower version of itself for piracy reasons.

My project is due relatively soon and I managed to get a legal copy of reason 2.5 and reason 5 from my sibling and his friend. I want to know if:

1. I can essentially install reason 2.5 or reason 5 and do an upgrade online or do I actually have to pay $169 and wait for it to ship?

2. Would it be better to buy the student edition of reason 6.5 instead? How does the student edition verify your enrollment, is the edition partnered with certain institutions (I know programs like autocad are)?

...or if someone really wants to help, I would appreciate it if someone who has reason 6.5 can convert my file to midi.
Old 2012-10-09, 20:26

You can upgrade online and props ship the boxes to you but the upgrade is instant so you can use 6.5 straight away.
There isn't a student edition of 6.5 as far as i'm aware of all though this may just be for the multi licenses
You're probably best off doing the first option once you have the Reason 5 or 2.5 license on your account you wish to have 6.5 on
Old 2012-10-09, 21:12

Just to make sure that you are aware:

1. The licenses for either 2.5 and/or 5.0 will need to be transferred to your account before you can register an upgrade.

and....

The first full version acts as a "base" license for all future upgrades and are linked together. So.....

2. If the previous owners of 2.5/5.0 have already upgraded - when they transfer the licenses, all attached licenses and upgrades will be transferred along with them.

Otherwise - once they have transferred the license to you, you can buy the upgrade and away you go.
Old 2012-10-09, 22:40
YukiH

@Arsenic: I found a link regarding transferring to my account... Can I also transfer back to the original user afterwards if I no longer want to use the program?

@both of you:
Just to clarify I assume I literally buy the upgrade here: https://www.propellerheads.se/shop/i...00010&Cat=1000 and once I buy the upgrade I will have to type in my account information and it will upgrade and I will instantly be able to use 6.5, but then I'll get an actual package with an ignition key in the mail?

@Villa: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/deta...son6Stu&SID=0# This is what I found, so I assume it might be legit.
Old 2012-10-09, 22:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukiH View Post
@Arsenic: I found a link regarding transferring to my account... Can I also transfer back to the original user afterwards if I no longer want to use the program?
You can transfer the license back when you have finished - but the same will apply - If you buy the upgrade and transfer the license back, the upgrade will go with it, so you will no longer have Reason. You will just need to de-authorise the ignition key before the transfer can take place.

Once the earlier license is on your account, order the upgrade on-line. I believe the upgrade will be automatically registered to your account. If you already have the demo installed, you can use internet verification until you receive your boxed copy - this will contain the ignition key, which you can then write your license too, and then use Reason without internet verification.

$169 seems a pretty big hit to take for short term use though.
Old 2012-10-09, 23:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukiH View Post

@both of you:
Just to clarify I assume I literally buy the upgrade here: https://www.propellerheads.se/shop/i...00010&Cat=1000 and once I buy the upgrade I will have to type in my account information and it will upgrade and I will instantly be able to use 6.5, but then I'll get an actual package with an ignition key in the mail?

@Villa: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/deta...son6Stu&SID=0# This is what I found, so I assume it might be legit.
License transfer can take a few working days btw. Once you upgrade a license that license must stick with the upgrade so in answer, no you wouldnt be able to transfer the base license back to the original owner and still have reason 6 in your account. That last link requires no base license so seems to be your best bet to be fair, it's the full version at student price as long as you can prove you're a student
Old 2012-10-09, 23:09

Make sure it's the Teacher/Student edition and not the EDU edition.