Propellerhead Software
Old 2012-10-07, 14:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upright View Post
If you aren't a SERIOUS traveling producer or someone that relies on a mobile rig then don't get a laptop. I was just like you in thinking that if I grabbed a laptop I could have my studio everywhere I go,...as it turns out I don't use it AT ALL for producing or even starting scratch projects despite having Reason, Sonar, BPM and others installed on my Laptop. I do on the other hand have an iPad 3 that I use a lot at work to get ideas going. IMO it's easier to whip out the iPad and get in a zone than it is to bust out a laptop, boot it up, set up a keyboard or pad controller and launch software..etc.
Totally agree with every word above. Ipads kick reason in the face hard when it comes to music on the move. The electribe app as an example blows out of the water kong and the redrum device. Pitty kong isnt on ipad , kinda stupid move from the props imho
Old 2012-10-07, 15:15

electribe RE , that would be nice too.
Old 2012-10-08, 17:36

I use my ipad or indeed iphone alot in music creation it you want to get the most out of it unfortunately Reason isn't the best program to use with it. Basically what i have is the Irig divice that runs the core midi functions on just about every decent synth app available. Set up a midi out channel on something like Cubase and a stereo audio channel from your ipad directly onto an audio channel and basicaly you've got access to a world of very nice synths and effects. Animoog, IMS20, Camel audio, the list goes on.... Your Ipad is an amazing sound module with absolutely no comprimise that you can use on all manner of professional music production.. Yet another Reason why Reason needs a midi out function.. The IOS apps just keep getting better and are incredibly stable the Irig charges your pad or phone at the same time so a huge possibility for live use aswell. ;-P
Old 2012-10-08, 18:52

Yeah, it would be amazing to be able to sync reason and the Pad and send automation to the iMS20 mixer or whatnot.

The lack of MIDI out led me to shell out for Recycle. Its just the most reason friendly way to get my pad doodles in the Rack. Otherwise im stuck importing a wav to an audio track, but that doesnt let me lay three loops out in chunk triggers on a Kong. Instead of crawling through Recycle, just imagine hit play in reason with a synced iElectribe.

We need WIST in Reason! its already in props Pad apps.
Old 2012-10-09, 06:07

I would try to bite the bullet and get both. it's unrealistic that the iPad will have something comparable to reason 6 in a small amount of time...

also I find that using the IPAD in conjunction with reason is f--ing amazing.
being able to use the iPad's apps (korg ims20/animoog) as an audio input has been a huge step for getting more variety in my music making

I'd definitely choose the laptop over the iPad for production any day so if you can only have the laptop it's a good bet...but the iPad is amazing in it's own way so i'd encourage you to look into the possibility of investing in both somehow
Old 2012-10-09, 23:52

it would be interesting to see a video of someone actually using this apps to create something productive.

I personally feel I waste time with apps like these and nothing ever comes out of it. Now, I know this may just be a problem with me, but I've still yet to see something productive come from anyone else.
Old 2012-10-10, 10:15

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimphish View Post
it would be interesting to see a video of someone actually using this apps to create something productive.

I personally feel I waste time with apps like these and nothing ever comes out of it. Now, I know this may just be a problem with me, but I've still yet to see something productive come from anyone else.
There's no doubt you can be productive with iOS devices.

As somebody mentioned earlier, the best way to do this is probably to use ReCycle.

Most iOS music apps (Figure, GarageBand, iMaschine, iKaossilator, etc.) allow you to create small audio loops which you can export to your computer and are perfect ReCycle material.

Obviously whether you use your iPod or iPad depends on your workflow and habits but I find them incredible to quickly write down ideas before they slip away wherever I am or to just mess around.

Most of them are obviously not as flexible, complex and "powerful" as Reason and other DAWs but they are (IMHO) much, MUCH better for creativity and improvisation and allow you to just randomly mess around and come up with great ideas by accident (try out Figure or iKaossilator if you haven't yet). Obviously that 4 bar loop, cool as it is, is far from being a finished track. That's when Reason comes into play...

Importing and fleshing out basic ideas from wave files made on your iOS device is pretty much the perfect workflow for me.

Last edited by BoddAH; 2012-10-10 at 10:25.