Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Music Forum (read only)

Old 2012-10-11, 23:00

hey carl,

i don't know the original.... i do like the guitars, very nice.... there are a couple of spots that your vox seem to drop out a bit and i'd be curious to hear how that might differ if you go back in and add some saturation a bit... just a thought.

regardless, nice work and i'm glad to see you had fun doing it and have gotten lots of enthusiastic feedback about it.
Old 2012-10-12, 00:18

DM covers are risky business imo. There aren't many covers around where I don't yell "blasphemy!" out loud, in fact, only one cover comes to mind I thoroughly enjoy (Andain - Here is the house).

Your cover has something going for it also, but I'd preferred better vox (Nep-)tuning, it sometimes sounds off and clashes with the instruments.
It didn't knock me off my feet but a few improvements here and there could make things alot tighter.
Old 2012-10-12, 01:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh73888 View Post
What r u trying to do exactly
I think sh73888 is asking about the purpose of that list of DM songs you put up. It's just to give ideas of interesting songs to record for fun at some point.

By the way, Ed, I also love The Sun and the Rainfall and Blasphemous Rumours. Also, what about Death's Door? I think it was for a movie soundtrack or something. So many songs, so little time. I've also been kicking around doing a version of When in Rome's The Promise, it was one of the many DM-clone songs out at that time (a bit before Violator if I remember correctly).

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnelson View Post
hey carl,

i don't know the original.... i do like the guitars, very nice.... there are a couple of spots that your vox seem to drop out a bit and i'd be curious to hear how that might differ if you go back in and add some saturation a bit... just a thought.

regardless, nice work and i'm glad to see you had fun doing it and have gotten lots of enthusiastic feedback about it.
Thanks Holly! That's an interesting idea about the saturation. Would you recommend the Pulveriser or a Scream 4? In my opinion in some parts the vocals sound quite nice but they aren't completely consistent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlubeck View Post
DM covers are risky business imo. There aren't many covers around where I don't yell "blasphemy!" out loud, in fact, only one cover comes to mind I thoroughly enjoy (Andain - Here is the house).

Your cover has something going for it also, but I'd preferred better vox (Nep-)tuning, it sometimes sounds off and clashes with the instruments.
It didn't knock me off my feet but a few improvements here and there could make things alot tighter.
I agree it takes some guts to do a DM cover. This turned out to be a really hard song to sing. The vocal line isn't exactly on top of any instruments, it kind of weaves in-and-out if you know what I mean. I usually kill my vocals whenever I try Neptune, but this might be a good song to experiment with it. Thanks for the feedback!

Loading SoundCloud…
Old 2012-10-12, 06:09

well, i personally would go for the pulverizer because it adds umpfh as well as a bit of distortion, if you're so inclined.

i do think a bit of overall evening-out of the levels would be nice....but a smidge of grit could be the special spice. but not if you want to keep them as sugary as they are. if you haven't tried giles' leveler, that might do it for you with the least amount of work --- and then you could experiment with a pulvey or scream...or the saturation knob (love love it).

i agree with rlubeck's assessment about tweaking some of the pitching here and there, it really doesn't need much. don't go crazy with that t-pain sound, lol. unless you want to.

Last edited by hnelson; 2012-10-12 at 06:14.
Old 2012-10-12, 06:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecopro View Post
If you like to go back to their beginnings... these are my very best faves:

"Blasphemous Rumours" from "Some Great Reward"
"The Sun & the Rainfall" from "A Broken Frame"
BIG +1 for The Sun & The Rainfall

Eminent Domain Synth-Pop & Electronic Music Blog:
http://eminessence.wordpress.com

"Everything Counts In Large Amounts" - M.L. Gore