Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2012-10-13, 05:40

Computer too slow!!??? Why?!?!

Hey all

I have a Macbook Pro 2.26 Core2 Duo that lately has been acting up big time. I have 8GB of ram inside and songs that normally wouldn't flinch are glitching out of control with Reason 6.5.1. Running 0 RE's just two subtractors, 1 thor , 1 redrum, and 2 audio tracks with line 6 amps and the echo attatched. And now it stutters like mad. This is super frustrating as I am set to play live in a couple weeks with Reason since it's my production work horse but seriously? Glitching after just those? Either my system is dying or somethings happening with Reason.
Old 2012-10-13, 05:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexbrewer View Post
Hey all

I have a Macbook Pro 2.26 Core2 Duo that lately has been acting up big time. I have 8GB of ram inside and songs that normally wouldn't flinch are glitching out of control with Reason 6.5.1. Running 0 RE's just two subtractors, 1 thor , 1 redrum, and 2 audio tracks with line 6 amps and the echo attatched. And now it stutters like mad. This is super frustrating as I am set to play live in a couple weeks with Reason since it's my production work horse but seriously? Glitching after just those? Either my system is dying or somethings happening with Reason.
Core 2 need upgrade but if you only have one echo you either have a massive combi patch loaded or your buffer is low.
Old 2012-10-13, 09:28

You should also check other audio settings...especially the sample rate (96,000 would really be pushing it).

Another program could be taking up a lot of resources too. Look in Activity Monitor and make sure that your CPU and RAM aren't being eaten up by something else.
Old 2012-10-13, 09:29

I run a quad core with 12gb of ram with reason 6 without the 6.5 update. I use mostly combinators and both music and effects. Reason 6 is not Reason 4 as far as cpu efficiency. It can suck up some juice depending on your arrangements. Those extensions can also do the same from what people tell me, which is another reason I am sticking with 6.02.

Best to upgrade to a quad core 64bit machine, and make sure your using a very capable sound device. I had to upgrade from a audigy 2 card to a mbox 2 (the one with midi) just this week and it really makes a difference. I was getting audio stuttering and CPU warning with my quad only at 60%. If the audio device can't handle the data then you will get those messages even if your cpu is humming along.
Old 2012-10-13, 09:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by tardisboy View Post
I had to upgrade from a audigy 2 card to a mbox 2 (the one with midi) just this week and it really makes a difference..
You got the mBox instead of Balance???! You dissappoint me, son.

Old 2012-10-13, 22:32

Me too in you, what kind of answer is that? bummer!
Even a spelling error in the image so who must be taken seriously?
The Artist is named: 'Son' and his track is called 'I am Disappoint'...

Last edited by mnieuwhof; 2012-10-13 at 22:36.
Old 2012-10-13, 22:40

Quote:
Hey all

I have a Macbook pro 2009 version with 8gb of memory and Mountain Lion.
I found out that 96khz was a problemmaker... mY external Motu card can handle it but my Macbook not... changed to 44khz and voila... all went much better...
Old 2012-10-14, 00:30

try switching 'multi core processing' off. Or, if it is off, turn it on.
Old 2012-10-16, 00:43

Quote:
Hey all

Core2Duo is really pushing it, hate to say it but I think it's too slow to run RE's and all of Reason's goodness. That being said the stutter problems seem to be an issue with your audio interface. Perhaps your buffer is to small?
Old 2012-10-16, 04:32

I have 8GB of ram, running 44100 and an Apogee Duet. This is a fast unit. My buffer is usually 512 or 1024 unless i am recording then its 256. Honestly its just annoying that I have such a unit and its too slow. I can run the same if not more on ableton but not reason anymore since 6.5. Hate to be a complainer but I got gigs and music to write in limited amounts of time so I need whats efficient and quick like what Reason used to be. Hopefully the new update will fix the problems.