Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2012-10-13, 12:42

Angry Copy protection paranoia

As a long year user of Reason I seriously consider to quit using it after seeing this very annoying and partwise not working process of installation. This Ignition key is the most annoying thing ever and even being logged in to the site.. Having my license details, my computer MacOSx doesn´t find the key. Also I perform live a lot and I really have to check if it possible to use the ignition key on tour. Sounds frustrating already since I normally use both USB ports for controllers and keyboard and now i have to buy a HUB to use that key ???? This is De-Evolution and stops the creative process I got used to with the program.

Last edited by TTTOY; 2012-10-13 at 12:53.
Old 2012-10-13, 12:49

No key, no REs Companies don't give their software into the hands of other companies that do that have proper safety mechanisms in place (see e.g. DRM in consoles and blue-ray players).
Old 2012-10-13, 12:59

I don´t understand your answer.. I use a lot of original software and other companies (and also Reason until version 5) was GREAT to use on tour.. Now it unfortunately looks like I have to skip to another alternative (after spending 150€ for the upgrade).. Maybe you have an advise, rather than very clever Sonylutions. I agree that they want to sell their product, but License keycode, Online registration, server check should be enough maybe ? It just arrived by post and i can´t install it and it looks dificut to use in the future..
Best, TTT

Last edited by TTTOY; 2012-10-13 at 13:02.
Old 2012-10-13, 13:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTTOY View Post
I don´t understand your answer.. I use a lot of original software and other companies (and also Reason until version 5) was GREAT to use on tour.. Now it unfortunately looks like I have to skip to another alternative (after spending 150€ for the upgrade).. Maybe you have an advise, rather than very clever Sonylutions. I agree that they want to sell their product, but License keycode, Online registration, server check should be enough maybe ? It just arrived by post and i can´t install it and it looks dificut to use in the future..
Best, TTT
You do not understand.. Lets put it this way: Would you put your money to the bank if they didn't have a safe? Right. Thats how all the RE developers feel too.

Btw you can just use an online login instead of the key.
Old 2012-10-13, 13:15

Quote:
As a long year user of Reason I seriously consider to quit using it after seeing this very annoying and partwise not working process of installation. This Ignition key is the most annoying thing ever and even being logged in to the site.. Having my license details, my computer MacOSx doesn´t find the key. Also I perform live a lot and I really have to check if it possible to use the ignition key on tour. Sounds frustrating already since I normally use both USB ports for controllers and keyboard and now i have to buy a HUB to use that key ???? This is De-Evolution and stops the creative process I got used to with the program.
Yep, a hardware dongle looks silly in 2012, I agree. However, I did not have any problems installing the software, activating it or getting the IK to work. Are you sure you followed the installation instructions to the letter? You should also contact support and they should get back to you very soon to lend you a hand. In the meantime check out the support faq:

https://www.propellerheads.se/suppor...e=reason65_faq
Old 2012-10-13, 13:16

Dear Hansen, don´t take it personally... - As a musician I really understand very well the benefit of money coming back for your work in times of the new download mentality And I agree,, totally agree that they want to protect their work. Still, companies like Ableton, Native Instruments etc. seem to handle it more customer friendly for professional touring artists. Maybe there is room to improve their system.. Since I don´t know if I always be connected to the internet when i want to make music, or maybe i want to use two USB devices and not waste one port for that. That´s all..
Old 2012-10-13, 13:17

Quote:
Dear Hansen, don´t take it personally... - As a musician I really understand very well the benefit of money coming back for your work in times of the new download mentality And I agree,, totally agree that they want to protect their work. Still, companies like Ableton, Native Instruments etc. seem to handle it more customer friendly for professional touring artists. Maybe there is room to improve their system.. Since I don´t know if I always be connected to the internet when i want to make music, or maybe i want to use two USB devices and not waste one port for that. That´s all..
Nothing taken personally Companies like Ableton and NI do not sell other peoples stuff with their copy protection, its about the REs! In the worst case you have 3 dongles with Ableton. One Steinberg key, one iLok and one proprietary one

Btw you can get the balance interface and have it integrated there already

Last edited by normen; 2012-10-13 at 13:21.
Old 2012-10-13, 13:18

I got the update now 6.5.1 and got it working.. Thanks Bonez!
Old 2012-10-13, 17:34

hey TTOY, you mentioned you want to use Reason live and are a bit weary of taking the ignition key on tour with you. I've never used anything but Reason live since 2009 (when I joined) so maybe you can find some assurance in this.

I mounted a 7 port USB hub into my rack (physical rack, not reasons rack) and keep my Ignition key plugged into that. So, it always stayed plugged in (until I need to update the licenses). The part about this, at the moment I I use 4 USB devices and plug them all into the hub and then only have 1 USB ran to my computer. So it doesn't look messy and I can hide the hub in my rack.

Really though, the main point is, now that you have your Ignition key working, don't let it hinder your use of Reason live!
Old 2012-10-13, 18:03

Just put it on your keychain, plug it in when you boot up Reason and then take it out and put it back in your pocket.. presto!