Propellerhead Software
Old 2012-10-12, 11:01

DSP-Card for Reason !!!

Hello from Germany.

I'd like to see a DSP card! Specially for Reason!

The DSP card, preferably one with 8 Motorola Shark chips on it could then, for example, calculate the SSL Compressor and/or 64-128 SSL-Mixer Channels or Effects or Killer-Synths, without stressing the computer

-----------------------------------------

It would also be possible to expand the RE-SDK!!!!
So it would be possible to code a real Monster Synth or Reverb Effekt or something which consume a lot of computing power ;-)
perhaps it would be possible to use many existing DSP plugins?

-UAudio UAD-2
-TC-Powercore
-SSL-Duende
-Creamware/Sonic Core Scope

This Card can be the USB-Dongle, also!

Assuming a video card that costs $ 100 today,
Then the video-card had much more computing power in the Folatpoint than a conventional CPU!
Such a DSP card would cost you maybe $ 20-30 (in production)
naturally without the software development

------------------------------

It would also be possible to combine a real big modular system with this card. ~ 30 really fat sounding modules, and these can be loaded to the DSP. and the modules have no use of the computer CPU. ;-)

Just like a Clavia Nord Modular, for example.
One of the best VA-Modular Synths i have ever heard!!!
(only the first Modular 1)

------------------------------

The devil says:
A DSP Card with 8x400Mhz Shark Chips !
Like the new UAD-2 Octo !
That would catapult Reason into the 22 century!

And I can tell you:
DSP plugins color the sound quite to a different corner!

I had a UAD-2 Duo, a TC-Powercore with Virus, MD3, VSS3, and a Scope with Minimax and the Modular System! BUT: In Cobination with the native VST plugins in Cubase4-5-6 it was unfortunately NOT stable!!!

sorry for the bad grammar and thanks to google translate: D
Old 2012-10-12, 11:27

-UAudio UAD-2 => octo at 1500 usd (and next certainly DEAD),plugins's price goes up every 6 month and the new most accurate plugin take at least one DSP)
-TC-Powercore => DEAD (1300 usd) => no more support
-SSL-Duende => DEAD (1300 usd) => take the native route
-Creamware/Sonic Core Scope => DEAD one time, Reborn but almost dead (about 1500 usd),

I can also add liquid mix : it's no more supported too

do you really want a dsp dongle that would cost around 1000 usd and would be underpowered only 6 month after it is released ?

and do you really want more audio latency ?

no way,

for owning 2 UAD-1 and 1 quad UAD-2 + several (about 30) UAD plugins I can tell you DSP dongle is the worst idea for Reason, it's a dead end.

the ignition key cost 30 usd and works well, no need to spend 1000 usd and more in something we certainly couldn't use anymore on the next computer we will have in the next 2 years.

reason and RE are native, the day they add DSP support that just mean more work to support them so it means that the RE at 25 usd will be at 50 usd ect ect ect

DSP dongle, no way thank you !!!

Last edited by chou; 2012-10-12 at 11:43.
Old 2012-10-12, 12:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by chou View Post

-UAudio UAD-2 => octo at 1500 usd (and next certainly DEAD),plugins's price goes up every 6 month and the new most accurate plugin take at least one DSP)
-TC-Powercore => DEAD (1300 usd) => no more support
-SSL-Duende => DEAD (1300 usd) => take the native route
-Creamware/Sonic Core Scope => DEAD one time, Reborn but almost dead (about 1500 usd),
I can also add liquid mix : it's no more supported too
dying ??
it should be developed! By the Propp
they can create PCI, PCIe, USB2-3 and FireWire Cards.

Quote:
do you really want a dsp dongle that would cost around 1000 usd and would be underpowered only 6 month after it is released ?
if this card has a lot of DSP Power --> why not??
if I can buy monitoring systems that cost $1000 and more,
i can also buy a sequencer for $ 2000!

Quote:
and do you really want more audio latency ?
never bothered me ..
I think this is negligible
*if there is a button to disable all global latency hungry plugins.

--------------

In total I imagine it like this:

three Versions:
1. Reason Essentials
2. Reason
3. Reason DSP

the DSP Card and Reason with DSP Software should be only an option.
for high class producing of music
i would buy a VSS3, MD3, TC-Virus, SC-Minimax, 1176LN, LA-2A, DreamVerb, Neve Channel Strip, etc.pp.. clone for Reason DSP immediately ;-)

Quote:
With the Virus|PowerCore Unlimited License, a PowerCore with 4 DSPs allows for 64 voices of polyphony and 16-parts multi-timbrality (configured as 4 individual instances, with 4 multi-timbral parts and 16 voices, each). If you combine four 4 DSPs PowerCores, you'll have a 256 voice polyphonic and 64-part multi-timbral virtual analog synth and FX monster (configured as 16 individual instances, with 4 multi-timbral parts and 16 voices, each)!!
The old UAD-1 has been produced for less than $20.
These were nothing more than old graphic cards chips..

I think it would be good and I would buy it as well
Old 2012-10-12, 14:44

"i would buy a VSS3, MD3, TC-Virus, SC-Minimax, 1176LN, LA-2A, DreamVerb, Neve Channel Strip, etc.pp.. clone for Reason DSP immediately ;-)"

but TC won't release those plugins for RE SDK nor UA, since it's force them to port their existing code to the RE SDK and perhaps to another programming langage.

"and do you really want more audio latency ?
never bothered me ..
I think this is negligible"

negligible perhaps for someone who just make a collection of plugins but certainly not for the peoples who use them.

"The old UAD-1 has been produced for less than $20."

and they sold them about 350 usd to the final customers,

a shark DSP cost about 30-40 usd, but a quad is still sold for 1000 usd, an octo, the flagship, 1500 usd (wich can run only 8 massive passive eq)

you won't have dsp solution at 100 € since PH need to make investement for the DSP plateform in itself + extra developpment for DSP langage since RE sdk is for native CPU + extra customer support due to DSP plateform issues => wich mean extra cost for the final consumer and a lot of time wasted for a dsp solution wich is a solution of the past that only excite 3 peoples on this forum.

the only thing at the end is DSP limitaion + extra cost with no any true advantages, this is why most DSP plateform failed in the past, native CPU just evolve faster with lower prices,

UA can still sell DSP cards because they still offer specific and exclusive plugins peoples want because of genius marketting techniques.

but just keep your money for your next computer, it's by far a best investment (especially for a computer at 1500 usd)

Last edited by chou; 2012-10-12 at 15:10.
Old 2012-10-15, 17:00

where is the difference between DSP and CPU limitation?

DSP cards can expand it easily.
if you need a new CPU, then mostly also a new mainboard.
New memory, a new power supply .. etc.
And you have to reinstall ALL the software.
a DSP card is easily installed and you are done!!

Of course all this costs a lot of money .
But everything costs money!

In addition this is just an idea
Old 2012-10-15, 19:35

"where is the difference between DSP and CPU limitation?"

mainly the price,

but also CPU evolve way faster than DSP,

so it's about price and power, DSP system are underpowered and overpriced the day a company released it,

and that will force DSP plugins companies to make more and more compromises when native plugins dev just will take the advantage of fast native CPU evolution (with no extra cost due to an esoteric DSP management that also often force you to buy another computer).

DSP system is just an anti piracy system, since PH use one that work for 30 usd I don't see any interest in a 1500 usd dongle

just buy a 1500 usd modern computer instead
Old 2012-10-15, 20:20

I am embarrased to admit how much my powercore firecore with virus plug in (which i cant use in reason, since no midi out...) is worth....
A fantastic system, and works like acharm in dp or live...but right now reason is my creative muse...