Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Feature Suggestion Forum

Old 2012-10-11, 16:40

Schwarzwalder kirschtorte?! With unlimited slices! Yum!

Oh I meant to say... I think it was in another thread, I mentioned to try the big rexes in audio tracks, and I think you said yeah, you know you can use them in Reaper... Well, in case I wasn't clear, I meant importing the REX files directly into audio tracks in *Reason/Record*'s sequencer. Does any slice limit exist there?

(I know you still want Dr's limitation lifted, but maybe you can at least use these files in Reason somehow.)
Old 2012-10-12, 06:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhsh View Post
Schwarzwalder kirschtorte?! With unlimited slices! Yum!
Is there a smiley available with licking lips?... :-P

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhsh View Post
I think it was in another thread, I mentioned to try the big rexes in audio tracks, and I think you said yeah, you know you can use them in Reaper... Well, in case I wasn't clear, I meant importing the REX files directly into audio tracks in *Reason/Record*'s sequencer. Does any slice limit exist there?
I haven't count the slices, but it seemed that they were all there and none has gone. I just wanted to test if files in REX format could be opend by any other program and tested it with my DAW. And Reaper did it. I opened one of the files that cannot be open with Dr.OctoRex, and Tataaaaa: in Reaper there was this file, with many many many markers for the slices. I think there were no limits with slices in Reaper, since Reaper opened this file without any claim.
Old 2012-10-12, 09:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigmuntowski View Post
I haven't count the slices, but it seemed that they were all there and none has gone. I just wanted to test if files in REX format could be opend by any other program and tested it with my DAW. And Reaper did it. I opened one of the files that cannot be open with Dr.OctoRex, and Tataaaaa: in Reaper there was this file, with many many many markers for the slices. I think there were no limits with slices in Reaper, since Reaper opened this file without any claim.
I was expecting that... I suppose there has to be a limit on the Doktor, because slices are to be kind of edited, but this seems too low...

Suggestion #1 for Pheads: what about a little patch for Recycle that, when saving more than 92 slices, issues a warning that it will not be compatible with Reason Dr.Rex ? that would give a warning to loop producers.

Suggestion #2 for Pheads: Issue a warning, but load the first 92 slices of the REX anyway (I'm assuming the Doktor is not behaving like this, that it doens't load the REX at all - I don't remember, and I can't seem to find a REX with more that 92 slices)

Suggestion #3 for Pheads: Raise the limit
Old 2012-10-12, 09:49
Propellerhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrocaetanos View Post
But 92 is a too strange number for a limit. So there must be a not so obvious reason that justifies it. If it was an arbitrary choice it would be 100 or 128, something like this, not 92! Unless the programmer was in a funny mood
The REX players are instruments tha load REX files and play them back according to incoming MIDI notes. There are 128 MIDI notes available. We use the first 36 notes/keys for transposing, stopping and trigging loops. The rest, 128-36=92, are used to trigger individual slices.
Check out the "Reason MIDI key mapping" in the "MIDI Implementation Charts" pdf for how the MIDI notes are mapped.

The 92 slice limit is not applicable when importing REX files to an audio track.
Old 2012-10-12, 10:43

@John: Thanks !

Not a bug, the reasoning makes totally sense (I knew this number couldnt have come out of nothing ), we simply din't RTFM! Shame on us

@Sigmuntowski: not only you get an error, but you can't load the REX, right?
@John: What about loading the REX, anyway, truncating the slices? Any obstacles? Although the loop might get not so usable, not loading it, for sure makes it unusable, so, not much to loose...
(that would be my previous suggestion #2
#3 is obviouslly cancelled , and I suppose loop producers should RTFM, so #1 looses importance)

(This once again raises the issue of lower quality in the loop library. Sound and musical quality may be good, but "packaging" standards are on the low side... pity...)
Old 2012-10-15, 22:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
There are 128 MIDI notes available. We use the first 36 notes/keys for transposing, stopping and trigging loops. The rest, 128-36=92, are used to trigger individual slices.
Okay, this does make absolutely sense, and the limit of 92 slices is therefore untouchable.

Quote:
@Sigmuntowski: not only you get an error, but you can't load the REX, right?
That's right. When I try to load one of these REX files, I get a message in the Reason's file browser that I cannot load this file because of more than 92 slices. And the file is not loaded.

Quote:
This once again raises the issue of lower quality in the loop library. Sound and musical quality may be good, but "packaging" standards are on the low side
I also think so. Perhaps even third programmers should read the specifications for REX files.
Old 2012-10-15, 22:30
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
The REX players are instruments tha load REX files and play them back according to incoming MIDI notes. There are 128 MIDI notes available. We use the first 36 notes/keys for transposing, stopping and trigging loops. The rest, 128-36=92, are used to trigger individual slices.
Check out the "Reason MIDI key mapping" in the "MIDI Implementation Charts" pdf for how the MIDI notes are mapped.

The 92 slice limit is not applicable when importing REX files to an audio track.
Mmm, I thought that limitation caused by little Rex Player window!