Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2012-10-01, 20:28

Last edited by omshanti20; 2013-05-10 at 06:48.
Old 2012-10-01, 20:38

Assuming you mean the gain level at the very top of each slider, I don't really see how that would affect the overall volume, as I'd only then be bringing the slider level back up to compensate the gain drop which would ultimately bring me back to the same level wouldn't it?

Apologies if that's a totally backwards way of thinking, but I figure that's how it would work?

Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 2012-10-01, 20:44

Last edited by omshanti20; 2013-05-10 at 06:48.
Old 2012-10-01, 21:28

Use the mclass maximizer as the last device before the hardware interface with the 4ms lookahead. That should stop any clipping.

with my band:
Loading SoundCloud…
Old 2012-10-01, 21:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by omshanti20 View Post
There's a gain dial at the top of each mixer channel as well as the fader...the first gain stage would be a devices volume control and/or the track (clip) volume control.
Yeah, that's the one I meant. Apologies, words seem to have escaped me today.

I'll be sure to give it a try and see but here's what I meant before:

Suppose I reduce the gain on every slider so across the board I was 4 dB quieter, I'd then have to up the volume faders on each channel to regain the volume I had originally before adjusting the gain, which surely would bring me back to where I started - with a reduced volume over version 4, and constant peaks in my VU/Peak Meter. My main issue here is aside from the clipping the overall volume in version 6.5 is drastically lower than that in version 4.
Old 2012-10-01, 21:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by kloeckno View Post
Use the mclass maximizer as the last device before the hardware interface with the 4ms lookahead. That should stop any clipping.
Thanks for the tip, given it a whirl, but it doesn't really fix my issue of the reduced volume. I was hoping there'd be some settings I could change/apply to bring the output back out to where it was in Reason 4, rather than using the master section, or adding further effects into the mix.

Apologies, though as I see my thread title is a little misleading.

Can anyone confirm whether or not a USB audio interface can have any effect on a DAW's perception of output versus what's coming out of the speakers? That's the only ( and probably very far-fetched) solution I can come up with. For some reason the meters are peaking, I'm getting no audible clipping distortion and the overall level is very low, which suggests there's something messing up what's going in/coming out.
Old 2012-10-01, 21:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryRhodes View Post
Thanks for the confirmation, it's sort of a relief that it's something that should be fixable but I'm just not sure how, short of replacing the interface completely, as I've fiddled with the limited settings available on my computer and on the interface itself to no avail.
I didn't mention anything about it being fixable, I said it's not broken. :-)

The interface will not cause clipping, your levels cause clipping. At least I can say I'm not familiar with an interface ever causing clipping when the software isn't clipping. The software will clip when it goes over 0 dBFS, just like any other software out there. The interface cannot cause nor prevent this as far as I know.

If the software is clipping, it's because the gain is too high. I've never seen a Reason song file suddenly start to clip just because it's been opened in a more recent version.

I'd like to understand the question you're having. Maybe you can provide some more info?

To confirm: you're taking a song created in Reason 4 that had NO clipping (right?), opening it in Reason 6.5, hitting play and immediately seeing clipping - right?

What was the highest peak level in Reason 4?
How much do you have to turn DOWN the level in Reason 6.5 to prevent clipping? (this tells us how much clipping you're experiencing)

I'm assuming you've done NOTHING to the file after loading it in Reason 6.5, right? (if you've made ANY changes, you're likely causing any clipping that wasn't present on the previous version). I'm assuming you're positive there was no clipping in the original file.

Can you simplify the question, or post a specific example? I'm 99% sure this is a mixing issue and not a software or hardware issue. :-)
USA
Old 2012-10-16, 17:53

I updated from 6 to 6.5.1 did not change songs and now I have clipping problems left and right just playing song on same macbook... I don't know if problem with 6.5 but it's happening in 6.5.1 with no changes to songs or computer.