Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2012-06-15, 23:53
maky35

Reason 6.5 demo - Weird timing issues - PDC

I tried Reason 6.5 demo for the first time. So far so good. Actually awesome. Only thing which is weird to me is how is plugin delay compensation handled?

I tried to make some drums (Redrum is awesome) and on other Instruments i tried to make some cool effects with Neptune and some presets from combinator. Whenever i use Neptune in a rack all signal which goes from Neptune is a bit delayed and not in sync with other tracks. I also noticed that several other devices also add latency to signal.

From what i understand (i am coming from VST world) all host have some sort of automatic plugin delay compensation and i never needed to worry about it. I just stack series of plugins in all sort of chains and buses and i never had to worry about it, everything is handled automatically and in perfect phase and sync.

I assume something similar is in Reason but i just can't find it. Where is PDC option? Somewhere in mixer? Some host have that i mixer option.
Old 2012-06-16, 11:05

No Delay Compensation in Reason so far!

Actually one of two reasons, why I cannot use Reason in my daily work. The other reason is the lack of subgroups/busses with smart solo routings in the mixer.

I´m very sad about that, because Reason is such a great software and I have it since Version 1. I even put Reason stickers on every free place I find, but since Record I kinda stopped using it so often, although I´d really really love to use it more...

Hannes
Old 2012-06-16, 21:08
maky35

Hugh..that's a bummer. My next question actually was to start a thread and ask about bus and subgroup in SSL mixer(i know how to do it with regular mixer but i want to do it with ssl mixer).

Bus and subgroups are part of my workflow but i could resolve it somehow in Reason i guess.

However i think PDC is actually crucial. I am a bit shocked that it isn't there for quite some time (how do people work with it? is there some weird workaround?) and given the fact that now with announcements of RE there are more devices which introduce delay i am surprised that it isn't solved.

I guess now when they put development of new devices to other developers (RE) they might find time to upgrade sequencer/mixer and to add PDC.

I'll see if it fit to my workflow maybe i'll buy it.

Thanks for response..
Old 2012-10-09, 23:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by maky35 View Post
Hugh..that's a bummer. My next question actually was to start a thread and ask about bus and subgroup in SSL mixer(i know how to do it with regular mixer but i want to do it with ssl mixer).

Bus and subgroups are part of my workflow but i could resolve it somehow in Reason i guess.

However i think PDC is actually crucial. I am a bit shocked that it isn't there for quite some time (how do people work with it? is there some weird workaround?) and given the fact that now with announcements of RE there are more devices which introduce delay i am surprised that it isn't solved.

I guess now when they put development of new devices to other developers (RE) they might find time to upgrade sequencer/mixer and to add PDC.

I'll see if it fit to my workflow maybe i'll buy it.

Thanks for response..

Don't believe the hype... just make music

1. PDC is not as crucial as marketing execs want you to believe. Pro Tools did not have PDC until very recent and no one has been complaining about the records made in PT.

2. PDC is handled in RE, just not natively within reason synths and FX's, then again they don't need PDC (just the MClass maximizer when the look-ahead is engaged and one of two more units).
Old 2012-10-10, 15:22
TheodoreM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slevin View Post
Don't believe the hype... just make music

1. PDC is not as crucial as marketing execs want you to believe. Pro Tools did not have PDC until very recent and no one has been complaining about the records made in PT.

2. PDC is handled in RE, just not natively within reason synths and FX's, then again they don't need PDC (just the MClass maximizer when the look-ahead is engaged and one of two more units).
1) Pro tools ALWAYS offered a way to manually nudge to the SAMPLE and keep everything in absolutely sample accurate sync and reported the EXACT latency the plugin(s) introduced, as well as a workaround for many years before pdc to do this semi automatically with the inexpensive mellowmuse time adjuster plugins

2) Incorrect. A fews RE's have latency that is not automatically compensated. Please do not spread such inaccurate info!

Peace.
Old 2012-10-16, 20:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheodoreM View Post
1) Pro tools ALWAYS offered a way to manually nudge to the SAMPLE and keep everything in absolutely sample accurate sync and reported the EXACT latency the plugin(s) introduced, as well as a workaround for many years before pdc to do this semi automatically with the inexpensive mellowmuse time adjuster plugins

2) Incorrect. A fews RE's have latency that is not automatically compensated. Please do not spread such inaccurate info!

Peace.

1) Yes I know... it was a very cumbersome task and a lot of people wouldn't do it manually unless they absolutely HAD too! Of course you could do the same in Reason 6.0+

2) Yes and No, perhaps I didn't explain my statement as well as I should. For that I apologize. I'll clarify without running the risk of getting into trouble. The RE's have a mechanism for handling latency(this is what I meant to say) however you are correct that some devices introduce delay. But then again in some of those devices it is quite normal. I have an eventide hardware harmonizer and that introduces latency just like Polar does. This is why in DSP programming there are 2 types of latency...

1. Processing
2. Effected

Processing is the latency that is introduced by code not keeping up with the current sample streaming rate of the host. The RE SDK introduces API calls to deal with this.

Effected, are things like Neptune and polar that unavoidably introduce latency. For example a live harmonizer has no idea what you might play next on your guitar so it process bits of audio as close to the timing source as possible but it is never at 0. If you or anyone else comes up with a way to do that live then you have found away to bend Math and Physics at your will

Last edited by slevin; 2012-10-16 at 21:21. Reason: typo