Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2012-10-16, 20:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatsknocking View Post
Can any Reason 6-6.5 Users share their Custom Mastering Presets?????

I'd like to hear from everybody!

So upload or explain your processes!!
Waves API 560 for EQ-ing. I take off from the 'mastering>oldies' preset & may add Waves SSL EQ for further shaping. Waves SSL Compressor (I like how it preserves the lo end). And finally Voxengo Elephant 3.
Not all materials are the same, & Mastering is about using your ears big time!
I use all these plugs in Stereo mode inside Steinberg's Wavelab 6, with analog emulation turned off on every unit.
This serves as my basic setup. However, I change tricks with different materials.
Old 2012-10-16, 20:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by tardisboy View Post
You didn't respond to his questions. Just to my advice, which was pretty decent advice....food for thought.

Anyway, to the poster, try some of the outside mastering suites like T-Racks or Ozone. I use T-racks and actually make money with it as a mastering tool. My clients don't know any better, they think I'm using ultra expensive hardware gear or waves plugins. A different set of monitors for mastering is a good thing too. I use B&W 302's to create, B&W 802's to master.

You have to use your ears like magnifying glasses and a/b what your doing against material you believe to be well recorded. There's no set way to master, ask 10 mastering engineers how they do it, you'll get 10 different ways. Experiment. There are a ton of tutorials on youtube for mastering with any tool you would want to use. Wavelab and plugins also get the job done. Reason 6 has a much better sound now, but its better to approach a finished track with fresh ears in a different environment for mastering, Be sure to render your songs in reason leaving some headroom too.
Yeah. Inside Reason concentrate on the MIX. Leave some headroom. Master outside Reason. Keep developing your ears. They're your priciest tools!
Old 2012-10-16, 21:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by reason2dance View Post
It's better to not generalize ...
He/She was not generalizing... it is common knowledge that mastering in Reason is not necessarily the best thing to do. You do not have all of the tools necessary for a complete and thorough mastering job.
Old 2012-10-16, 21:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatsknocking View Post
Can any Reason 6-6.5 Users share their Custom Mastering Presets?????
No such thing as a mastering preset... The best thing to do is concentrate on the mix and send it to your "mastering guy" if you do not have one or this is not economically viable, then self mastering should be the next option.

Personally, the stuff I do self master is generally a promo or something I want to test out live... if it is going to be released then it will definitely go out to my Mastering Guy.

When I do my own self masters for reference, I NEVER, EVER master in Reason. I mix, bus and sum in Reason. From 50+ tracks get bussed down to 16 stem audio tracks. Those then get imported into my DAW of choice and is final gain staging and dynamics(including mid-side dynamic processing) are added.

The last stage is going into my mastering strip whos order does not change(but the settings do. They are applied on a per track basis)...

1. Vitalizer
2. Optical Mastering Compressor
3. Multiband EQ (if necessary)
4. Multibanc Comp (if necessary)
5. Crane Song Hedd(out) -> Manley (outboard) -> Crane Song Hedd(in)
6. Tape (30ips)
7. Loudness Limiter

My meters are set to peak + rms, using k-14.

My peak's per stage...
1. Mixing = No more than -6dB
2. Stem Mixing = No more than -3db
3. Mastering = -0.1dB

Cheers,