Propellerhead Software
Old 2012-10-18, 23:09

DCAM EnvShaper

Well what can I say? It does what its suppose to do. And what you want it to do. Removing transients and all. Lol. I got it for that reason and then some.

This is great for hip hop beat makers that sample drum loops from records (and such), slice them up, and make those drums pop. lol. Ect, Ect, Ect.

Love it. Definatly going to partner up with my Dr. Octorex. But Im sure sure Ill use is for much more.
Great product.

Loading SoundCloud…

Buffre Beat Repeater, RoughRider, ReVolt CV Processor, DCAM EnvShaper,
Etch Red, Re-Tron, Shelob Audio Bypass Splitter, Polysix, ReStereo, bla, bla, bla, ....I got almost everything. LOL
Old 2012-10-19, 10:40

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDBOO View Post
Well what can I say? It does what its suppose to do. And what you want it to do. Removing transients and all. Lol. I got it for that reason and then some.

This is great for hip hop beat makers that sample drum loops from records (and such), slice them up, and make those drums pop. lol. Ect, Ect, Ect.

Love it. Definatly going to partner up with my Dr. Octorex. But Im sure sure Ill use is for much more.
Great product.
How does removing transients make your drums pop more? I thought you'd want more transients if you wanted more punch.
Old 2012-10-19, 13:53

Your right. I wrote that wrong. Thank you for catching my mistake. Lol.

Loading SoundCloud…

Etch Red, Re-Tron, Shelob Audio Bypass Splitter, Polysix, ReStereo, bla, bla, bla, ....I got almost everything. LOL
Old 2012-10-19, 13:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDBOO View Post
Your right. I wrote that wrong. Thank you for catching my mistake. Lol.
Oh ok. I thought there was some technique I wasn't aware of...
Old 2012-10-19, 14:02

Lol. No sir. Lol. "Players fuck up" -Dey Dey. Lol

Loading SoundCloud…

Old 2012-10-19, 17:36

I actually prefer to add sustain (= removing transients) to drums to get them to sound "louder" in the mix. Adding transients will work to a small degree, but will also require you to lower the overall level of the drums since you are now more likely to clip. Adding transients adds peak level, and a higher peak level will clip sooner (and not always sound any louder, especially if you have to lower the level to avoid clipping). If you add too much transients, you'll just end up compressing them in mastering to get hotter levels, often defeating the purpose. As with many things, a little can go a LONG way.

So a little additional transients can help to some degree, often at the expense of overall loudness. I like to do a little of both in many cases, adding a tiny bit of transients AND adding some sustain to compensate.

I'l still hoping for a more full featured transient shaper for Reason - I've built them in Reason where you can adjust the "length" of the transient as well as solo the transient to allow you to better hear what you're doing. But I'd prefer to not use a Combinator for this as there's just not enough controls or visual feedback IMO. :-)
USA
Old 2012-10-19, 18:20

I've noticed with this device you can actually find a sweet spot where you add perceived loudness when adding attack. It's all to do with the Saturation button and setting the input knob and attack knob to the sweet spot. Settings will vari from sound to sound and how loud the input signal is. But the aim is to get the Saturation to distort a little then back off it a bit till your happy with the sound.
The sound will sound louder and sound like it has more attack but it doesn't really have much more attack (if any) because it gets squashed by the Saturation.

Last edited by ProfessaKaos; 2012-10-19 at 18:23.
Old 2012-10-19, 19:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by selig View Post
I actually prefer to add sustain (= removing transients) to drums to get them to sound "louder" in the mix. Adding transients will work to a small degree, but will also require you to lower the overall level of the drums since you are now more likely to clip. Adding transients adds peak level, and a higher peak level will clip sooner (and not always sound any louder, especially if you have to lower the level to avoid clipping). If you add too much transients, you'll just end up compressing them in mastering to get hotter levels, often defeating the purpose. As with many things, a little can go a LONG way.

So a little additional transients can help to some degree, often at the expense of overall loudness. I like to do a little of both in many cases, adding a tiny bit of transients AND adding some sustain to compensate.

I'l still hoping for a more full featured transient shaper for Reason - I've built them in Reason where you can adjust the "length" of the transient as well as solo the transient to allow you to better hear what you're doing. But I'd prefer to not use a Combinator for this as there's just not enough controls or visual feedback IMO. :-)
Thanks for the valuable info. I'll be sure to try that out. Any way you might up load a combinator patch like the you said you've built in Reason? I'd love to try that out. I wouldn't know how to wire up something like that.
Old 2012-10-19, 21:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessaKaos View Post
I've noticed with this device you can actually find a sweet spot where you add perceived loudness when adding attack. It's all to do with the Saturation button and setting the input knob and attack knob to the sweet spot. Settings will vari from sound to sound and how loud the input signal is. But the aim is to get the Saturation to distort a little then back off it a bit till your happy with the sound.
The sound will sound louder and sound like it has more attack but it doesn't really have much more attack (if any) because it gets squashed by the Saturation.
But if the peak energy is increased when you do this, you are adding ACTUAL level, which of course will always "sound" louder!

Are you saying you can add attack WITHOUT adding any peak level on the meters? I'd be impressed if that was possible with this (or any) device.

Of course, if the saturation effect is eating all the transients, THAT's where the loudness is coming from IMO (not the additional transients.

That being said, I've not yet had a chance to try this device, so I COULD be talking entirely out of my ass here (and am more than willing to admit it if that's the case!). ;-)
USA
Old 2012-10-19, 21:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by djphathead View Post
Thanks for the valuable info. I'll be sure to try that out. Any way you might up load a combinator patch like the you said you've built in Reason? I'd love to try that out. I wouldn't know how to wire up something like that.
That combi was going to be a part of a commercial ReFill (which is still unfinished), but I'm not sure what I'll do with it at this point. I'm more than happy to share it here if the other options fall through. :-)
USA