Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2012-10-19, 02:12

How to quick-jump to rack device for a selected sequencer track?

This is boggling my mind. I went through the manual and found nothing....but it seems there MUST be a way to 'quick jump' to a device in the rack from the currently selected sequencer track..yeah?? The mixer has buttons for this, but the sequencer doesn't?

e.g. I'm working in the sequencer, playing back a midi part lets say, and I decide I want to adjust the instruments settings for that sequencer track's device. All I can figure out is to switch to the rack and hunt around for the device visually, but sometimes the rack is full of stuff and it can all look the same -- isn't there a shortcut to jump straight to that sequencer track's instrument device?

please help! thanks..
-M
Old 2012-10-19, 03:20

Click on the device icon at the left of the seq track.
Old 2012-10-19, 04:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despondo View Post
Click on the device icon at the left of the seq track.
this isn't what i'm asking about; yes, if you click the track in the sequencer (or the icon, as you say) the device is *selected* in the rack. but if you are viewing the sequencer page separately from the rack (e.g. you aren't using the 3-page view) the device is selected, sure, but your'e still looking at the sequencer page, and then have to switch to the rack page, and then have to look for the very light blue-line surrounding the currently selected instrument -- and in a fully loaded rack, this can be a huge time-waster. I was hoping there was a command, in the sequencer, that switched automatically to rack view and highlighted the device for that track. but apparently this only happens (visibly) if you have both sequencer and mixer open at the same time using the joined 3-panel screen... which is useless to me, because I really never use the 3-split screen view, it's super annoying.

Last edited by futurepet; 2012-10-19 at 04:24.
Old 2012-10-19, 05:51

I see. Not sure if there is a way to do this. Perhaps a suggestion for the next release? I can see how that can be useful!
Old 2012-10-19, 12:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by futurepet View Post
this isn't what i'm asking about; yes, if you click the track in the sequencer (or the icon, as you say) the device is *selected* in the rack. but if you are viewing the sequencer page separately from the rack (e.g. you aren't using the 3-page view) the device is selected, sure, but your'e still looking at the sequencer page, and then have to switch to the rack page, and then have to look for the very light blue-line surrounding the currently selected instrument -- and in a fully loaded rack, this can be a huge time-waster. I was hoping there was a command, in the sequencer, that switched automatically to rack view and highlighted the device for that track. but apparently this only happens (visibly) if you have both sequencer and mixer open at the same time using the joined 3-panel screen... which is useless to me, because I really never use the 3-split screen view, it's super annoying.
I work with reason for over 10 years now and never had this problem, not even with a full fletched rack. Maybe your way of looking needs improvement?

Otherwise buy a Nektar P4, it had a view button to view the active device

Goodluck!
Old 2012-10-19, 15:04

It's possible from the mixer and should also be added to the sequencer indeed. This has been bugging me when using Reason on my laptop which has the dreaded Fn key to access the F keys
Old 2012-10-19, 17:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by futurepet View Post
So if you have a clean rack and sort your devices (like one rack for drums, one for instruments one for effects) it should be really quick to click on the symbol in the sequencer and then press f6 and the highlighted device should be at the top of the page. now you just need to know is it drums, effects or instruments...
cheers
fredhoven
Old 2013-05-31, 16:20

I completely agree. I was hunting for a way to do this and I'm surprised it's not possible. It's also odd that they thought to add a button to the mixer but not to the sequencer where it would be equally if not more useful.