Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2012-10-20, 00:03

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by tardisboy View Post
Propellerheads stopped innovating, went to long with minro additions compared to what folks an get out there with any other program and VST's. The rack extensions really show that. 10 years of the same thing is not going to lure new buyers once they do research on the product, especially considering the real toys they get can only be used in this program, no where else. Most computer music folks aren't used to that

Those that have a great deal invested in itare here to stay. If I was just coming into music and didn't really have a hardware background, Reason for what they are charging and for how closed off it is would not be my first choice. You can build an impressive setup based on free VST's if you really wanted too. Music listeners just want a good song, they don't care what was used to make it. Some of those free VST's sound really good.

I know a few people who either have passed on Reason or moved on to something else. That's life. I'll be a Reason user for life, but it doesn't mean I do not see its shortcomings. The good outweighs the bad by a large margin in my world, but I totally understand the gripes about the current road Propellerheads is headed on.
I was a user who "moved on". Until I had to update my system. And then had to pay for everything all over again. The Reason 6.5 upgrade at $169 was a no-brainer next to Logic's $200 or ProTools $400 I was looking at shelling out. Plus the NI upgrade costs, Omnisphere upgrade, Waves upgrades, etc etc etc.

With Reason everything updates for you. All your instruments and effects and Rack Extensions. REs are a bigger hit upfront, but you're never paying for those upgrades years later when operating systems change.

Apple are changing their OS every year now?! Keeping up is expen$ive...

With that kind of policy, Reason seems like a more attractive investment than spreading yourself out with multiple software companies.