Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2012-10-21, 11:24

Question Rebirth for Mac 10.6. WANTED, PLEASE!!!!

Rebirth is a essential program of Propellerheads, so I really CAN´T understand, why you don´t progress it for new systems to work with it!!!
Do you have any plans into this direction???
PLEASE! Thank you!
Old 2012-10-21, 11:39

ReBirth is currently being released as a mobile app.

The classic ReBirth has its own page, a "museum" where the last version can be downloaded for free.

I highly doubt that they will make an updated version for Mac or PC, considering how long it has been discontinued.

Is there no way for you to have your Mac run the program? In Windows, there are ways to run older programs if they are not compatible with the current Windows version.

Old 2012-10-21, 20:26

Unfortunately it is *so* old that it was written for a completely different type of CPU before Macs started using Intel processors. There used to be an emulator included in OS X to run those old programs, but in the last couple of versions they've removed it, probably because not many people were using it and it was just wasting resources for most people.

There might still be a way to get it to run using that emulator or another (or even using Wine or Crossover or something to run the windows version), but honestly I think that the iOS version or one of the sampled or emulated Reason Refills are better ways to go at this point.

Edit: Actually, if the OP is on 10.6, Rosetta should still be easily available to run the old Mac version.

Last edited by gwynebiau; 2012-10-21 at 20:28.
Old 2012-10-21, 20:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorbandt View Post
Rebirth is a essential program of Propellerheads, so I really CAN´T understand, why you don´t progress it for new systems to work with it!!!
PLEASE! Thank you!
Why don't you get Rack Extension ABL2?
Old 2012-10-21, 20:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynebiau View Post
Unfortunately it is *so* old that it was written for a completely different type of CPU before Macs started using Intel processors. There used to be an emulator included in OS X to run those old programs, but in the last couple of versions they've removed it, probably because not many people were using it and it was just wasting resources for most people.

There might still be a way to get it to run using that emulator or another (or even using Wine or Crossover or something to run the windows version), but honestly I think that the iOS version or one of the sampled or emulated Reason Refills are better ways to go at this point.

Edit: Actually, if the OP is on 10.6, Rosetta should still be easily available to run the old Mac version.
It won't work, ReBirth was dropped before OSX and Rosetta does not support applications built for OS9.
Old 2012-10-21, 20:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorbandt View Post
PLEASE! Thank you!
ReBirth development was dropped in 1999 (13 years ago) and it was officially discontinued in 2005. They don't seem to have any plans to rerelease it, but if I am wrong, we will only know when it is finally ready for release. I also suppose they wouldn't rerelease it as it was before but they would rather make 3 separate REs. But I wouldn't hope my hopes high...
Old 2012-10-21, 22:02

The funny thing is. Its been discontinued for a very long time now and the option is still in the current reason rack. I would used it if were still the option to use it with current osx. I have the refills so im good.
Old 2012-10-21, 22:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by clip View Post
The funny thing is. Its been discontinued for a very long time now and the option is still in the current reason rack. I would used it if were still the option to use it with current osx. I have the refills so im good.
Well, they have never removed anything from the rack. I don't think they're about to start.
Old 2012-10-21, 22:38
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by clip View Post
It's really not right to have useless stuff inside program, mac users can't use ReBirth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonezMcCoy View Post
Well, they have never removed anything from the rack. I don't think they're about to start.

Same with audio & vst support, ok vst became RE's! Never say never!

But it's really another thing Bonez, it's useless to all 64 bit win people who don't want to use Reason 32 bit version, for all Mac users, it's simply appendix!
Old 2012-10-21, 22:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mate View Post
It's really not right to have useless stuff inside program, mac users can't use ReBirth!

Same with audio & vst support, ok vst became RE's! Never say never!

But it's really another thing Bonez, it's useless to all 64 bit win people who don't want to use Reason 32 bit version, for all Mac users, it's simply appendix!
I am not saying the opposite. As far as I am concerned they can just dump it. And I am not saying what they will never do, I am saying what they have never done so far.