Propellerhead Software
Old 2012-10-21, 14:19

Creating bass sounds in reason

Hi, i was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction for some useful tutorials on programming bass sounds in reason, I am trying to make these sort of sounds
http://www33.zippyshare.com/v/19233819/file.html

But they are done in vsts on other programmes, and using samples is holding me back and dont sound as good. Any help much appreciated
Old 2012-10-21, 20:07

You should be able to make what you're looking for with Thor, and Subtractor might help you out too. If you can't find patches from someone else that are exactly what you want then you'll have to learn how to make them yourself, but that's not a bad idea anyway.

If you look in the Substance section of the site there's some good information, including great tutorials covering Thor in depth under Substance > Discovering Reason. You can also find Thor and Subtractor tutorials all over the web and YouTube, so hopefully you'll find one that helps you.

In particular you might want to check the PropellerheadSW channel on YouTube and search for "bass" within that channel (not in all of YouTube) because James Bernard and other Propellerhead people have done some good bass related tutorials there.

If you have Reason 6.5 you could also check out the Rack Extensions. I know there's one specifically for making bass lines, but I don't think it's nearly as versatile as Thor and Subtractor.

Predator might be a good one to check out, and I hear it has tons of presets that might help, but I haven't used it yet so I don't know for sure how good it is with bass sounds (although I'm guessing it does a great job). It's also a little expensive at $119, so if you don't want to buy anything else I'd go with my previous suggestions.
Old 2012-10-21, 20:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynebiau View Post
...and Subtractor might help you out too.
You bet I do!
Old 2012-10-21, 21:54

Thor will do them no problem, plus a little scream for distortion. Look at the refills for dubstep/urban bass packages if you're not good on synthesis. These will help you get near the mark then you can tweek to get what you want.

The basses in your example are multiple oscillator or layered using two or more sounds. One synth/osc playing low and the others spread an octave or two higher.
Old 2012-10-21, 23:35

Thanks guys, i will get on it, i think i will get the predator as well
Old 2012-10-22, 04:06

Hey mate, it may be worth it to go to: boyinaband.com

Dave has nice video tutorials in creating sounds etc in Reason for different styles and you may be able to download some patches or samples from there too.

Good luck
Old 2012-10-22, 12:04

Cheers dude