Propellerhead Software
Old 2012-10-24, 02:03

Korg Kontrol-61

So I am really underwhelmed with my Axiom-61, and I like MPK-61's but the action is terrible (my opinion), and that's a big deal to me.

So I love Korg products, and have been hoping they would release a 61 key controller to compete with the Axiom and MPK lines, and then I did a little search and it turns out they already did, about 7 years ago, called the Kontrol-61. It has 16 pads, and 61 keys, and lots of other goodies. But it's outdated now.

So now Korg is leaning heavily on the mini/micro/nano side of things, and the only 61 key controller they even sell with full sized keys is very basic, has no pads, no sliders and is just not at all on par with modern full-featured controllers.

So when are they going to update their Kontrol-61 and re-release it?
Ever? Was it a dud? Did it not sell well? Is that why they abandoned it?

I know I could get a Panorama P6 when it comes out, and it's very tempting. But I just thing the way I use Reason as my live rig, it's not really setup for that.

So any rumors? Anything at all from Korg on this?

Last edited by wkeever; 2012-10-24 at 02:08.
Old 2012-10-24, 07:06

As far as I know there was never a Korg Kontrol 61. The Kontrol series came in 3 versions:

microKONTROL (37 keys, 16 pads)
Korg Kontrol 49 (49 keys, 16 pads)
PadKontrol (16 pads)
Old 2012-10-24, 13:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonezMcCoy View Post
As far as I know there was never a Korg Kontrol 61. The Kontrol series came in 3 versions:

microKONTROL (37 keys, 16 pads)
Korg Kontrol 49 (49 keys, 16 pads)
PadKontrol (16 pads)
Ah, well the Kontrol 49 is the one I'm talking about. I thought it came in the 61 key variety as well, but I guess not.

I just wish they would update it and re-release it.
Old 2012-10-24, 14:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkeever View Post
Ah, well the Kontrol 49 is the one I'm talking about. I thought it came in the 61 key variety as well, but I guess not.

Unfortunately, they have now focussed on the Microkey series without any sophisticated control elements):

http://www.korg.com/microkey
Old 2012-10-24, 14:48

Quote:

The Kontrol49 is still out there (new or used). I've had mine for a long time and it's still doing what it said on the tin.

I'd have thought if Korg 'updated' it then it would become something else anyway.
'Going to trial with a lawyer who considers your whole life-style a crime in progress is not a happy prospect.' - Hunter S Thompson
~|~
'Live fat, die young, and leave a self-basting corpse for the burn up...' - TFC
Old 2012-10-24, 16:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFatControlleR View Post
The Kontrol49 is still out there (new or used). I've had mine for a long time and it's still doing what it said on the tin.

I'd have thought if Korg 'updated' it then it would become something else anyway.
I wasn't aware it could be bought new anymore, only used. But either way, 49 keys isn't enough for me.

If they update it and it has a completely new form factor, that is fine with me.
I guess I am just saying I wish Korg would release a new controller to compete with the Axiom and MPK series keyboards. And the Kontrol49 is the closest thing they've made that fits this description, so that's why I brought it up.

Korg's pads on the PadKontrol are excellent.
Korg's key action is really nice too on their synths.

So if they would incorporate their already very nice components into one package, I think it would be killer.

Last edited by wkeever; 2012-10-24 at 16:25.
Old 2012-10-24, 18:09

I have a microKONTROL and don't feel like it needs being updated. It works perfectly well. What features would you like to see in this update? Allow me just to say that as it is today, when I focus on a device, it displays its name. Its integration with Reason is flawless in my humble opinion.
Old 2012-10-24, 19:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonezMcCoy View Post
I have a microKONTROL and don't feel like it needs being updated. It works perfectly well. What features would you like to see in this update? Allow me just to say that as it is today, when I focus on a device, it displays its name. Its integration with Reason is flawless in my humble opinion.
Well, for starters I don't want it to be micro.
I don't mean they should stop making the microkontrol, but I just think they should make a more robust controller, full-size keys, pads as large as those on the padkontrol, etc.
Old 2012-10-24, 19:27

Quote:
Well, for starters I don't want it to be micro.
I don't mean they should stop making the microkontrol, but I just think they should make a more robust controller, full-size keys, pads as large as those on the padkontrol, etc.
Well, I mean the 49! It is the same as mine except for the keys size and number. There is no way you can have 16 pads that big on a keyboard controller, it would make it unnecessarily big and expensive, but other than that what kind of update would you like?