Propellerhead Software
Old 2012-10-24, 13:06

I am not a fan of limiting a track as it causes havoc on the dynamics end as well as creation and design of actual sounds - especially that ozone limiter. It significantly colors the sound in a rather vintage reason tin-i-ness imho firstly. I have spent some time with this plugin in particular as it was perhaps my most anticipated plugin - and sadly my least favorite or least used now because of this reason. Played with it through my VRM Box and on my Alesis M1active 620 monitors and its nowhere close to their ozone 5 limiter. Waste of money. The reason maximizer is truthfully less destructive as an effect than the Ozone limiter imho.

Secondly, limiting by default eliminates dynamics so if you have one on the master bus.. well good bye all the hard work you have been mixing down for the past four hours. I am part of the group of people who believe in vigilantly eyeing the master fader level and individual track levels for clipping and bringing down the fader appropriately as I work. OCD and painstaking at first perhaps, but you dont have to combat a limiter destroying your dynamics and coloring the sound in a subtle but likely unwanted way. A typical mix for me is completed with the fader level somewhere between -10dB and -15db -- and honestly if I need to bring it down below -12dB theres problem frequencies/problem vol levels with individual tracks and its time to go back to the individual sounds themselves and find the problem. the new 31pt equalizer is a great subtle coloration add for the master bus though. but only in moderation. and Im talking like .1db-.3dB nuanced +/- per each of the 31 freq's. this is masterbus afterall. if you need to boost more than that, GO back to the original sound(s) and boost it there.
Old 2012-10-24, 13:09

big line selig. havent found the flower meter to be useful though in this regard, as the numerical readings tend to be gibberish to me aside from the dB spread.

this is why i dont use effects in the master bus! only equalizers and the occasional compressor. causes havoc with final mixdown and all that "effecting" should just be done at the individual track level - which is why you need a fatty cpu to handle the extra effects per individual track.
Old 2012-10-24, 13:13

I would not use a spectral in the master you are gonna have all kinda phasing shit going on that i dont even know mathematically how to explain. thats my .02 though

you could send effect the imager though. your master bus chain should only have true dynamic oriented effects like compressors and equalizers. in most of my cases just equalizers since the ssl master compressor is usually more than enough (although creating a multiband effect via the softtube FFT set to parralel/ALL mode in the master and using the ssl compressor in tandem creates some nice fattening sometimes - can cause phasing similar to the spectral imager though.
Old 2012-10-24, 13:14

ahhhh metronome clipping. sounds like something prop should fix!
Old 2012-10-24, 15:24

Thanks for your thoughtssh73888!

Now I solved my problem already with the Maximizer. It's more than enough for me. I also won't spend money on the Ozone.
Old 2012-10-24, 16:25

Quick question...how do you make sure that you are not inserting a device in between the Master Section and the Hardware device...I guess this would make more sense to me if I knew the process of the Signal Flow within reason..
www.facebook.com/HNSMusikProductions

MAC Pro Quad-Core || 3.2GHz Quad Core Intel Xeon processor||6GB MEM 1TB hard drive || 18X Super Drive ATI Radeon HD 5770 with 1GB GDDR5
Presonus Fire Studio Mobile || Audio interface 10x6 24 Bit 96kHz | Portable Fire Wire Recording System
Native Instruments Maschine Controller
Korgpad Kontrol | Midi Studio Controller
M Audio Oxygen 49 V3 | Compact Keyboard
Propeller Heads Reason 6.0
Old 2012-10-24, 18:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNSMuzik View Post
Quick question...how do you make sure that you are not inserting a device in between the Master Section and the Hardware device...I guess this would make more sense to me if I knew the process of the Signal Flow within reason..
There's nothing inherently wrong with putting devices between the Main Outputs and the Hardware Interface IMO.

In fact, there is one case in particular where you WANT to insert a device between the Main Outputs and the Hardware Interface. That case is with the Ozone Maximizer when using Dither, since you don't want to do ANYTHING to your signal after adding dither. So especially for those who often end up with the master fader NOT set at 0 dB (or do fade outs), and who use the dither in Ozone instead of the built in dither, this is essential.

I'm doing all my mastering at this point in the signal chain because I'm using Ozone when mastering, and am already using the Master Insert to add side chain EQ and lookahead to the Master Compressor. :-)
USA