Propellerhead Software
Old 2012-10-25, 18:21

Cueing in Reason 5

Hi there!
I am planning to do some live performance and currently working on the setup. I am wondering how could I cue a channel while tweaking the parameters before bringing the final edited sound in.
I am using Reason 5.
Thanks!
Old 2012-10-25, 18:39

You will have to elaborate, i dont even know what you mean by cue (queue?).
Old 2012-10-25, 18:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyTale View Post
You will have to elaborate, i dont even know what you mean by cue (queue?).
Deejay jargon. It means to listen to one track on your headphones while another is playing.
Old 2012-10-25, 19:47

Sorry I thought the word "cue" or "cueing" was not only used when djing...
BonezMcCoy is right. What I would like to do is listening to a track while another is playing.
Example: I have got a loop running on channel 1 and I would like to listen another loop on channel 2 before bringing it in and listen both mixed on the master. I want to make sure the loop I am choosing from the 8 available ones on the Dr. OctoRex is the right one, then I need to "pre listen" it before bringing the signal into, and have both playing together.
Old 2012-10-25, 21:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonezMcCoy View Post
Deejay jargon. It means to listen to one track on your headphones while another is playing.
Thanks, I am not a DJ nor will i ever be, so its no odd thing for me not to know this.

Last edited by PsyTale; 2012-10-26 at 12:27.
Old 2012-10-25, 22:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyTale View Post
Thanks, I am not a DJ not will i ever be, so its no odd thing for me not to know this.
No one is saying you should know the term and, actually, although frequently used by deejays, the term is not exclusive to deejaying. It means to audition a track/channel on the headphones while another is playing on the speakers, so you can experiment with what will be thrown in the live mix in advance.
Old 2012-10-26, 11:56

I "grew up" with Ecler dj mixers. So for me it's PFL (pre fader listening) .
Old 2012-10-26, 12:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovkov View Post
I "grew up" with Ecler dj mixers. So for me it's PFL (pre fader listening) .
Yep, but even on some Ecler mixers the PFL volume knob is called Cue.

http://www.eclerdjdivision.com/downloads/AC6_Front.jpg
Old 2012-10-26, 14:02

Wow guys, the OP here is asking how to setup a cue track for auditioning.

First you would need an audio interface with at least 4 outputs. 2 for your mains (1/2), and the other 2 for cueing (3/4). You can setup a switching system in a multitude of ways using some combinators.

I'm just doing this off the top of my head, but I would imagine you could setup 1 combinator to be your "cue mixer", where you would take a split from each source and route it into a mixer 14:2 in this combinator. Then you would route the output of this combinator to your cue outputs (3/4). Ok, so now you have a cue mixer.

For organization's sake combine your instruments into combinators, so each element of your session will have it's own combinator where you could set up a main/cue switching system. Map a combi button to switch between routing paths.

ie, you can use a spider audio merger splitter to split your source signal, create two line mixers 6:2, route a split to each one, send the first 6:2 output to your combi output (to the mixer channel), this is your main feed. Then route the output of your second 6:2 to your "cue mix combi", this is your cue feed. Then setup a combi button to toggle between muting each active line 6:2 mixer channel in your source combis. Have the combi button off status mute your cue feed, and it's on status mute your main feed. So when the combi button is illuminated red you know it's been cued.

Note: This is only the first routing suggestion that comes to mind. I'm sure there are many other ways to do this as well.

Last edited by sbader; 2012-10-26 at 14:10.
Old 2012-10-27, 13:27

I can´t tested untill next week but thanks for the help, I can´t wait to try it once back home...
Inbetween I did sketch a way it may also work and I think Sbader is also refering to...