Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2012-10-28, 03:15

Thumbs up What hw/sw would I need to accomplish the following?

Hey everyone! It's been roughly 7 years since I posted anything in here, and it's been longer than that since I actually made any music (life gets in the way... sigh...) I Sold off just about all my old music/audio hardware 10 years ago when I found that I could do just about everything a room full of gear used to do, with one amazing piece of software... Reason (duh).

But now I'm gradually building my rig back up again in the hopes of getting back into the swing. Been a Propellerhead software user since the original ReCycle wayyyyy back in the days of the SampleCell II card and have kept current all these years, knowing that eventually I'd get back into it. Just got a Balance today as the first step in this direction.

So here's what I'm pondering. My primary workstation is a 2011 27" iMac with 32GB of RAM and booted off of an SSD, with a secondary 30" monitor as well. It is one wicked smooth, fast machine and works just fantastically.

On another desk next to me, I have a core i7 Windows 7 "gaming PC" that I put together since I had all the pieces. It's got 6GB RAM currently (but RAM is dirt cheap) and also running on an SSD. I can control it from my iMac via TeamViewer, and literally use it as a headless workstation if I need to.

I'm curious to know if I could use this "extra" machine, as an outboard sound module of sorts. You know, load it up with other software synths and so forth, and trigger it from Reason on my Mac. Open that machine up on one screen, Reason on the other... seems like it would be one hell of a package.

What would be required to do this sort of thing? I'm assuming it must be possible as I've done something similar even back in the 90s with MUCH lower-capability software. Would the latency of MIDI present problems here? Or would they sync over my LAN? Or something else?

I also have the option of installing OSX on the PC hardware and running it as a hackintosh (have another of those that acts as our home media server and it works well), so if it makes more sense to use another Mac as the external machine, the option is there.

So, if you were in this situation, what would you load the PC up with? What software synths, samplers, sound libraries, or whatever? I'm so out of touch with the developments in the digital music/audio world in the last 10 years, I'm quite certain there's a TON of stuff I don't even know exists!

Oh lastly, I also have an iPad3 that I would love to add to the mix, if it makes sense to do so. Anyone using an iPad as part of their music rig currently (not a live rig, just studio)?

Thanks everyone!
Old 2012-10-28, 05:40

Reason doesn't support MIDI out, so you can't use it to trigger anything.

You can do the opposite of what you propose, which is use another program to trigger Reason.
Old 2012-10-28, 05:51

Ah crap seriously? I can't slave *anything* to Reason?

I thought that was the whole point to Rewire? Am I way off base here?
Old 2012-10-28, 14:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanKloot View Post

the point of rewire is to slave Reason to something...
so you'd load up eg. ProTools and then Reason, thus activating slave mode in Reason.
I never got used to doing that, but it seems to work well for some, not so well for others.
But who knows what the Props have in store for us with Reason7?

I believe, with the invention of the RE format, they can spend mor dev power with creating a MIDI out option, maybe including hardware of some sort, or an Audio quantize feature, working just like MIDI quantize, or whatever other wicked things those geniouses come up with.

cheers
fredhoven
Old 2012-10-28, 19:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanKloot

Well, that is the point of ReWire.

However, Reason can't act as a ReWire master device, only a slave.
Old 2012-10-28, 20:17

Got it... Rewire slave only. Wow. Not that this wouldn't be useful in many applications, but with rewire being the sequencer, sampler, synthesizer, and digital audio recorder, it seems only logical that people would want it to be the master. How very very odd.

Oh well, I can certainly have loads of fun just with Reason itself... on modern processors the limits are pretty phenomenal. Last time I used it, I was on a G4 450mHz and that was just about the highest-powered Mac in existence. Just the demo songs in Reason 6.5 alone could never have run on that.

Can't wait till the Props let Reason be the Master of my Musical Universe!
Old 2012-10-30, 20:41

OK so I'm probably chasing my tail here but...

Would it be possible to slave Reason (and my entire Mac music rig), so something else that merely acted as a transport control, that was say running on my iPad? I can just picture nothing but a giant transport on the iPad screen. Hit play, stop, etc. from there to start everything else. THEN I could slave Reason, as well as a secondary PC running whatever other software synths, DAWs, etc. to that one master.

Yes? Maybe? Am I just completely insane? Partially? LOL
Old 2012-10-31, 03:10

Sure, you can figure out a way to do all of that, but you might need to design your own hardware or software to do it.
Old 2012-10-31, 03:59

when using rewire your reason prg only uses one core of your cpu
Old 2012-10-31, 04:03

Oh wow really? That's a serious shame.

I'm going to take a look at some of the various control surfaces for iPad, but otherwise I think I'll just run most of the software on the Mac and call it a day.