Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Music Forum (read only)

Old 2012-10-24, 12:35

This is a great remix. Is this depeche? The bpm is so slow but like.. it works haha. I like this track a lot would love to hear the ambience in an open room. The snare/percs sound so crisp and fat with lots of headroom.
Old 2012-10-24, 17:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryszard View Post
Good stuff again, Carl. As with "Natural Progression" there's something more that I'd like to hear on the vocals, but I'm having trouble defining it. "Louder" isn't it, but something to bring them out of the mix more. (I do hear the doubling, which is a very nice touch.) A hint of delay or chorus, like Phil Collins? Some compression? A sidechained compressor/EQ to scoop out a place in the instruments while the voice is going? (That may be it.) It's the step that will take your mixes into the fully professional realm. Maybe a more experienced producer will see this and chime in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmygoff View Post
A nice tool (Bitley's refill) put to very good use - 80s galore. I would chime in with ryszard, though - don't be too shy with the vocals.
Thanks for the feedback you guys. I'm not really good at mixing so this might be an opportunity for me to learn some new technique. I'm skeptical of the sidechained compressor because I wouldn't want the music volume teo be modulating. I guess I'd have to hear it. It may be that I just need to EQ the mix better, like you said, carve out some space for my vocals. I messed around a bit last night and didn't get good results but I'll keep trying. Can you suggest a particular EQ? I can't submix the music to use the SSL EQ, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh73888 View Post
This is a great remix. Is this depeche? The bpm is so slow but like.. it works haha. I like this track a lot would love to hear the ambience in an open room. The snare/percs sound so crisp and fat with lots of headroom.
Glad you like the song! It's an original actually, but certainly in an old-fashioned style. I do have a couple Depeche Mode cover versions on my soundcloud... It Doesn't Matter Two and Somebody.

Loading SoundCloud…
Old 2012-10-25, 13:00

Oh this is original?! Thats sick. This has so much flavor from a different era man. I seriously thought this was a remix/cover of something else. Impressed
Old 2012-10-26, 07:33

Carl,

It's a truly fantastic track. You continue to please & inspire. Another fine example of synth-pop perfection. Man, I love that Fairlight refill!

Cheers,

J

Eminent Domain Synth-Pop & Electronic Music Blog:
http://eminessence.wordpress.com

"Everything Counts In Large Amounts" - M.L. Gore
Old 2012-10-28, 14:41

Great 80s sound!!! The only suggestion to improve the track that I can think of is that sometimes there is a lot of time between your vocal lines. Try to fill up those spaces with either more vocals or other interesting sounds or melodic elements.