Propellerhead Software
Old 2012-10-29, 02:57

Vertically split window

DISCLAIMER: This is intended to be an OPTIONAL feature.

It would be great to be able to bring the tool window, sequencer, and rack into a combined vertically split window, where the split points can be dragged left and right, but "snap" to the extremes. So for example you can hide the tool window (now a "pane") and use that space for the rack, or hide the sequencer and let the rack take up the full window. Or you can claim the rack's space for the sequencer, or have it take up the full window. This would be ideal for maximizing widescreen displays.

Only caveat is that you can't really have the big fat graphical navigators in this mode, there wouldn't be enough room. They would have to revert to plain old scrollbars.
Old 2012-10-29, 08:33

Well you can detach the various windows.
Old 2012-10-29, 09:06

Something like this?

( OK, OK - that’s the SSL rather than the Sequencer but I already had this screen shot in Dropbox.)
Old 2012-10-29, 11:34

eXode was the first to suggest this last year, iirc. And all of us smacked our hands against our foreheads and proclaimed "d'oh!", wondering why no-one else had thought of that before.

And perhaps it's even more relevant now because Microsoft clearly want to do an Apple and remove all legacy software to move everyone to TIFKAM: but as we know, TIFKAM does not (currently?) support multiple windows: it's full screen. Juggling Reason's three screens around will be largely impossible should Reason have to be rebuilt for it. A single-screen vertical option will be essential.

Last edited by JiggeryPokery; 2012-10-29 at 11:39.
Old 2012-10-29, 15:11

Just turn your screen sideways
Old 2012-10-29, 15:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiggeryPokery View Post
eXode was the first to suggest this last year, iirc. And all of us smacked our hands against our foreheads and proclaimed "d'oh!", wondering why no-one else had thought of that before.

And perhaps it's even more relevant now because Microsoft clearly want to do an Apple and remove all legacy software to move everyone to TIFKAM: but as we know, TIFKAM does not (currently?) support multiple windows: it's full screen. Juggling Reason's three screens around will be largely impossible should Reason have to be rebuilt for it. A single-screen vertical option will be essential.
Yeah! And toggle the mixer view with a hotkey or icon, or drag it downward from the top.

Also, for those curious, my setup is dual monitor. I keep the mixer on the portrait-rotated monitor, and my tool window and sequencer/rack window on the landscape-rotated one. There isn't enough room to have the sequencer, rack, and tool window on one screen side-by-side, and it's really inconvenient if i want to maximize the sequencer or rack (tool window blocks it, have to do it manually which takes a minute, who wants to do that over and over???). But my setup is better than a single combined window with the tool window on the other monitor (believe me, and I've tried that and many other setups, and this one is the most ideal for me). I personally would be delighted if at least, the sequencer and rack could go in one window that was divided that way. If the tool window could be "docked", that would be awesome. I realized it can't really go on the window itself because then you would have multiple tool windows, one in each project. Or would that be a good thing I wonder???

Anyway, landscape monitors are ubiquitous. Reason should rotate with the times
Old 2012-10-29, 15:43

And the fact that you can't detach the sequencer on it's own atm. That is crazy.
Old 2012-10-29, 16:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXode View Post
And the fact that you can't detach the sequencer on it's own atm. That is crazy.
Right????
Old 2012-10-29, 16:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunesis View Post
Just turn your screen sideways
Or... lay on my side...

JK see my earlier post .. I actually have two pivoting monitors
Old 2012-10-29, 18:57

YES YES YES YES YES! I could see this as a simple option in preferences—'vertical' or 'horizontal' when combined.