Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2012-10-30, 11:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by platzangst View Post
This is the flaw in the argument that crops up from time to time: "Well, just drop your prices and you'll sell more!" But you have to sell that much more just to maintain the same income, and nobody can guarantee those sales.
Then why have sales? Polar is currently the best selling RE, following the Halloween sale. So there's definitely something in dropping prices, even for a limited period. Quite tempted by Polar myself, while its on sale. Thought it was a bit expensive before this. Incidentally I think selling RE's as bundles, if it's possible, would be a great way to promote RE's an offer discounts without slashing the prices of individual RE's. I wonder if this might be likely to happen in the future?

Last edited by Dogboy1973; 2012-10-30 at 11:56.
Old 2012-10-30, 12:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboy1973 View Post
...selling RE's as bundles, if it's possible, I wonder if this might be likely to happen in the future?
I hope so.. from both points of view (as a Dev and a Reason-head )
Old 2012-10-30, 17:08

Quote:
Then why have sales? Polar is currently the best selling RE, following the Halloween sale. So there's definitely something in dropping prices, even for a limited period.
Sure, there's something to it, particularly as a promotional event. But keep in mind that with several products in its arsenal, Propellerhead as a whole can afford to, if it chooses, undercut the price of some of its products in order to gin up some buzz. They let Pulsar go for free for a long time, too - were they making money off that? Not directly, perhaps, but they may have figured that the incidental benefits, such as getting people interested and talking about REs, were worth the cost.

But that's not something a smaller developer with a handful of inexpensive products could easily do, and stay in business, or at least maintain a profit.

Look at it this way: Suppose making an RE wasn't just a lark, something you did in your spare time. What if it was how you had to feed yourself? Now ponder how many units of something you'd have to sell to maintain a livable income. Pick an RE. Take a third of the price off to give to the Props. Take some out for the costs of running your business. Now compare what you have left, to how much you make yourself in a month. And that's just one guy, what if your company had other employees?

A developer in that case isn't going to just make one RE and sit on that, obviously, they're going to spread their risk out with multiple products (and not necessarily stick with the RE platform). Again, the balancing act - you want the price low enough to keep people interested, but not so low that you're giving away the store.

Synapse's Antidote just got released! It's 100 bucks right now. Would it sell better at $50? Most likely! But would it sell enough, and rapidly enough, to provide the kind of revenue stream that Synapse needs to justify the effort? That's really difficult for anyone to know, who isn't actually dealing with the real numbers. Not being connected to the company, I'd have no way of knowing, myself. A lot of users have already sunk in a bunch of money for Polysix and Predator. Sure, there's a bit of "new gear" mania out there, and some will go ahead and buy Antidote anyway. But others may be watching their wallets, thinking that they've already got synths, how bad do they need another?

Things like that are why it's difficult to forecast how a sale price will affect matters. People don't always react in the way you think makes most sense. Any price is a gamble and an ongoing adjustment to market forces.

Old 2012-10-31, 04:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by platzangst View Post
Synapse's Antidote just got released! It's 100 bucks right now. Would it sell better at $50? Most likely! But would it sell enough, and rapidly enough, to provide the kind of revenue stream that Synapse needs to justify the effort?
I was going to mention Synapse Antidote because I think it's very interesting how it's been priced. At the introductory price this thing is HUGELY tempting to me & I'm sure it will be to a lot of other people (huge buzz around it currently that has almost come from nothing!). Even at full price it looks very good.

But what's most interesting to me in regards to price, and in the context of this thread, is that it appears to include a lot of onboard effects that Synapse also sell as individual RE's. Now it might be that the individual effects do a lot more than they do in Antidote. But I wouldn't be surprised if the onboard effects borrow heavily from the individual RE's. What's more you can process audio through these onboard effects. So it would seem that Antidote represents fantastic value in relation to Synapse's other devices, which although are well priced (apart from the Ring mod many might argue) collectively cost a lot more than Antidote does!

So how does the pricing work here? Could it be that people will see Antidote as a huge bargain & buy it over Synapse's other devices? (not to mention other RE synths). Or will they now think that Synapse's individual devices are a bit expensive in light of Antidote?! RE pricing is a fine balancing act indeed!! I was very interested in Synapse's RE's. But now I'm most interested in Antidote & it appears it can do a lot of what those other Synapse RE's do anyway!
Old 2012-10-31, 06:22

Quote:
So how does the pricing work here? Could it be that people will see Antidote as a huge bargain & buy it over Synapse's other devices?
They might! Although I note that you can't access Antidote's filter, at the moment, and it has no ring modulator, so those REs are still unique. Plus, "based on" may not mean an exactly equivalent duplication inside Antidote. But it may be good enough for many folks. Back when I was buying hardware, it was a hell of a lot more economical to buy a multi-effects box than a lot of standalone devices.

(Edit: It occurs to me that having the standalones offers more routing choices. Perhaps for some reason you'd want to put the distortion after the reverb. Not a standard usage, but who knows. You'd have to either load up two Antidotes just to do that - or bring in a DR unit. Same with any order of devices not chained as shown on the Antidote front panel...)

Consider this: Predator also has a bank of FX that you can feed audio through, and it's priced at about $120. To be a competitor to Predator, Antidote either has to display overwhelming superiority in some way, or keep its price in the same range, to be a viable alternate choice. Another factor for anyone else making synths for Reason: do they dare to price a synth over $120? Will they feel they have to keep that price or under to be competitive? Or will they try to bring in something extremely unique and unusual, or pack in a large amount of extra features, to justify a higher cost? (Or, give up trying to make a synth RE at all?)

Last edited by platzangst; 2012-10-31 at 09:02.