Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2012-10-31, 20:45

Unhappy 3/4 and 6/8 time signatures

Hey all,

I'm hoping that SOMEONE out there can assist me with a huge issue. I'm pretty new to REASON and I've been unable to find any way to make drum loops in 3/4 or 6/8 time. All the Dr. Octo Rex files are in 4/4 and cannot be manipulated. The ReDrum machine CAN do it, but it's a real pain and it still sounds very rigid...

PLEASE PLEASE someone help! I'm even willing to buy a refill just to expand my music beyond ONE time signature!

Thank you!
Old 2012-10-31, 21:10

You got me curious, so I did a Search for 3/4+loops and 6/8+loops and all of the threads from now back to 2004 were zilcho on any help. The main advice was to make your own, of which I agree. They'll have your own touch, and you can use the ReGroover to add some pizzazz.

However, I do recall our fine fellow member, Mr. Pokery, having some 6/8 loops for something: http://jiggery-pokery.com/kok.html . And hey, welcome to the forums.

Edit: Hey guys - that link to JP’s Kings of Kong ReFill still has his old avatar with the big gorilla wearing his headphones! Ah, the good old days.

Last edited by MayorMcCheese; 2012-10-31 at 21:21.
Old 2012-10-31, 21:12

thanks, MayorMcCheese...I figured about as much. How exactly do you "make your own"? Any tips/suggestions?
Old 2012-10-31, 21:16

A quick search for "3/4 Rex drum loops" in Google gave me some results like this Odd Time Odyssey collection and this forum post with links to his site where there are some REX files in various times available for a small donation (you can actually download them without donating if you want to make sure they'll work for you).

If you want to use the samples you have to play your own drum track, load the loops into Kong and you can play any part of it from one cut to the whole loop by hitting the pad you've assigned that section of the loop to.

I don't do much with loops so someone else might have more to add, but I hope that helps.
Old 2012-10-31, 22:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by seekylesing View Post
How exactly do you "make your own"? Any tips/suggestions?
You record yourself playing them on a drum kit and then chop them up in recycle to get rex-files.

You can off course program them in Reason (as you allready found out, with redrum or directly drawing notes in the sequencer). But if you don't want them to sound rigid, you have to know exactly how velocity affects the sound of a drum and where a good drummer would play accents and then program it accordingly. The regroove mixer can then be used to introduce some "human" timing deviations.
Old 2012-10-31, 22:59

I had the same question a while ago. Ended up buying Record Drum Takes 5- Dry Indie...6/8 beats there and it sounds great. : )
Old 2012-10-31, 23:07

http://www.propellerheads.se/downloa...fm?FileID=1168
If I remember correctly this demo of Groove Monkee Country has a whole load of midi files in 3/4 and 6/8.
Mayor McCheese showed me the way back when I was wanting to waltz myself into oblivion
Old 2012-11-01, 01:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by seekylesing View Post
Hey all,

I'm hoping that SOMEONE out there can assist me with a huge issue. I'm pretty new to REASON and I've been unable to find any way to make drum loops in 3/4 or 6/8 time. All the Dr. Octo Rex files are in 4/4 and cannot be manipulated. The ReDrum machine CAN do it, but it's a real pain and it still sounds very rigid...

PLEASE PLEASE someone help! I'm even willing to buy a refill just to expand my music beyond ONE time signature!

Thank you!
My reccomendation would be to spend the moey on Nucleus SoundLab's BFD Core refill.
It gives you a ton of drumkits plus 2200 MIDI grooves (lots of which are 6/8 and 3/4.
Seems like a much better investment than a loop library for about the same price.
Old 2012-11-01, 07:49

As far as I know there arent any such loops.

A great way of creating such loops in Reason 6+ is to set your time sig to 6/8 or 3/4 etc. You might have noticed that the grids on the sequencer have moved? It helps if you already had a loop preloaded to see the difference!
Now use the time stretch to make the loop fit into the new grid structure.
I have gotten some super cool beats by doing this

Good luck, I'd be interested to know if it works for you!
Old 2012-11-01, 08:37

You can construct loops with any 3/4, 5/8, 6/8, 7/8 and other signatures from standard 4/4.

But.. Some time ago I had noticed limit 16/16 in the Reason and I cannot make 17/8 and 19/8 signatures now.