Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2012-10-30, 02:45

Im not too sure if the Maschine is currently compatible with Reason(probably is) but I just bought the Renaissance and there is no update or Rack Extension out yet to combine both products. i know Akai announced that their will be future updates so you could use the Ren with your favorite DAW. Right now the Ren is only compatible with PT, Logic, Cubase, Etc. and its own software. I would suggest you wait till there is(if there ever will be) an update to use both products seamlessly either through ReWire, SYNC, or as a Rack Extension. On a short note, The Renaissance is EPIC!....with regards to a lame software sequencer. That is why I would love to see Reason and the MPC integration. Imagine the possibilities.
Old 2012-10-30, 04:54

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtmartin89 View Post
Im not too sure if the Maschine is currently compatible with Reason(probably is) but I just bought the Renaissance and there is no update or Rack Extension out yet to combine both products. i know Akai announced that their will be future updates so you could use the Ren with your favorite DAW. Right now the Ren is only compatible with PT, Logic, Cubase, Etc. and its own software. I would suggest you wait till there is(if there ever will be) an update to use both products seamlessly either through ReWire, SYNC, or as a Rack Extension. On a short note, The Renaissance is EPIC!....with regards to a lame software sequencer. That is why I would love to see Reason and the MPC integration. Imagine the possibilities.
Neither Maschine nor the Ren has any direct bridging to Reason, but you can get a thing called ReWire VST which will open a ReWire app inside a VST track. This is how I use Maschine and Reason together during the building process, then at the end I go into Reason with all the stems and open a new file to mix.

That appears to be the opinion actually amongst all the honest types who have checked both Maschine and the Ren - that the Ren has the better hardware, and better MIDI options but that it's software is a joke next to Maschine.

I guess given the prior history of both NI and Numark, this shouldn't really come as a surprise to anyone. I have to feel that NI missed an opportunity to really upgrade the hardware by a lot more than they did with the MK2, because there isn't much new at this stage, although the new idea is that this one is future proofed and I reckon that the Maschine 2.0 (software) required the changes in order to move towards being a more fully fledged DAW. Still I think that the Ren gets a big advantage by having a rotary per pad format, and I wouldn't mind seeing a more fundamentally redesigned hardware unit as an option for a future version.

Cheers
Old 2012-10-30, 09:01

Maschine is right now the best software to create beats! Better than Akai old mpc and Ren, Kong, Live drum rack or any drum vst that emulate an mpc.
Old 2012-11-01, 11:28

Maschine has a huge amount of kits out of the box and the expansions are pretty good.
However, regardless of what some people might tell you, you still need a DAW.
Same goes for Ren.
I suspect NI is paying very close attention to Push at the moment.
Old 2012-11-01, 16:20

Had a maschine a while ago and going back to it as an add on/controller for reason workflow. I looked into the Ren but that price and no hardware standalone it just an expensive joke. You can grab a maschine just the controller for like $200-250, x6 and you can buy the same thing with the Ren. I agree that software wise maschine > ren. If the Ren dualed as an actual MPC then yeah go for it because you got a MPC and a controller but that price just for something with the Akai name on it?...

also I came from MPC only so im a big Akai fan but feel like they let most down with the Ren and trying to call it a MPC.

Last edited by jacobhuff; 2012-11-01 at 16:24.