Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2012-08-01, 17:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by selig View Post
Any CV can be delayed in Reason by passing it through a Thor and converting to audio and using Thor's Delay (or external delays), and finally converting back to CV before passing it on. :-)
Good to know. I wonder whether whoever posted the suggestion realizes that?
Zotac/Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 2 Gb, NZXT H2 "Silent" case w/liquid cooling
Presonus AudioBox USB, Behringer B2031A, JBL PSW D110 sub

Kennesaw (Atlanta), Georgia, USA
Old 2012-08-01, 17:51

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by selig View Post
Any CV can be delayed in Reason by passing it through a Thor and converting to audio and using Thor's Delay (or external delays), and finally converting back to CV before passing it on. :-)
You do have to turn up the amount in the ModMatrix though *IF* the audio doesn't reach digital zero, and because MIDI works at 0 to 127 steps, and Thor input is 0 to 100, so to get to 127 you add in a second line on ModMatrix, set Audio input 1 to 100 again to CV out 1 but instead of 100 like in slot 1 I found that if you set to 27 to 100 again you have more 'output'. Also using the dials on the back to scale the input can be handy.

Also Thor Audio to CV seems 'skip' some audio frames on small samples (and I mean something like say at 120bpm @ 44100hz = 1/8th would be 45.9375 samples, so say 46samples), if played too fast (say if i had a saw wave set at 46samples, and I went up 2 octaves, that's now 11 samples, and to get the movement that fast is incredibly hard). When I get to this stage though I end up using automation lanes instead to get the desired sound.

If you had 'noise' and used that instead, so Thor works as an audio follower to CV (so volume control in the WAV / noise source could be the mod instead) you could have 'smoother' control, but if you go faster again, then Thor may have trouble keeping up (so I've found). Tried using Scream 4 envelope follower before but didn't work how I hoped

Go past a certain speed and either 'frames' are dropped or skipped, as the dials / controls cannot go that fast using audio as a source. Automation works fine in this sense too.

Been messing with 1/8th samples a while ago when on R4 to try this, had to double up samples etc to get to the required level, and also remember that CV works in bi-polar (unless using R6 now, which Combi allows uni- and bi- switching... handy!!), so had unipolar samples (top of sample window to zero line, nothing below) so I had a unipolar CV via Audio. Tried to sequence and it does work, but at slower than wanted speeds. Malstrom was my next port of call, but found that the MODs on it continue even after the note has been released. Be good if there was an option to have the MODs stop when keypresses were released, opposed to finishing their cycle. Maybe a Key on/key off detection can turn off the MOD on Malstrom to cut it short... now that's something I didnt think of... Keypress on, Malstrom triggered, MOD cycles, Key released, MOD off... job done.. ok will get back to you on this asap... thinking multiple Malstroms as MOD sources, and keyon / keyoff options (hopefully). Let me get constructing when I get in...

Last edited by djfresha; 2012-08-01 at 17:59. Reason: my poor typing skills lol
Old 2012-08-01, 19:54

additionally.... I thave noticed that you will get some latency as you'r efeeding audio in to Thor, it needs to process that into CV and send back out. So you might when you get the sound you want bounce to audio and manually shift it. This is the payoff when you start using devices as workhorses alternatively to how they normally would be used. just to make you guys aware
Old 2012-11-04, 14:56

Suppose you had a Combinator that played three or more guitar samples say of individual notes in some NN-XTs and maybe you have Transposed some of the ReceiveNotes to make the notes of the chord for the relevant NN-XT but you don't really want them all triggering together. You want a bit of movement or strum, and delaying the Gates on the NN-XTs by various amounts a little seems like a good idea. Going in and out of Audio Delays (say: Subtractor->Delay->Scream[AutoCV]) is tedious.

Last edited by markdarbyshire; 2012-11-04 at 15:22. Reason: Clarification
Old 2012-11-04, 16:49

Wouldn't it be useful for changing the phase of a signal on low freq signals?
Synth Rock
Old 2012-11-04, 16:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by tincture View Post
Wouldn't it be useful for changing the phase of a signal on low freq signals?
Yes, IF the resolution was high enough - you definitely need sub 1 ms resolution, and you need to know the precise frequency of the input signal before you could calculate the correct "delay to phase" amounts. :-)
USA
Old 2012-11-04, 20:23

Ah, thats the next RE from Ochen, next days A normal CV-delay is done quite not as hard (example: synced down to 64th, anyway no problem), how it looks with 1 ms I don´t know actually.
Waiting for SDK.
* MAC & PC *: Reason / Recycle / Reason Ess. (7.01 / 2 / 2.01), Ableton Live-Suite 8, Harrison Mixbus 2.3.1, Reaper, ReNoise, MuTools, Energy-XT, MOTU BPM (with / and all Plugs from MOTU), MakeMusic Finale 2012, NanoStudio - * PC *: Samplitude Pro (Favo on PC !), Cakewalk: Project 5 / Sonar XPro, FL-Studio (complete with many of those Plugs) - * MAC *: LogicPro 9.18, MOTU DP 7.24 (My Favo on MAC) - * Apple IOS-Musicsoftware *: simply All ...
* VST/AU *: All MOTU-Plugs, all AAS-Plugs, NI FM8 & P5 & B4, Arturia Moog V & MiniMoog & CS80 & Arp 2600, ImpOscar, Korg digital & analog Edition, CMS Hall & Masterplugs, Cakewalk DimensionPro & Rapture, Waldorf Edition, Synapse Dune and more
* REFILLS *: Over 98 GB of "Original"-ReFills (Props / Soundcells / Reasonbanks / SonicR. / Mirosl. / SonicF. / Synth X ... ... Mostly use own programmed Sounds) - * RE´s *: Some ...
* - Propellerhead-User since ReBirth (Steinberg), Reason-/ReCycle-User since V.1 - * / since 1986 Progr. / Develop. / BTest / Brainst

-----------------------------------------------------------------------