Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2012-07-04, 13:50

"Backwards compatible" means that you can open items created in an earlier version of a product in its newer versions.
Not the other way around
Old 2012-07-04, 14:06

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0ahg View Post
Have you thought that Reason 6 might memory map the disc file to save on RAM when working on a project? This is a common way for an application to handle it's resources. I always keep working files desperate from files I want to keep frozen.
I can appreciate the amount of memory mapping that takes place in, well, any DAW. Could you be more specific? Do you mean different memory mapping between 6 and 6.5? MMF's are all over the place in such programs, specific to all kinds of different attributes. Be it flushing files, sharing, etc. Memory mapping certainly saves and handles disk ram, swap files, and allocates ram space, but I'm not sure of how you've applied this to "6" in your comment. I suspect the lower rev does not see or can read the latest mem mapping. Interesting.

When saving files in general, yes, yes! Definately store on a different drive if one cares about their work.

You're probably just the right person I should ask about the advantages to using a seperate drive when sampling heavily with something like Vienna Instruments. Please shed any light you can on the subject and how your comment effects 6 vs 6.5. Thanks!

Last edited by Lokeyfly; 2012-07-04 at 14:32.
Old 2012-11-04, 23:00

Angry Not good for people in education

This causes a big problem for me, and anyone else with 6.5 who uses Reason in college or school. My university upgraded to 6, but they can't upgrade to 6.5 because multi-user licenses for 6.5 aren't available. This might not be the most common scenario, but it causes headaches for any music or music tech students because they either have to delay the update or have two partitions so they can run both versions.

A nice compromise would be making it possible to install old versions alongside new ones
Old 2012-11-04, 23:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattybigback View Post
A nice compromise would be making it possible to install old versions alongside new ones
This works fine, just copy in the correct prefs file before switching which version you are running.
Old 2012-11-05, 01:11

Quote:
You can download the latest version of 6.0.2 here...

https://www.propellerheads.se/downlo...reason_updates

After installing it (to a folder named "Reason 6.0.2" or similar, or it will overwrite your 6.5 installation...), just add shortcuts to the sound banks in the 6.5 folder. The shortcuts need to be named exactly the same as the sound banks to work.

If you don't have a 6.0 serial number to run this authorized, contact Propellerhead and request one, as I think (don't know for sure...) that they will issue one.

If they don't, you can still create your projects, and take them to school, and work on them there. You wouldn't be able to re-open them on 6.0.2 at home, but you could open them in 6.5 if you were finished with the assignment.

I'm not exactly sure how you would need to manage the USB key, as I use internet authorization.
Old 2012-11-05, 15:10

"Why cant the old version open the new version file? " O_o

really Dawg? How about you try and open a new MS Word doc in an old MS Word without it saying incompatible

Geez!!

"Life is like a Rhythm; Flow with it and you'll be Fine" - Sid Mercutio 1979 - ?
Old 2013-03-13, 16:01

Yes, I have just discovered this. I programmed a demo for my students on my 6.5 at home (it took me all day) and just brought it into school where we run 6.0.2 on 23 machines. Bingo, the file is not compatable. I am extremely frustrated and very very annoyed annoyed.
Old 2013-03-13, 16:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpiGenetik View Post
No one who has a lot of experience with software should expect to be able to open new files in an older version. Sorry if this sounds harsh, but it really is the case with just about every major software upgrade on Earth!
TELL HIM AGAIN! And if he finds ANY software that allows an older version to be fully compatible with a newer version....let us know ¬_¬

"Life is like a Rhythm; Flow with it and you'll be Fine" - Sid Mercutio 1979 - ?
Old 2013-03-13, 16:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludvigc View Post
hi,

reason 6.5 is backwards compatible, meaning that it can open songs made in any previous version of reason, all the way back to reason 1.

The opposite does not work though, which is what the op pointed out. This is due to structural changes in reson 6.5, which make the file format incompatible with reason 6.

We don't feel this is much of a problem since reason 6.5 is a free upgrade - anyone that owns reason 6 can upgrade to 6.5 at any time.

/ ludvigc
tell him again!!

Old 2013-03-13, 16:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbain View Post
It's not unheard of for software to be "forward compatible". I've got the Adobe Production Suite Cs3, and I think that all of the programs in it will open projects created in later versions. I know for a fact that Photoshop and Illustrator do.

I really don't understand why more software isn't like this, unless it's some type of necessity as far as the source code of new features is concerned. But it seems to me that in the case, they could still make it so if it opens in an earlier version of the software, elements of those new features simply wouldn't be present in the new song. But I've probably just way over-simplified the process, and may be completely wrong on how it works.
If you used a newer feature not present in the older version and then opened your newer version in the older one.....what would happen? O_o

Frankly i dont see what this is all about. Its quite clear cut and simple.

Propellerheads have a history of stability within their products (hence why no darn VST's) and i think they'll be damned if they'll jeopardize that for ..in your words "forward compatibility" which is totally not needed for anyone who can upgrade FREELY to the next update.