Propellerhead Software
Old 2012-11-05, 15:52

backspin

Hi guys,

Can anyone pls tell me how to create that awesome dj backspin effect on reason.. I saw a post on youtube using protools... I just love that effect but not enough to go buy protools. pls help!!!
Old 2012-11-05, 16:06

Easy one bud

Use NNXT for this.

If you want a spinback of your own track, then bounce out an 8 bar loop of your choice, either with or without bassline.

Import into NNXT, set loop on (you can right click and edit the sample in Reason 6). Reverse the sample and save it, make sure loop is set on and in forward mode (so it rewinds)

Now - set polyphony to 1, as this may come in useful shortly. Set portamento to medium speed, adjust to suit once you start to test it out. Have pitchbend mode to 24, as again this may come in useful.

Now in the sequencer hit C3 for the length of the rewind spinback you want. You can then either:

1) use pitchbending, and do maximum pitch bend up down to pitchbend down, edit as you go. you might need to make some curves instead of a straight line to get it to sound right

..or..

2) use portamento, by having a high note hit in sequencer and add another note a 16th or 8th after wards, say 2 octaves down (ie C1) - portamento will do the pitch bend down for you over x time depending on portamento speed

If you get stuck let me know and PM me for more info

From one DJ to another

PS a note for backward looping - might sound odd if you do a full bar forward then follow it with a full bar backwards - a neat trick is to backward loop halfway through the loop so instead of:

1-2-3-4 4-3-2-1

you would do

1-2-3-4 2-1-4-3

sounds more 'natural' - old skool trick. Check out 'some Justice' by Urban Shakedown and sample the loops forward and backwards to hear what I mean

ReQ·131 in the RE Store:
http://shop.propellerheads.se/produc...31-31-band-eq/

Lab:One Recordings (C) 2011-2012
http://www.lab-one-recordings.co.uk
Old 2012-11-05, 16:18

wow! thanks.. though i'm somewhat ashamed to admit that it doesn't sound quite so easy.. will read through carefully and get back to u..

thanks once again
Old 2012-11-05, 16:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by djfresha View Post
Easy one bud

Use NNXT for this.

If you want a spinback of your own track, then bounce out an 8 bar loop of your choice, either with or without bassline.

Import into NNXT, set loop on (you can right click and edit the sample in Reason 6). Reverse the sample and save it, make sure loop is set on and in forward mode (so it rewinds)

Now - set polyphony to 1, as this may come in useful shortly. Set portamento to medium speed, adjust to suit once you start to test it out. Have pitchbend mode to 24, as again this may come in useful.

Now in the sequencer hit C3 for the length of the rewind spinback you want. You can then either:

1) use pitchbending, and do maximum pitch bend up down to pitchbend down, edit as you go. you might need to make some curves instead of a straight line to get it to sound right

..or..

2) use portamento, by having a high note hit in sequencer and add another note a 16th or 8th after wards, say 2 octaves down (ie C1) - portamento will do the pitch bend down for you over x time depending on portamento speed

If you get stuck let me know and PM me for more info

From one DJ to another

PS a note for backward looping - might sound odd if you do a full bar forward then follow it with a full bar backwards - a neat trick is to backward loop halfway through the loop so instead of:

1-2-3-4 4-3-2-1

you would do

1-2-3-4 2-1-4-3

sounds more 'natural' - old skool trick. Check out 'some Justice' by Urban Shakedown and sample the loops forward and backwards to hear what I mean

heres another simple way use my audio patch then you can use it on any audio source thats recorded etc etc add it as insert in the track you want to use it on if ya want the whole tune to do it bounce out the bit ya want to use then add this into the device insert all buttons assigned.
use the pitch bend for real time pitch up or down and the formant too if you like and even throw a bit of vibrato in reverse what ever you are using and the best bit is if you doing the whole tune and not just seprate tracks you can also automate the tempo too speed it up or slow it down to great effect you can also modulate the pitches etc enjoy . http://www.datafilehost.com/download-9113ca15.html

and to get this just razor ya loop /wav what ever and chop it about do forwards backwards reverses etc you can get some awesome scratching with this too .
simple example of this being used as scratching is here in this one is very basic example about half way through it does a bit more of it and its all reason. i have done shit loads of scratching using reason only to generate the effects and emulate vinyl techniques this wa ssimple example .
http://soundcloud.com/mac0/djdeath-reason-dj-emulation

--------------LUCEO-NON-URO---------------

Last edited by mac0123; 2012-11-05 at 16:26. Reason: add
Old 2012-11-05, 23:52

wow.. u guys r way ahead.. thanks.. will try all of the above..
Old 2012-11-07, 16:55

great tips here guys.....very nice helpful thread.
Old 2012-11-07, 17:01

Any ties guys... here to get me brain picked