Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Music Forum (read only)

Old 2012-11-02, 11:14

Thanks a lot for the feedback guys, that's given me a bit to think about (always a good thing!). I've slightly updated the mix so the guitars are a bit lower in the chorus and the vocals should sound a little less "muffled" in the chorus/build-up sections. I've made a couple of other tweaks but I'll probably be leaving this alone for the time being, lest I get completely obsessed with it and never start working on something else!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIGITUS View Post
Okay, I gave it another listen this morning with fresh rested ears and I think I may have exaggerated a bit. However, there are definitely 2 areas on the track where I still stand by my earlier statements. The first one occurs at the 1:15 climax and the 2nd occurs at 2:16. I think the pad during these chorus sections kind of mask the vocals and gives that strong white noise reverb effect I mentioned. Even so, the vocals are excellent and I know you're not exactly a newbie when it comes to music production. So, take what I've written and get 2nd and 3rd opinions of course...
That's cool, I appreciate the honesty and I suspect the main problem with the times you mentioned was with the guitars - they were quite overpowering, so I've notched them slightly. Outside of that, the vocals are supposed to sound quite heavily processed so I don't want to take too much away from that, just a stylistic choice I guess. It's certainly not something I plan to carry over into my other songs Thanks a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh73888 View Post
great percussion - real clap sits great in the mix and has perfect delay/verb tail to give it the real live sound. The vocal is awesome - i think the effects on it should have more automation tho - like 1:50ish for this verse it should start dry then at the second part of the verse u could automate them back in

2:31 gets muddy - cuz of the effects on your voice - the rest of the track all sounds great. bass could be a tad louder tbh but thats mostly taste im a bass junky. kick sounds good. although its not punching thru as much as id like. this is such a cool track - like i said i would love to do a remix or do something with your vocals in general. you have a fantastic voice.
Thanks! A lot of the percussion is from Tom Pritchard's ThorKit Refill, so a lot of it is single shot Thor drums. I've tweaked the vocals slightly in regards to the distortion, but as I mentioned above I wanted them to have a quite heavily processed feel to it without sounding like Cher or something! I'm not sure what I have planned for this or the other similar tracks I've been working on, I'm thinking maybe an EP so if I decide to go down the remix route I'll try to remember to give you a nudge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave909 View Post
This is just wonderful!! Much respect to you as an artist Adam!
Thanks a lot, really glad you liked it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrichards View Post
Have you considered working with a lyricist/poet? Cream did and it did wonders. Hendrix spent every waking moment writing poetry and it really paid off. I just can't help but feel that you are on the verge a major breakthrough, not just for you personally, but from a cultural point of view. To have music with such power combined with lyrics that touch those deep wounds that are felt everywhere these days as the corporate world digs its claws into everyone, wreaking havoc on the lives and relationships of everyone, that would be staggering to hear. Don't know why, I think you could do it. Can you sidechain the vocals and the music so that the vocals stand out more? I'm not good with this technical problem with vocals. Maybe some of the technical experts on the forum could try that? Great work as usual.
Thanks - certainly a lot to think about there. To be honest I've never considered working with a lyricist. The cool thing about writing music like this (and working entirely with Reason) is that I can stand back and say "this is mine, this is what I wanted to do and this is how I wanted it to sound" and I'm somewhat loath to relinquish control over such an integral part of the track. I'm flattered that you think so well of where I'm going with this though, and I hope I can live up to your expectations!
Old 2012-11-02, 12:48

Hey Ad, Loved the track a lot, nice dreamy atmospheres. Good to see you doing your favorite kind of stuff again.
Old 2012-11-02, 18:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirnikas View Post
Hey Ad, Loved the track a lot, nice dreamy atmospheres. Good to see you doing your favorite kind of stuff again.
Thanks mate! Good to be getting back into it, it's been a while
Old 2012-11-03, 07:59

Thatd be legit - just let me know. Your voice is perfect for a Gabriel & Dresden comeback.
Old 2012-11-04, 09:35

This is seriously some of the finest synth-pop I've heard in a very long time. I love the rhythmic flow of the track. The pads are particularly lovely. I've listened to it multiple times already. I've been doing synth-pop for 20-plus years, and this is some of the best I've heard. You've really got the gift, sir. I hope to hear much more. Excellent track. Thanks for posting

Cheers,

J

Eminent Domain Synth-Pop & Electronic Music Blog:
http://eminessence.wordpress.com

"Everything Counts In Large Amounts" - M.L. Gore
Old 2012-11-06, 16:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberJimm View Post
This is seriously some of the finest synth-pop I've heard in a very long time. I love the rhythmic flow of the track. The pads are particularly lovely. I've listened to it multiple times already. I've been doing synth-pop for 20-plus years, and this is some of the best I've heard. You've really got the gift, sir. I hope to hear much more. Excellent track. Thanks for posting
Thanks a lot for the kind words - I'm sort-of tentatively working on an EP of similar material at the moment, so I'll see how it goes from there. I'll definitely be posting it here when I get it finished