Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Music Forum (read only)

Old 2012-11-07, 11:18

So this is what Mastering does!!

Hi everyone.

A sound engineer who is trying to get his new mastering business off the ground, contacted me and offered to master one of my tracks in exchange for using before/after samples in his publicity.

I chose Natural Progression, my first (hint hint) collaboration with Carl Grace.

The engineer (A New Zealand based guy trading as Greenwood Audio) told me to remove all effects from the master buss, tweak a few levels and reduce the overall level because the original track was clipping, then sent him a 96kHz, 24bit WAV file to work on.

It took a couple of iterations for me to get the raw track right for him to master, here's the end result:

http://soundcloud.com/raymondhayter/...ion-remastered

Apologies for the big preamble - I just found the process very interesting - it opened my eyes to the realm of mixing and mastering. So much to learn, so little time :-)

Anyway - I promised the engineer I'd give him feedback on his work, so will pass on any comments anyone here shares.

cheers,
Raymond
Old 2012-11-07, 12:36

I haven't A/B'ed the remaster with the original, but if nothing else it brings out the vocals as I had suggested in an earlier comment. I'd love to know how that's done. The result is even more magnificent than before. I have listened to this piece many times and still haven't got tired of it.
Zotac/Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 2 Gb, NZXT H2 "Silent" case w/liquid cooling
Presonus AudioBox USB, Behringer B2031A, JBL PSW D110 sub

Kennesaw (Atlanta), Georgia, USA
Old 2012-11-07, 12:43

The remastered version sounds louder. Has a little more kick on the bassdrum.
But for a layman like me it´s hard to tell if it´s better.
And remember, blessed are the cheesemakers, and any manufacturers of dairy-based music !
Quote:
Originally Posted by obroadfield View Post
You're a hero Eric...thank you.
Old 2012-11-07, 12:48

wow. I A/B-ed and the difference is amazing. The original was good but the remastered version was so much deeper, brighter and crisper; the vocals sounded amazing. So, er, who's this guy and how much does he charge?!

https://soundcloud.com/snakeofjune

Loading SoundCloud…
Old 2012-11-07, 12:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeofjune View Post
So, er, who's this guy and how much does he charge?!
Rates per song:
$50 standard mastering
$100 stem mastering

2 song revisions, 24bit/96k
16bit/44k and MP3 return.
Online delivery welcome.
And remember, blessed are the cheesemakers, and any manufacturers of dairy-based music !
Quote:
Originally Posted by obroadfield View Post
You're a hero Eric...thank you.
Old 2012-11-07, 13:31

Listening right now. I haven't done a comparison yet, but the bass really rides nicely in my headphones. Mind you they are about a hundred bucks more than the ones I was using when I listened to the original. I'll go back and listen to the original again.
Old 2012-11-07, 13:37

Okay. Listening to the original. Yeah. The vocals especially are much more clear. The bass lays down like a thick magic carpet that holds everything else up.
Old 2012-11-07, 14:32

Wink

It's a real nice blend!
Old 2012-11-07, 16:24

Sounds very nice. Haven't A/B'd but the vocals and bass are recognisably improved. Sounds like it was a fun venture. So when you say he wanted the stems without any buss effects did the stems still have any insert effects on them or was each completely dry?
Synth Rock
Old 2012-11-08, 04:57

This is quite awesome, Raymond. It is certainly an improvement over the original but I'm not 100% sure I know what the reason is.... It could be the mastering, or it could be the changes you made to the mix. At any rate it sounds like it is finally DONE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryszard View Post
I haven't A/B'ed the remaster with the original, but if nothing else it brings out the vocals as I had suggested in an earlier comment. I'd love to know how that's done. The result is even more magnificent than before. I have listened to this piece many times and still haven't got tired of it.
I agree the vocals sound much better. I wasn't able to improve them myself on the other song (Master of My Heart) but Raymond and the mastering engineer certainly did wonders with them. Besides being a bit louder, they seem much clearer somehow, like they were behind a curtain before. I suspect it has to do with the EQ but I haven't been able to figure it out myself. I tried cutting the lows but then the vocals get thin. I tried with the highs but then my vocals get dull if I cut or brittle if I boost. This mixing thing is hard.

Thanks for your critiques over the last few songs, ryszard. You've really got me thinking and trying to improve my mixing skills.

Loading SoundCloud…