Propellerhead Software
Old 2012-11-07, 16:42

Issues recording guitar

Hi, i am having some issues recording my guitar into reason 6.
I can hear my guitar when i plug it into my mixing desk, and in reason i can see the sound being registered in the channel. But when i try creating any device / amp /fx or anything at all i just get incredible feedback and all the reason levels max out

My soundcard is an Audiophile audiophile 2496 and this is my desk http://www.audio-depot.com/images/mackie402VLZ3.jpg

I put the jack from my guitar into line 1 with the gain fairly low

Any help would be appreciated

Thank you
Old 2012-11-07, 16:57

Are you by any chance running the output of Reason into the desk? I'm sure you aren't, but just wanted to eliminate the obvious. Doing so would create a feedback loop such as you are experiencing.
Zotac/Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 2 Gb, NZXT H2 "Silent" case w/liquid cooling
Presonus AudioBox USB, Behringer B2031A, JBL PSW D110 sub

Kennesaw (Atlanta), Georgia, USA
Old 2012-11-07, 17:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryszard View Post
Are you by any chance running the output of Reason into the desk? I'm sure you aren't, but just wanted to eliminate the obvious. Doing so would create a feedback loop such as you are experiencing.
Thanks for the response.

I may be, im unsure. Admittedly i am absolutely useless at anything like this.

How would i find this out?

At present in reason my preferences / Audio / Audio Card Driver says ASIO M-Audio delta ASIO and my output says

Analog out 1/2 L Delta AP / Analog out 1/2 R Delta AP

Sorry for coming across as dumb, it's just ive only ever plugged a guitar into an amp, and that's about as far as my knowledge goes on the matter

Thanks
Old 2012-11-07, 17:54

Change your preferences to read Audiophile 2496.
Old 2012-11-07, 18:20
Propellerhead

The default preferences for Reason have Monitoring set to Automatic.
With that setting, Reason starts monitoring the signal as soon as you select a audio track.

If you get feedback when Reason is monitoring, that's a sign that the signal sent out from Reason is fed back into Reason through the audio inputs of the audio interface.

So, if your desk is connected to audio interface at both inputs and outputs, you have two main options:

1. Set Reason to Manual or External monitoring, so that it does not monitor through the software automatically. When you record, you can monitor directly at the desk, and the desk can mix the guitar with the track coming out of Reason.

2. Make sure the desk output, fed to audio interface input, does not loop back the sound coming from the audio interface output. Then monitor through Reason, which will then mix monitored sound with the Reason track.
Old 2012-11-07, 19:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by jengstrom View Post
The default preferences for Reason have Monitoring set to Automatic.
With that setting, Reason starts monitoring the signal as soon as you select a audio track.

If you get feedback when Reason is monitoring, that's a sign that the signal sent out from Reason is fed back into Reason through the audio inputs of the audio interface.

So, if your desk is connected to audio interface at both inputs and outputs, you have two main options:

1. Set Reason to Manual or External monitoring, so that it does not monitor through the software automatically. When you record, you can monitor directly at the desk, and the desk can mix the guitar with the track coming out of Reason.

2. Make sure the desk output, fed to audio interface input, does not loop back the sound coming from the audio interface output. Then monitor through Reason, which will then mix monitored sound with the Reason track.
So i set the monitoring to external, it now records but i don't hear any effects until i play it back in reason

The desk does run into the input and output on desk but i have no idea how to stop the sound looping back to reason. Tried pressing every button on the desk and still no luck. This is the first time i have ever tried to record instruments like this and i have very basic knowledge of desks / Pc's ...like i said, my experience with anything like this is plugin the guitar straight into the amp.

Ill persevere, ill hit the right thing at some point lol
Old 2012-11-07, 20:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelee View Post
So i set the monitoring to external, it now records but i don't hear any effects until i play it back in reason
Click the little button with a speaker icon on your audio track in the sequencer.
Old 2012-11-09, 11:17
Propellerhead

If you use external monitoring in Reason, or turn off monitoring, the recorded sound is not monitored by Reason, so you can not hear the effects in Reason.

In other words, external monitoring is only right for you if you want to monitor the raw sound of what you plug into the desk (e.g. your guitar), directly from the desk, while you record your take.

If you want to listen (i.e. monitor) through the effects in Reason while recording your takes, then you want to monitor through Reason. I.e. option 2. in my last post.

These steps should take you there:

1. Set monitoring to Automatic in Reason
2. Make sure the only signal going into your audio interface inputs is the guitar sound. Reason output must not be heard on the line going into audio input

This may require you to do one of the following:

A. Connect guitar directly to audio interface inputs (i.e. stop using desk for input)

B. Use desk features such as aux send, fx send, main out + control room out, or whatever your desk has, to let you listen to Reason output without also feeding it to the audio interface input.

C. Connect audio interface outputs directly to listening equipment (i.e. stop using desk for output)