Propellerhead Software
Old 2012-11-08, 00:26

some are very ugly and it's a bad thing when you see that most vst that sell are very nice and make nothing more then RE's

It's like gambling !!!
but you get something out the slot everytime you click ! lol

▓▓▓
dಠಠb
_(Θ)_

No Respect for the Talion Law , I whant it All !
Old 2012-11-08, 10:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by djSidious View Post
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has noticed that most of the RE's popping up lately have terrible UI design? If not that , then the look of it is just....urgh and meh

I mean, They should take a page from Props, Softube, PEFF and U-He. Their RE's look awesome AND it speaks quality when you see that.

Im not saying that the others aren't good and quality working stuff but Props have had a thing about making things look right and solid rather than plain and flat. It gives it an authenticity and accomplished approach.

Iono maybe im just whining but it does hamper what I put money on especially when some don't justify the price and im like "But it looks ugly"
Yes we have noticed. I agree with you. It has been discussed before only I am looking more as to what else is out there outside of Reason with plug ins that provide much more usable visual feedback. Not just from Re's only. I hope it does not cloud your original post with Re's only, but hopefully adds to the conversation and what could be capable.

It does seem pretty apparent based on the commonality of modules in the rack. All knobs and switches with little to no use of visual GUI elements. It looks as though PH need to create more than just existing knob rich RE's (or have them created by third party development) and look further into re developing the object based GUI that is in place right now. It appears the present graphics user interface does lack in providing visual feedback to the rack modules. By that I am referring to more than just knobs, buttons, faders (oh my). Mind you, I'm not complaining, because the present rack is a wonderful open design. However, all one needs to do is glance at some of the plug in and DAW designs out there , spectrum analyzers and other such modules where graphics play a big roll in visual and operational feedback. Such designs provide visual elements from simple compressor envelopes to 3D fourier analysis. Granted, Reason can't provide all things to all people (hence, rack extensions), but PH has chosen a GUI that for the most part equip users with a lot of knobs and faders as far as rack modules go. As for what's under the hood may be another discussion but it's safe to say that the current design is very stable.

How nice would it be with Reason, to continue to have the luxury of stacking an enormous amount of rack effects and instruments without seeing redraw lag while creating just enough open GL viewports, and not hurt GUI responsiveness. Ah, we can hope!

Last edited by Lokeyfly; 2012-11-08 at 11:58.
Old 2012-11-08, 15:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokeyfly View Post
Yes we have noticed. I agree with you. It has been discussed before only I am looking more as to what else is out there outside of Reason with plug ins that provide much more usable visual feedback. Not just from Re's only. I hope it does not cloud your original post with Re's only, but hopefully adds to the conversation and what could be capable.

yep you right about the knoobs but they could already make some nice skins for the RE ,
I'm not asking to have custromables skins for RE but I'm asking for the developers to make some real work on there RE skins because most VST's that Sell huge in the market are not very good but they got super skins made by super graphist or designers and that give Credit to the all thing ,
you can look at the logic by thinking in ( wear ) hardwear , sportswear etc ...
exemple : if you go to a low budjet clothing shop you know them close will be dead in a short time because they low callity but they cheap and they look actual because they fallow fashion so you get the the shirt that flash for 10 box to get out and look nice knowing you aint wearing a royal brend but ladys whont look at the brand as long as it look classi ,
it's the same with VST's, most vst are only samplers that are designed to look like a synth and that only play samples that are tweaked by a few basic fx into the rack , well they sound right , rich and everything like the real expensive synth but when you look inside there is nothing much .
Re's are like the royal brand but not yet because (not very fashion) ok but you can see the high callity just by looking at the shirt composition notice even if the deign is from year 1356 !

we living into a design time , it's been like 10 years that media designers are the new fashion makers in any media and a studiant in media art design could make the company a lot more cash because most clients of the company do not know a thing about what is inside or how reason work anyway!

It's like gambling !!!

▓▓▓
dಠಠb
_(Θ)_

Old 2012-11-08, 16:05

We are looking to improve our GUIs to the best of our ability with the tools that have been provided by Propellerheads. VST GUIs have the ability to manipulate 2D assets, while we are using purely 3D assets to render 2D (to keep in with the lighting aspect of the rack)

We at the Lab will endeavour to improve on our current GUI to make it look high quality in the 2D rack whilst ensuring it is futureproofed for the 3D realm. This is one of the other constraints, and also why we can't hack up the 2D renders from the 3D designer

Will ask the Props to see if there are any other options available to aid with GUI quality
Old 2012-11-08, 16:24

woooow wait you talking about stuff that video game maker are using or multimedia conceptors but just a simple student in media graphic design could make a 2d thing look 3d and incredible , you can have the best RE using photoshop or gimp with out a problem , it's just that there is a need of a real artiste to make the skin of the interface wich avent been yet even for combi skins !
but if you guys are going to make your stuff the way you explain it the results will be interesting to very good but i dont think any 3d tools is needed to have a super realistic RE and the 3d is got to be use very little for that anyway !
3d tools are more for making images for press adverstisment or animations .
but if you mean you need integrated 3d tools for the RE animation that is different and woooow , but it will not happen now because of the GPU usage I guess

It's like gambling !!!

▓▓▓
dಠಠb
_(Θ)_

Old 2012-11-08, 18:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by LABONERECORDINGS View Post
We are looking to improve our GUIs to the best of our ability with the tools that have been provided by Propellerheads. VST GUIs have the ability to manipulate 2D assets, while we are using purely 3D assets to render 2D (to keep in with the lighting aspect of the rack)

We at the Lab will endeavour to improve on our current GUI to make it look high quality in the 2D rack whilst ensuring it is futureproofed for the 3D realm. This is one of the other constraints, and also why we can't hack up the 2D renders from the 3D designer

Will ask the Props to see if there are any other options available to aid with GUI quality
I actually really dig the design of the LabOne EQ, no need for improvement there in my modest opinion
Old 2012-11-08, 19:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JensenTNI View Post
I actually really dig the design of the LabOne EQ, no need for improvement there in my modest opinion
I second this (also modest) opinion - you have a nice distinctive look going AND your device sounds great. :-)
USA
Old 2012-11-08, 21:10

Thanks guys, appreciate it... wait till round 2 got a nice look coming real soon
Old 2012-11-08, 21:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by selig View Post
AND your device sounds great. :-)
AND I second this!