Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2012-11-09, 14:27

not for Reason.. maybe, you are right^^
http://www.propellerheads.se/support...on_adapted_faq

About the DSP meter in Reason 4

In Reason 4 the CPU meter (in the lower left corner of the Transport panel) has been replaced with a DSP meter. The DSP meter does not display the computer's total CPU load, but reflects the load that Reason's sound generating code puts on the CPU. The meter does not capture the extra load coming from other programs, nor does it display the load coming from Reason's user interface.
Old 2012-11-09, 14:48

I guess my point is that the DSP meter has NOTHING to do with the driver load and EVERYTHING to do with the load Reason is putting on the CPU.

Last edited by dreampolice; 2012-11-09 at 15:03.
Old 2012-11-09, 19:28

Since Theo's not here to do it, I'll point out that although DSP is related to CPU, Reason does not manage to fully utilize many current CPUs before it hits the DSP ceiling. I'm not an expert on this issue though, so I can't tell you exactly why that is, except that part of it is because Reason doesn't use hyperthreading yet.

If you really care, you might want to look back at the things Theo wrote because I think he did pretty extensive testing on it. I think he made the wrong decision about what to do after examining the issue, but he did put a lot of time into studying it first.