Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2012-11-11, 19:13

Yamaha MOTIF-Rack ES with Reason 6.5?

I was wondering if it is possible to use the Yamaha MOTIF-Rack ES with Reason 6.5?

If it's possible, what's the best way to do this?

For example, make 1 track a synth, 1 track a piano ect but have the sounds coming from the Yamaha MOTIF-Rack ES not from a virtual instrument or virtual effect.

Thanks
Old 2012-11-11, 20:20

Reason doesn't have midi-out, so you can't use Reason't sequencer to drive the Motif...however, you can play the Motif (live) and route the Motif's audio output through your audio interface and into an audio track in Reason.

HP Pavillion DV7T-3300 Laptop | i7 Q720 @ 1.6 GHz | 4GB RAM | Win7 Pro 64-bit
m-audio Axiom Pro 61 keyboard controller || iPad2 | RetouchControl DUO | TouchOSC | LoopBe30 MIDI
m-audio Mobile Pre USB (original) audio interface | ASIO4ALL || RØDE NT-3 mic
Reason 6.5.3 || Pulsar | Saturation Knob | Rough Rider | TSAR-1 | Uhbik-A | Re-Tron | Polar | Echobode | Uhbik Q | Uhbik F | Morfin XF | Uhbik S | Uhbik D | Uhbik G | CV Suite Line Processor | wbl5515 | Uhbik P | RE-2A | Radical Piano
Old 2012-11-11, 20:32

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your reply!

You mean when I'm playing the MOTIF (live) and when I record into Reason 6.5 I will have to record it as a Audio Track correct?

I'm using a Roland Quad-Capture as my Audio/MIDI Interface.

Can you guide in Reason the setup I need to do? Anything I need to set in Preferences?

Thanks
Old 2012-11-11, 21:42

Connect cable from the line out(s) out of your Motif into the input(s) of the Quad.

Make sure that the High Z switch at the back of the Roland is off (turning it on is if you plug a guitar/bass into the Roland - Input One). And start with the Sens knobs initially turned down - then set your input levels as you play.

In Preferences, under audio, slide the buffer to a lower setting (to the left), so you are not getting a delay from the time you press a key to when you actually hear what the key did.

Create Audio Track -select your inputs and record.

Have fun.
Old 2012-11-11, 22:07

Just realized that the Motif also has a digital out.
You may be able to connect that into the coaxial IN 3/4 of the Roland.
I'm not sure what you'd have to do with the Roland software though. Maybe nothing.
Give that a shot, too.

Last edited by stratatonic; 2012-11-11 at 22:10.
Old 2012-11-12, 00:01

Hi Stratatonic,

Your first method did the trick in Reason! Thank you! I'll try the second method too.

I have a 2nd question to ask, which deals with this sort of, I also got it to work in Pro Tools too, but when I record I have to record the track in a Audio Track, is there a way to record it as a MIDI track in Pro Tools so I can Quantize?

Thanks again
Old 2012-11-12, 01:03

Quote:
I have a 2nd question to ask, which deals with this sort of, I also got it to work in Pro Tools too, but when I record I have to record the track in a Audio Track, is there a way to record it as a MIDI track in Pro Tools so I can Quantize?
You may need to install a driver, but if that's all set, find the option for MIDI input devices and choose either the Roland or Motif. Then just create a MIDI track, etc.

You should be able to do the same in Reason, as recording MIDI is no problem. It just can't play MIDI back out to an instrument.
Old 2012-11-12, 01:30

Hi reasoner498,

In Pro Tools, this is what I've tried, I setup an Aux Track and a MIDI Track. When I'm playing (live) with the Axiom MIDI Controller from the Yamaha MOTIF-Rack ES I can hear sound and I can see the MIDI being recorded in Pro Tools. But when I play back the MIDI I don't hear anything.

I tried creating an Instrument Track and I get the same results.
Old 2012-11-12, 04:39

Quote:
But when I play back the MIDI I don't hear anything.
I'm guessing that both Pro Tools and the Motif are both receiving MIDI at the same time, and Pro Tools records the MIDI, while the Motif plays the audio.

So it sounds like you might need to configure MIDI back out to the Motif from Pro Tools.
Old 2012-11-12, 05:18

I've just noticed something, I haven't fixed the issue, If I create an Aux Track and a MIDI Track and If I insert a Virtual Instrument in the "INSERTS A-E" slot, in the I/O I select my MIDI controller and select the virtual instrument I can see the MIDI being recorded and I can hear the playback too.

When I do the same thing for the MOTIF-Rack ES I can hear and see the MIDI recording but during play back I don't hear anything.

It's seems because I'm leaving 'INSERTS' A-E empty? When it's empty I can see the MIDI recording and I can hear the music when I am playing live but when I play it back I don't hear anything,