Propellerhead Software
Old 2012-11-13, 19:30

Support of multitimbral Instruments

Hi Folks,

one of my wishes for the next major update of Reason is that it will support multitimbral instruments. For example: just imagine that Korg wants to develope a RE of the Wavestation or of the TRITON, or E-mu decides to release a RE version of their Samplers. Such instruments need to be multitimbral, at least from my point of view. Therefore Reason's sequencer should support multitimbral tracks (or lanes) whereof each individual track or lane corresponds to one MIDI channel of that multitimbral instruments. I guess that would be a great enhancement of Reason and a big motivation for some developers to to port their instruments to Reason. What do you think?
Old 2012-11-13, 19:33

You can add as many instances of an instrument as you want so multitimbral synths and samplers really aren't needed. It won't save any resources as each instance in a multitimbral instrument will run another virtual instance of the device anyway.
Old 2012-11-13, 19:44

Create a combinator and start by inserting an mixer. Then add synths.
Old 2012-11-13, 20:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smedberg View Post
Create a combinator and start by inserting an mixer. Then add synths.
To an extent that's true, Smed. But actually it's not quite the same thing as the OP is asking. Many soft-synths use separate MIDI channels to allow you play separate tones within them on the same note.

Take, for example, RealGuitar where a release sample can be controlled by a separate MIDI channel: you wouldn't want to create a second RealGuitar device just for that. In Reason you'd use a separate lane on the same channel for the same device, but that means only one note can be used for all sounds - so that note you're using for the release sample on lane 2 can't be used for a separate string thump sound on the same note. You'd have to have both and then automate volume for each separate type of sound to remove the thump if you don't want it! (This makes sense in my head, I'm not explaining it at all well)...

There is a case for multiple MIDI channel input for devices. I can't see it happening in Reason, mind you. But the suggestion is a valid one.

_____

Thinking more on this and trying to make it clear and bring it into a real RE world example - take ReTron: you have a device with two source sounds. To play each source separately you need two devices, each with one sound. One could argue that surely it's more efficient just to route one MIDI channel to Source A and one to Source B? Thus you'd have the ability to play two MIDI tracks in the same RE. That's the gist of the suggestion.

Then look at Predator. Surely no-one in their right mind would want more than one of those running at a time. And yet, if it supported multiple MIDI channels, you could make each oscillator receive a separate sequencer input.

I still can't see it happening in Reason, mind you. But it's a really good idea.

Last edited by JiggeryPokery; 2012-11-13 at 20:20.
Old 2012-11-13, 22:54

You got a valid point on the big cpu users like Predator indeed but as you say it's really unlikely this will make it's way into Reason. There would be too many problems like with CV. Each multi timbral instance would need it's own cv inputs etc
Old 2012-11-14, 00:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave909 View Post
There would be too many problems like with CV. Each multi timbral instance would need it's own cv inputs etc
It's own cv/gate inputs? Yeah, that wouldn't really work.

So then, one could argue (I guess that'd be me, then ) does a future RE based synth have to have a gate/note cv input? We only expect it because all the others do. But actually, introducing such possibilities and then leaving them to the device creators discretion whether to have gate/note input or multiple MIDI input would open up those design/routing/performance capabilities to Reason.

Going O/T, this notion can be extended further though. Does a synth have to have a pitch/mod wheel? If we get an X/Y controller, would you still expect pitch+mod controls? What about if you could just have a ribbon controller?
Old 2012-11-14, 01:16

I think Note/Gate CV will be needed as long as the Matrix, RPG8 and other RE´s using it are around. It´s what kinda paved the way in this. Imo a synth doesn´t need a fixed pitchwheel. The modwheel is programmable so it´s not fixed. An X/Y controller would be perfect for me so i have two ¨wheels¨ to freely assign functions to. I never ever use the pitchwheel anyway haha
Old 2012-11-14, 01:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave909 View Post
I think Note/Gate CV will be needed as long as the Matrix, RPG8 and other RE´s using it are around. It´s what kinda paved the way in this.
Yup, it's rather ingrained now in Reason users - I'd not thought about it until this thread. I just found it an interesting suggestion, even though it so unlikely to happen we might as well just say it won't!! .
Old 2012-11-14, 15:35

Yeah, it´s interesting for sure! Never thought about it before either but then i don´t have Predator and my tracks usually aren´t really big. So i can stack away on instruments. Never got a ¨processor too slow¨ message on my studio computer. When i do this might get more interesting to me too