Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Feature Suggestion Forum

Old 2012-11-14, 17:00
Banned

Can't normally use my integrated audio card!

So my simple question is, why even Audacity can use my mic & speakers simultaneously, but Reason can't?

I don't want to use that damn ASIO 4 All it's suck!

Simply make the normal support for the audio cards like any other program has, whether it'd Audition, Audacity & so on...

Cheers!
Old 2012-11-14, 17:17

Don't get it either. Tho the latency will be pretty huge recording from a standard soundcard. I also think the option should be there to use it
Old 2012-11-14, 17:17
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave909 View Post
Don't get it either. Tho the latency will be pretty huge recording from a standard soundcard. I also think the option should be there to use it
Don't have it in the Audacity!

I'm not bitching, just really want this feature!
Old 2012-11-14, 17:21

Do you use the DX driver? In Reason it has some latency. Maybe Audacity has a way to use it more efficient? Anyway, yeah would be cool to have it for sure. Asio4All sucks badly. Been using it with my previous interface and it always has loads more latency than get's reported.
Old 2012-11-14, 17:25
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave909 View Post
Do you use the DX driver? In Reason it has some latency. Maybe Audacity has a way to use it more efficient? Anyway, yeah would be cool to have it for sure. Asio4All sucks badly. Been using it with my previous interface and it always has loads more latency than get's reported.
DX in Reason, MME in Audacity, anyway hopefully Props will take it under consideration!
Old 2012-11-14, 17:28
Propellerhead

If Reason had to support inputs from primarily half-duplex, polled audio APIs such as DirectX, MME and WASAPI, it would basically have to contain an implementation of ASIO4ALL.

If Audacity can record and play back at the same time with acceptable latency, then it contains something like that.

I recommend you to use ASIO4ALL for this purpose, if you are still deciding which ASIO-capable audio interface to use.

When ASIO4ALL is used on a single audio interface driver, that is designed to run in full duplex, with the same clock for inputs and outputs, it merely does a cumbersome conversion from a such half-duplex APIs to ASIO.

(ASIO is on the contrary, a natively full-duplex, callback API)

ASIO4ALL can also combine streams that have different clocks, but that will always be destructive, and probably unstable.
Old 2012-11-14, 17:32
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jengstrom View Post
If Reason had to support inputs from primarily half-duplex, polled audio APIs such as DirectX, MME and WASAPI, it would basically have to contain an implementation of ASIO4ALL.

If Audacity can record and play back at the same time with acceptable latency, then it contains something like that.

I recommend you to use ASIO4ALL for this purpose, if you are still deciding which ASIO-capable audio interface to use.

When ASIO4ALL is used on a single audio interface driver, that is designed to run in full duplex, with the same clock for inputs and outputs, it merely does a cumbersome conversion from a such half-duplex APIs to ASIO.

(ASIO is on the contrary, a natively full-duplex, callback API)

ASIO4ALL can also combine streams that have different clocks, but that will always be destructive, and probably unstable.
So Reason will work on the full duplex only with ASIO for all, even with the external audio card?
Old 2012-11-14, 17:35
Propellerhead

Reason on Windows will only support audio inputs from ASIO.
Interfaces with native ASIO drivers work best.
Interfaces without native ASIO drivers need ASIO4ALL or equivalent wrapper program.

Support for inputs from MME, DirectX or WASAPI is not frequently requested, and is expensive to implement and maintain.
Old 2012-11-14, 17:37
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jengstrom View Post
Reason on Windows will only support audio inputs from ASIO.
Interfaces with native ASIO drivers work best.
Interfaces without native ASIO drivers need ASIO4ALL or equivalent wrapper program.

Support for inputs from MME, DirectX or WASAPI is not frequently requested, and is expensive to implement and maintain.
Oh I see, ok then we'll use it as it is! Thanks a lot for the heads up!

Regards

George
Old 2012-11-14, 17:39

Note that soft-syncing multiple audio devices is quite unstable, compromises on sound quality and generally causes more overhead for the system, even if its built in as low level as in OSX.