Propellerhead Software
Old 2012-07-17, 04:25

Re-Tron Limitations

So I can live with the 3 octaves and the 7 second sample length, I get it, that's what was sampled, let it be - but why no sustain pedal? Is this one useful function going to shatter the analog illusion?

Aside from this bit that I find heavily frustrating (I might need a minute), it sounds absolutely amazing.
Old 2012-07-17, 17:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethday View Post
So I can live with the 3 octaves and the 7 second sample length, I get it, that's what was sampled, let it be - but why no sustain pedal? Is this one useful function going to shatter the analog illusion?

Aside from this bit that I find heavily frustrating (I might need a minute), it sounds absolutely amazing.
A minute is all it takes - put the Re-Tron in a Combi, assign sustain pedal to Amp Env Release - done. :-)
USA
Old 2012-07-17, 18:24

I was hoping there might be a fix, THANKS!! I'll try it out tonight.
Old 2012-07-18, 20:40

I agree. For something where the velocities are fixed and lengths are set, I'm surprised to find inconsistencies in the samples across the board (in velocities as well as lengths)... I had mentioned the playing range as well—The answer is also a combinator. Not sure why "half-speed" can't be applied by default to the octaves below.
Old 2012-11-15, 02:33

Great, thanks!! Answered my question too!!
Old 2012-11-15, 03:37

I found the limitations frustrating and refreshing at the same time.

In the ReTron competition where I was trying to use close to 100% Re-Tron instruments, it forced me to create an overall sound I wouldn't otherwise choose to do, and the result was quite unique. Forced me out of my comfort zone!
Old 2012-11-15, 05:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethday View Post
why no sustain pedal?
All features (or lack thereof) are true to the original after which Re-Tron was modeled.

HP Pavillion DV7T-3300 Laptop | i7 Q720 @ 1.6 GHz | 4GB RAM | Win7 Pro 64-bit
m-audio Axiom Pro 61 keyboard controller || iPad2 | RetouchControl DUO | TouchOSC | LoopBe30 MIDI
m-audio Mobile Pre USB (original) audio interface | ASIO4ALL || RØDE NT-3 mic
Reason 6.5.3 || Pulsar | Saturation Knob | Rough Rider | TSAR-1 | Uhbik-A | Re-Tron | Polar | Echobode | Uhbik Q | Uhbik F | Morfin XF | Uhbik S | Uhbik D | Uhbik G | CV Suite Line Processor | wbl5515 | Uhbik P | RE-2A | Radical Piano
Old 2012-11-15, 07:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDiverse View Post
All features (or lack thereof) are true to the original after which Re-Tron was modeled.
I get that, and with Selig's advice it's no longer an issue. I was trying to say that they added all kinds of options that the original never had: LFOs, envelopes, delay - even pitch bend with a midi controller, but they stayed true when it came to no sustain pedal, which seemed like a simple, valuable update. I love it, though.
Old 2012-11-15, 08:05

I still am confused why "half-speed" can't be applied to the octaves below to have a larger playing range. I think there's a fine line between making an accurate representation and taking advantage of simple capabilities of software to make something more effective. For me, not having the playing range was big downside.