Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Feature Suggestion Forum

Old 2012-11-15, 07:56

Lightbulb Dealing with faulty gear live

Ok. So I understand the OP's concern. Getting up on stage to perform when you know your equipment could stop working without warning, can cause great anxiety. Add that to the anxiety some folks have of using a laptop for live... and the general anxiety performers have (especially new performers).

Nobody's here's getting "punished"
Propellerheads are just protecting their revenue stream. They'd been quite lax for a long time. But after investing 6-7 years developing and expanding what we see on our screens now, how could they possibly afford to continue as such?
If you're a new user, you'll be very glad to find out they will take very good care of you should anything go wrong.

Now. On to the issue at hand... Consider this:

Be prepared with a backup plan. Tube amps blow up from time to time, and as frustrating as it is, you just have to deal with it. I know many players who have a junker amp buried in their trunk for such emergencies. Wireless systems can run out of batteries, strings break, cables short out. How many professionals don't keep spares in their cases? Using a laptop and software commands just as much preparedness as any other instrument.

I used to keep a Yamaha CS6r rack in my live rig with a close(ish) copy of all the sounds that came from software. Then, we had an MP3 player with backing track versions of loops & FX. Click on the left for the drummer, and tracks on the right. If there was a disaster... two button pushes away there was a safety net.

Solutions for you:

If you're going to be doing this often, why not consider buying a second copy. Wouldn't a $399 investment in securing your earning potential be worth it? I'm not sure at what professional capacity you're playing at, but even at modest earnings from gigs, you could cover your investment in a few nights of playing out. Yes it adds to the cost of being a musician... but as mentioned above, you too will need to "protect your revenue stream."

Or. Buy a copy of Reason Essentials for $99. Do a basic resampling of your instruments so you can play them from the NNXT. In the event of emergency, you can use a very close approximation of your original sounds... Does your live sound have to be exactly the same as your studio sound?

Virtual Machine. You could launch Reason in a virtual machine (a la VMWare or Parallels), activate Reason via the online meathod, and freeze the state of that virtual machine. Therefore, in the event of disaster, you can instantiate that virtual machine with Reason already loaded and authorized. Not optimal, but it can get you through the gig.

Tether your laptop to your phone, and download the licenses. So what if you have to spend $5 on data roaming? Sometimes you just have to spend money to make money. Sometimes the cab ride is $10, sometimes traffic makes it cost $15. Suck it up.

So bascially, just be prepared... Roll with the punches. Suck it up if something goes wrong.
Worst case scenario, you have to cancel a gig. (It's not like getting sick, poor weather, a double booking, getting in an accident, travel arrangements failure, or the club having an equipment failure can't cancel a gig for you!)
Old 2012-11-15, 08:07

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesmiles View Post
Ok. etc.......
Great post!
Old 2012-11-15, 08:10

jamesmiles - I want to say kudos to you for a well written, to-the-point, covering-all-the-bases and a very logical post on the subject. Your experience in the live arena shows. I don’t perform live and I use a desktop setup in my studio; but if I ever do perform live, I will take your advice to heart.

Welcome to the forums.
Old 2012-11-15, 08:26

Thanks guys. A welcome response for a first post after lurking and reading for years!
Old 2012-11-15, 08:27

I know a full-time gigging muso on another forum, using another set of apps, who performs with two identically-configured IBM laptops. If one fails he can be up with the second in minutes. This has happened to him a handful of times in something like ten years. He replaces the laptops if they fail completely or if they will no longer run the necessary programs. This is usually a period of years.

So, to the OP, to reiterate jamesmiles's central thought, if you really are serious about this, meaning that you are a full-time gigging musician whose income depends on it, having two identical setups, including software and dongles, should make sense. If you're not full time I would think about hardware solutions such as synthesizers and sequencers and/or CD/MP3 players to accomplish what you are doing now. More expensive in the short term, but much more reliable. Just a thought.
Zotac/Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 2 Gb, NZXT H2 "Silent" case w/liquid cooling
Presonus AudioBox USB, Behringer B2031A, JBL PSW D110 sub

Kennesaw (Atlanta), Georgia, USA
Old 2012-11-15, 08:39

Everyone that have been on the stage playing live knows that when you think you have it all covered, and nothing can go wrong.
You all of a sudden gets proved wrong...

Maybe we should start a thread with all stuff that have happened during gigs?
Old 2012-11-15, 09:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryszard View Post
If you're not full time I would think about hardware solutions such as synthesizers and sequencers and/or CD/MP3 players to accomplish what you are doing now. More expensive in the short term, but much more reliable. Just a thought.
Can you actually have two functioning Reason dongles? I didn't think so.?
Old 2012-11-15, 09:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by JensenTNI View Post
Can you actually have two functioning Reason dongles? I didn't think so.?
Yep.
If you buy two licenses, you can have two dongles.
Old 2012-11-15, 13:14

One thing I will say is when using a line 6 interface more dialog boxes come up than desirble. They also fixed that download license dialog box which was equally as frustrating.

I cant really blame or shout at the props for this but starting up reason , going from click and go to click , choose, wait ,read, close, read, close was kinda tedious.
Old 2012-11-15, 13:20
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTTOY View Post
Hello, as a long term fan and professional producer I have to recommend a way to keep your clients happy and able to use your software flexible and easy. It makes me very sad at this point that it looks like I have to find another way of building my live/concert setup but it seems there´s no other way.
The Ignition key is simply not trustful and I can´t risk to mess up my show just because my bought licenses for RE´s are suddenly not found anymore.. These issues appeared several times now and it´s quite outragous to ask for an internet connection everywhere you go..
I use two computers and on both I could make it work of course but those issues happen again. I don´t want to go through the nightmare before a concert, find a wifi and re-download stuff I bought already..
Do you understand that this is punishment for your clients and makes an easy workflow impossible ?

My suggestions:
1. Find a way to solve Dongle license issues or simply get rid of it. (The pirates won´t be stopped by it anyway)
2. Allow 2 Dongles if "holy Ignition" is needed.. One for studio and one for the road.
3. Don´t try to make Reason the all in one solution for the studio.. It is a very great Rewire unit which works nice and flexible.. Don´t try to make it a Pro Tools for low budget.. It doesn´t suit it..

Thank you, I hope those issues will disappear, otherwise I gotta find me another solution.
Best, a fan truly
TTT
Relax, already solved: https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/...d.php?t=162479