Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Feature Suggestion Forum

Old 2012-11-15, 17:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by something View Post
Not everyone uses Focusrite soundcards.
Besides that i don't plan to buy another soundcard every 12 months.
If i think of sampling in Reason i assume it's software based.

If this would be fixed in Reason then you can sample regardless which soundcard you use.
So you are left with the two options you know about

1. Soundflower/JackAudio - as has already been mentioned

2. External audio cable - which you have used.

If there is software available to do this already (see point 1 above), it doesn't make any sense for Props to re-invent the wheel, when they could be spending their time and resources adding features that would appeal to a wider audience.

On the other hand, maybe they haven't implemented this feature because they don't want to, or maybe to try and stop people using their software to rip stuff off of you-tube or other streaming sites - trying to reduce piracy in their own way? - I don't know.

Anyway,if they make it - you can have it, but until then you have a working solution. You also have an alternative method - which seems much more practical to me.

Last edited by Arsenic; 2012-11-15 at 17:36. Reason: Edited for clarity
Old 2012-11-15, 18:26

Something, resampling like this could prove handy in a number of circumstances. I know I have used this type of internal resampling, and as others have suggested, with the help of Sound Flower.

This feature doesn't exist in Reason presently, not due to the software, but due to functionality on your audio interface.

Reason using an ASIO device communicated directly with the audio interfaces input stages for recording, and output stages for playing back. The ASIO driver type is quite superior for DAW software as Windows doesn't bog down the audio stream, causing inconvenient amounts of latency.

The software you have suggested is not using an ASIO driver, but an MME or DirectX driver. As it's using this driver type, all audio is passing through the Windows environment allowing the software to "tap off" the signal destined for the audio outputs. It cannot however function in duplex (audio input, and output simultaneously)

Implementing such a feature would require Reason to actively use multiple audio interfaces, via different driver types simultaneously. A very challenging proposition! This would have high CPU usage costs, and introduce issues with syncronization, and dealing with audio interaces that may operate at different sample rates.

As for other DAW's that can do this. Sequoia is the only DAW I'm aware of that can use two audio devices. Even then, the audio interface would need a loop-back feature to do what you're suggesting in Sequoia. I know mastering engineers who use two audio interfaces with Sequoia to do (almost) what you're doing (Less for sampling, more for sample-rate conversion and playing back through analogue equipment and capturing at a different sample-rate than the playback)

Some interface manufacturers have identified, and responded to the need for accomplishing what you're trying to do. Focusrite have this loopback feature in their Scarlet 8i6. RME have this feature in their devices with the TotalMix internal DSP. Metric Halo audio interfaces can loopback through their onboard mixer also. Lastly, many onboard cheap soundcards such as SoundBlasters have this ability (although it often isn't marketed, or identified as usable in this way). Perhaps you can trade in your Scarlett 2i2, and upgrade to the 8i6?

Depending on your computers internal audio interface, if you're a Windows user you may be able to accomplish this. Try switching your audio device to your internal soundcard. Check if one of the available inputs is called "Mixer" If it is... you're in luck. If not, you may have to do some more tinkering, or it may not be possible.

If you accomplish this, you'll probably find that it is equally as disruptive to workflow as using some virtual sound card software such as Jack or Soundflower. And that just wiring the analog out of your internal sound card to the inputs on your Scarlet 2i2 is the quickest and most fluid way of accomplishing what you're trying to do. And what's the worst thing that could happen if the audio get converted back to analogue for a few seconds? Especially when it will save you several minutes.

Hope you find this clears up why we don't see this in almost every DAW. And helpful to increase your productivity.
Old 2012-11-15, 19:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesmiles View Post
Some interface manufacturers have identified, and responded to the need for accomplishing what you're trying to do. Focusrite have this loopback feature in their Scarlet 8i6. RME have this feature in their devices with the TotalMix internal DSP. Metric Halo audio interfaces can loopback through their onboard mixer also. Lastly, many onboard cheap soundcards such as SoundBlasters have this ability (although it often isn't marketed, or identified as usable in this way). Perhaps you can trade in your Scarlett 2i2, and upgrade to the 8i6?
I knew about the Sound-blaster cards, but I didn't know about the others...My comment about him asking Focusrite, was more to do with him implying that it is Props job to fix it.

Anyway - great post.
Old 2012-11-15, 22:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub08 View Post
Noone is missing the point of your thread. You are missing the point of the replies, I think?

No other DAW does this as far as I know. Please enlighten us if you have an example.

And you keep saying "sample what's going THRU the sound card"
What it does is sample what is plugged "IN the soundcard"
That is all that is claimed or expected of it and it works great.

Just curious what exactly were you trying to sample, YouTube song?
It doesn't matter what i'm trying to sample, generally it should sample everything that comes trough the soundcard.
If you don't understand that, what i am saying is that whatever you play on your computer that produces sound (in your webbrowser, mediaplayer, skype conversation, whatever).

If you have read the whole thread i already said that i don't know if other DAW software does this.
Probably in your opinion is that if no other DAW has this then Reason shouldn't have it either.

Fact is, a $25 software is able to do this while a $450 software is not.
Old 2012-11-15, 22:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenic View Post
So you are left with the two options you know about

1. Soundflower/JackAudio - as has already been mentioned

2. External audio cable - which you have used.

If there is software available to do this already (see point 1 above), it doesn't make any sense for Props to re-invent the wheel, when they could be spending their time and resources adding features that would appeal to a wider audience.

On the other hand, maybe they haven't implemented this feature because they don't want to, or maybe to try and stop people using their software to rip stuff off of you-tube or other streaming sites - trying to reduce piracy in their own way? - I don't know.

Anyway,if they make it - you can have it, but until then you have a working solution. You also have an alternative method - which seems much more practical to me.
As said i already fixed this by using a cable, but this is a feature request so i ask Propellerhead to fix this.
Old 2012-11-15, 22:22

@jamesmiles

Quote:
This feature doesn't exist in Reason presently, not due to the software, but due to functionality on your audio interface.
It's not about a soundcard, it's about Reason.
Reason lack this way of sampling.

Check this http://www.fairstars.com/recorder/

No special soundcard needed.
Any sound that goes to your computer can be recorded.
$25 vs $450
Old 2012-11-15, 23:35

Quote:
Fact is, a $25 software is able to do this while a $450 software is not.
You are really missing the point - This 25$ piece of software was DESIGNED to do that. Reason was not - it's not about the price it is about what was intended in the first place.

If this piece of cheap software can do what you want - go and use it.

Quote:
As said i already fixed this by using a cable, but this is a feature request so i ask Propellerhead to fix this.
How can they fix something that isn't broken - What you are trying to do hasn't been implemented - They can't fix what isn't there....

As I said - there is already a perfectly good solution to this - for some reason you refuse to accept that fact...Looking back at your other posts and threads, is there some fundamental reason that you won't use the other method? Is it because you don't understand what to do - Even though Bonez explained it to you. It's starting to look like you can't be bothered to set it up, so you resort to asking Props to program a custom solution for you.

Good grief...you just seem incapable of taking advice from people who have taken the time and trouble to try and help you.

All I can say is "good luck with this one"

EDIT: I know I am not doing myself any favours here, and I know I am going to regret this, but.....

Quote:
..generally it should sample everything that comes trough the soundcard...
Why should it?

Quote:
It doesn't matter what i'm trying to sample....
In the word of Lunesis "Hmmm! No comment"

Last edited by Arsenic; 2012-11-15 at 23:48. Reason: Curiosity
Old 2012-11-16, 00:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenic View Post
You are really missing the point - This 25$ piece of software was DESIGNED to do that. Reason was not - it's not about the price it is about what was intended in the first place.

If this piece of cheap software can do what you want - go and use it.

How can they fix something that isn't broken - What you are trying to do hasn't been implemented - They can't fix what isn't there....

As I said - there is already a perfectly good solution to this - for some reason you refuse to accept that fact...Looking back at your other posts and threads, is there some fundamental reason that you won't use the other method? Is it because you don't understand what to do - Even though Bonez explained it to you. It's starting to look like you can't be bothered to set it up, so you resort to asking Props to program a custom solution for you.

Good grief...you just seem incapable of taking advice from people who have taken the time and trouble to try and help you.

All I can say is "good luck with this one"

EDIT: I know I am not doing myself any favours here, and I know I am going to regret this, but.....

Why should it?

In the word of Lunesis "Hmmm! No comment"
It seems that most people who reply are not actually into sampling and do not need it in the future as well.
I don't understand why i only see negative comments regarding this feature request.

I see the people who replied to this are all against such a feature/fix so let's forget this feature request although i keep finding it a real shortcoming that Reason can't sample anything from soundcard.

This is my very last post i make in this thread, as i won't make it my daytime job to reply on tons of negative comments that won't make a feature request any further.

All the best.