Propellerhead Software
Old 2012-11-15, 23:25

Help please

I am building my studio, the next thing I want to work on is picking the correct sound modules for a rack, using reason, record, protools, mostly record vocals and produce for hip hop r and b and gospel, which 3 or 4 modules do u suggest to build decent rack at a budget?
Old 2012-11-16, 00:34

Are you talking about modules (RE's) for Reason or do you hardware modules for your studio? Outside of a quality sound card, speakers and computer etc, I'm not too sure that you'll find a lot of hardware suggestions around here as we're all into our virtual racks!

I've had a pile of outboard gear in the past and realized that outside of visual appeal for clients, these days hardware gear is becoming obsolete for many of us.

I have a buddy who buys cheap/useless rack mountable gear to pin up in his studio so that when unknowing clients walk in, they think all the gear must mean he's hardcore! Meanwhile he's 99% in the box.

If you want to make hiphop, even without a major investment in RE's, you can get going on the modules that come standard with Reason. the KONG drum module with a decent MIDI controller is more than you need in many cases. Neptune works great on vocals if you want that T-Pain sounds, Subtractor has a wicked bass patch called "sub bass" as well as one called "chronic bass" if you want good starting points.

Let us know what you decide.
Old 2012-11-16, 01:12

referring to hardware modules for your studio, not for home studio
Old 2012-11-16, 09:41

Have you taken your room's acoustics into account? This is a very important factor that many begginers overlook whenever they're building a "project studio". I think this is one of the most important factor whenever putting a "project studio" together. If you don't do any type of acoustical treatment it may be very difficult to get your mixes to "translate" outside of your studio (unless you take the time to "learn" your speakers", or use reference mixes you are very familiar with).
Getting your bass levels right will be very hard without any sort of bass trapping. Try this out, play a deep bass tone and walk around your studio. You will notice that in some spots your bass level will increase and in others it will decrease, this is due to standing waves. Are you familiar with standing waves (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5FhUcObFTo) or room modes? This is something you should look up if your putting a studio together.
I don't care how expensive your monitoring system is, if you don't have any acoustical treatment your going to have a hard time getting your mixes to "translate" well (again unless you take the time to "learn" your speakers or use a reference mix). At least take care of your first reflection points. This will help you with setting reverb levels. Also if you don't do any treatment and your recording anything through a microphone you'll hear it alot once you start compressing the audio.
Also don't do like I see alot of begginers doing (on youtube) and record vocals in a small enclosed space (like a closet)unless it's treated very very very well. This is the worst thing you can do for vocals. You'll end up getting a very boxy, hollow sound that'll even get worse once you start compressing your vocals.
I actually record vocals in my control room (because it's not that large of a "project studio", the size of an average bedroom) with my self and the artist wearing headphones (with the speakers off of course).
Also place your speakers so that they are playing audio down the longest dimensions of your room. For example, if your room was 10'x 16' have the speakers facing down the 16'. Bass frequencies are longer and require more space to develope.
There's allot of websites you can look up for DIY acoustical treatment options that work (unlike egg crate foam or something similar). They mostly consist of rigid fiberglass panels (owens corning being the most noted) covered with fabric and hung up on the walls. There are also some website that you can look up that can help you with finding out the best placement for your studio monitors.
Trust me I'm someone who took almost 10 years to do any acoustical treatment ( I ended up investing about 400$ in DIY treatment which came out great.), believe me when I say it's one of the most important factors. I wish I would've done it the first year I started making music. I'd rather mix on 200$ studio monitors in an acoustical treated room than mix on a 1000$ pair of monitors without any acoustical treatment. Same things goes for microphones.
Probably not what you wanted to hear (because your post was about what rack gear you should buy) but I felt that you should know.