Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Feature Suggestion Forum

Old 2012-11-15, 19:12

+1 on "Randomize Patch" suggestion for Subtractor, Maelstrom, Thor, etc. Love this feature on most synths that have it. Great way to get to something out of the ordinary, or a variation.
I especially like a "Randomize Patch" feature with a % deviation setting... Like randomize all parameters up to 10% or 20% away from their current settings.

I too have WAAAAY too many samples, and would love a load randomly selected samples from a folder into a Kong.

Or... how about this way: "Audition next sample on next MIDI note" This way you just keep bashing the one key/pad while Reason goes down the list one at a time.

<Hit> "Thump"
<Hit> "Ooomph"
<Hit> "Thunk"
<Hit> "Thud" ..... yeah... that's the one..

(or it could be a MIDI assignable button on the device... kinda like the little down arrow in the redrum... but MIDI mappable)
Old 2012-11-16, 22:41

Shortcut pallet. I've been thinking more about this. In some of my other posts with feature suggestions, I had suggested having the ability to save "shortcuts" that point to the actual sound file, even if it was in a Refill. Then I could group all the shortcuts together in a folder of sounds I like.
Although the file browser does a somewhat decent job of playing the sound when you click on a file name, I think it's still too slow.
Exploring sounds, trying to decide which sound we like best, is consuming A LOT of time. So I have this idea of creating a special window where each of my sound shortcuts is shown as a colored dot, so I'd see a bunch of polka dots, and just by hovering my mouse over a dot, its sound would become active. I think that would save me a lot of time. And the file browser can only show alphabetic order, whereas I'd like to be able to move the dots around so I can visually group things that sound similar, and establish a ranking of how I like them, and so forth.
Old 2012-11-17, 00:31

Love that idéa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I alsoe got inspired about what you wrote

I love working with samples and sometime i wish there where some kind of monster-mixing-chubbing machine.. For example i put in a Wav file and ´make a few arrangment and then press ok. Then it totaly smash it around like a mixer in the kitchen. I can chose how many samples and how long they will be.. 1-500 1 sec etc.. If they shall be swaped around or putted in difrent numbers depending on how the specifiki wave look like.

I woud call that machine Drunk-Superman Hahahaha.

example:
(123456789.wav)------Drunk-superman---------- (675849312.wav) or .wav 7.wav 5.wav 8.wav 4.wav 9.wav 3.wav
Old 2013-05-19, 01:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesmiles View Post
+1 on "Randomize Patch" suggestion for Subtractor, Maelstrom, Thor, etc. Love this feature on most synths that have it. Great way to get to something out of the ordinary, or a variation.
I especially like a "Randomize Patch" feature with a % deviation setting... Like randomize all parameters up to 10% or 20% away from their current settings.

I too have WAAAAY too many samples, and would love a load randomly selected samples from a folder into a Kong.

Or... how about this way: "Audition next sample on next MIDI note" This way you just keep bashing the one key/pad while Reason goes down the list one at a time.

<Hit> "Thump"
<Hit> "Ooomph"
<Hit> "Thunk"
<Hit> "Thud" ..... yeah... that's the one..

(or it could be a MIDI assignable button on the device... kinda like the little down arrow in the redrum... but MIDI mappable)
Hey jamesmiles,

Sorry about the delay in responding.

Thanks for the feedback and your suggestion. I like the audition idea of yours. It sounds a bit like what I do with Windows Media Player when I want to hear a bunch of samples in a folder. I highlight the contents of the folder and then open them all at once in WMP. It then plays each one in turn and I watch it go down the list and I make a note of the ones I prefer for future use.

The good old Yamaha DD-5 drum unit has a green button called PAD ASSIGN. You keep it pressed down whilst hitting the pad you want to change. Every second hit will change the sample/midi note it is mapped to until you find the one you want.

There's more info about the DD-5 here:

All the best

Neil
Old 2013-05-19, 01:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenha View Post
Shortcut pallet. I've been thinking more about this. In some of my other posts with feature suggestions, I had suggested having the ability to save "shortcuts" that point to the actual sound file, even if it was in a Refill. Then I could group all the shortcuts together in a folder of sounds I like.
Although the file browser does a somewhat decent job of playing the sound when you click on a file name, I think it's still too slow.
Exploring sounds, trying to decide which sound we like best, is consuming A LOT of time. So I have this idea of creating a special window where each of my sound shortcuts is shown as a colored dot, so I'd see a bunch of polka dots, and just by hovering my mouse over a dot, its sound would become active. I think that would save me a lot of time. And the file browser can only show alphabetic order, whereas I'd like to be able to move the dots around so I can visually group things that sound similar, and establish a ranking of how I like them, and so forth.
Hey stevenha

Sorry about the delay in responding - That shortcut idea sounds pretty cool.

One of the few things that annoys me about Reason is slow loading times. Admittedly, this is probably because the machine I am using is about 4 years old and I have a ridiculus amount of refills sitting in a working folder I use on my C drive.

I found when I moved most of them over to an external drive, I got the loading times down to a reasonable level again.

But as I added more and more refills back onto my C drive (as I tend to do over time) , Reason got slower and it took longer and longer to retrieve patches.

There's probably an optimal way of doing this - but I think there is something of a fundamental problem with the data as it is currently.

The fixed, unbreakable, unzippable refill.

If you could "explode" the refills, you could just create brand new ones for your own use - maybe even one per project - purely based on the sounds you like and discard the rest.

That would save a lot of searching through stuff in the refill you are NEVER gonna use.

It's all a trade off between whether we are people making music or obsessive refill and sample collectors.

You could just say: My next project will only use Factory Sound Library Sounds.

You could create songs as projects and make the samples self contained.

I hate getting that message when you have moved your samples and Reason cant find them to put into the patch you just loaded.

Here's another suggestion:

The Props build something like the Zen database.

It scans your entire Reason library and groups stuff by instrument and by patch.

You click a patch, and it plays. Job Done. You can filter for say, Malstroms, then Basses and so on.

Or you can just say - show me all the bass sounds. And it does.

Or pick all the patches with the word "filter_sweep" or "arp" in them

You can also rate the patches -

Actually, I almost forgot. Zen's database is online, which means you can download patches directly from its creator BigTickAudio.. So you get users patches created by the community added to it as well, as well as the ones you already have refills for. And they even have a community rating, too.

There's is some blurb about Zen here:

NB - it will not work with Reason at all - unless you Rewire it with another DAW like Reaper or Mixcraft.

I think it's pretty cool though. If it did work in Reason, I'd use it.

Cheers

Neil

Last edited by redronnie1963; 2013-05-19 at 02:05.
Old 2013-05-19, 02:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMRosta View Post
Love that idéa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I alsoe got inspired about what you wrote

I love working with samples and sometime i wish there where some kind of monster-mixing-chubbing machine.. For example i put in a Wav file and ´make a few arrangment and then press ok. Then it totaly smash it around like a mixer in the kitchen. I can chose how many samples and how long they will be.. 1-500 1 sec etc.. If they shall be swaped around or putted in difrent numbers depending on how the specifiki wave look like.

I woud call that machine Drunk-Superman Hahahaha.

example:
(123456789.wav)------Drunk-superman---------- (675849312.wav) or .wav 7.wav 5.wav 8.wav 4.wav 9.wav 3.wav
Hey NMRosta!

Just been listening to some of your sounds on SoundCloud. Very cool!

I haven't tried it out yet but I think Reason 7's new Rex loop creation feature should allow you to do this - by importing a bunch of wavs (or rex files) one after the other into the sequencer, joining them together and making a massive rex file out of them - Then I expect you can copy the whole new loop to track and randomize the slices in midi. And copy the midi to additional lanes and create random variations of the original.
I want to have a go at that now!

Have you seen a VST device called Glitch? It mashes up samples and mangles rex loops pretty good. Not sure if you can still get Glitch 1 (I got mine from the Computer Music Special #44 100 Plug-ins Disc) but Glitch2 is now out as a commerical VST. It will therefore only work with Reason via Rewire from inside another DAW like Reaper or Mixcraft.

There's another free VST one call Manic by DeLaMancha which randomises individual samples to create random drum beats which is pretty good fun. It's similar to what you can do with separate PDT2 rack extensions added to each voice on Redrum or Kong.

And its even cooler to use them both together.

I think the Rack Extension Buffre by Peff mangles stuff too!

I'm listening to LIFE and SHADOW CONFESSION as I write this. Very Nice synth ARP sounds.

Absolutely LURVE your string sounds, by the way. Or they your own patch sounds, or Factory Sound Bank?

They sound very Pink Floyd/ JP Jarre

I definitely need to use more strings! Less Cowbell!

Cheers

Neil

Last edited by redronnie1963; 2013-05-19 at 02:39.