Propellerhead Software
Old 2012-11-18, 23:57

Custom Cable colors

Routing can get quite complex and the back of the rack a spider web that's hard to read visually. Yes, there are tooltips, and "Scroll to connected" and of course "Reduce cable clutter", so it's not completely unusable. But I think it would help even more if you could assign a custom color to a cable you've selected. Perhaps there would be a pattern of stripes to distinguish CV from Audio, since with custom colors, they'd no longer be distinguished by color. Following the color would make it much easer to see the routing at a glance.
Old 2012-11-19, 00:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianDrake View Post
Routing can get quite complex and the back of the rack a spider web that's hard to read visually. Yes, there are tooltips, and "Scroll to connected" and of course "Reduce cable clutter", so it's not completely unusable. But I think it would help even more if you could assign a custom color to a cable you've selected. Perhaps there would be a pattern of stripes to distinguish CV from Audio, since with custom colors, they'd no longer be distinguished by color. Following the color would make it much easer to see the routing at a glance.
I like this idea a lot, it goes perfectly with increasing the color spectrum you can use for tracks and mixer channels, we need a lot more colors, i'm always having to split types of devices in groups of colors, while i don't want this. So yes, to this idea, add mixer groups and more colors for channels and sequencer lanes
Old 2012-11-19, 01:26

Old 2012-11-19, 01:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayorMcCheese View Post
That's a bit out of date, now that we have White RE cables as well

User-selectable colours schemes seems to go against the PH ethos - we should have had user clip-colours long, long ago. The issue with doing it for cables though could well be consistency: if people start colouring cables there is always the possibility of confusing users seeing different colours in guides and videos than they have on the own racks (whether it's the content creator doing the recolouring or the user). It's a small, almost pedantic point, but one worth considering.

That said, there are definitely some situations where I'd would adjust the colour to highlight a particular route if such a feature existed.

What I'd really like to "see" is additional "hide cable" features. For example, sometimes I'd like to still see a selected cable, or a selected devices cabling, but totally hide everything else: currently you can hide everything, or fade everything except selected device, which imo can still leave the view impenetrably cluttered. Even reducing the amount of fade applied to cables in that mode would help - atm it's really not enough.
Old 2012-11-19, 02:01

That's why I mentioned a striping system. Perhaps the cable color stays stock, but there are stripes on it that can be colored.

Or, another option is to not have custom colors, but have a "selected routing path" option where you can select cables and add them to the "selection" so that they are all highlighted in some way. You can then clear that selection as well.
Old 2012-11-19, 09:37

I'm color blind!
extreme weakness of red-green...
very good idea!
until today, I was not aware, these are different colors.

i would like to have Blue, Yellow, Black and White please!