Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Feature Suggestion Forum

Old 2011-05-05, 21:31

Definitely agree with Props needing to create a better browser, an integrated browser. Live and Logic are masters at making this available in their systems. I know Props don't want to be shown up on something so small to fix and integrate. So I will stick with Live for creation and Record for editing and mixing. Sucks that Record can't be the main DAW.
Old 2011-05-06, 07:48

Totaly agree, please propellerhead update....
Old 2011-05-06, 13:53

Can we all be clear that the OPs' proposal here is for a workspace browser.

Everyone wants a new browser: the current system has failed and failed miserably. It takes me at least 30 seconds to even get the browser open sometimes, and I'm running off an SSD. Try to open a ReFill and it takes another 10-20 seconds to think about it.

Fixing the browser is perhaps the most important topic that needs fixing in RRD, and is not something to be taken lightly: those above who have stated simply "I want a new browser/I agree" need to clarify if they are supporting the OPs proposal here.

Now, I'm gonna support it, with a caveat.

Workspace browsers take up vast tracts of screenspace, so there would need to be a simple way to bring it up and turn it off - and not in a seperate window, cos those are a FPITA. Maybe a rack expansion on the R-hand side? (So Reason becomes, in effect, 2 racks wide; in Record it becomes the far-right - er, that sounds wrong - the most right-handed rack.)

In the early stages of song creation, I actually think a workspace browser would really, really speed up workflow, provided that all the current browser crawl bugs are squished mercilessly to death.
Old 2011-05-06, 16:35

True, the current browser is extremely slow. Often when I'm just going through samples, it takes ages to load. There's also no catagory systems for refills! I can't think of one other hardware synth or modern soft synth without an actual patch browser.
Old 2011-05-06, 16:35

I'm thinking it could just be another tab on the floating palette.

The main thing I want from a browser, at least on the Mac, is to use Spotlight indexing. It's kind of silly that I can use Spotlight's ultra-optimized search to search through the full text of my *entire hard drive* in less time than it takes Record to find a patch in my refills folder!
Old 2011-05-06, 17:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldframe View Post
I'm thinking it could just be another tab on the floating palette.

The main thing I want from a browser, at least on the Mac, is to use Spotlight indexing. It's kind of silly that I can use Spotlight's ultra-optimized search to search through the full text of my *entire hard drive* in less time than it takes Record to find a patch in my refills folder!
Anything in a floating window just means moving things around and/or resizing shit, it's bad enough now with the FP and three screen of Record to work through. At least the FP is fairly small as it is now.

But yes, some kind of proper extra-efficient caching is needed.

Oh, and some kind of global "all the stuff you need is located in This Folder.... Please don't ask me to manually search for at least one ReFill each and every time I move a track from the laptop to the desktop and back, even though the file locations are exactly the same on both!" - tick-box.
Old 2012-09-15, 13:15

Agreed... when I search for a new sound or loop, I don't want to be "locked" in the browser...

a "floating" browser (like when u press F8 f.ex.) would simplify a whole lot! While never having to leave the "main window" and just click-drag-n-drop/pick/choose from a "browser window" that floats freely (or maybe can be dock-able as well).
Old 2012-09-15, 15:21

ABSOLUTELY. The sample browser needs a complete rehaul. Needs faster loading times. Also the sample browser needs DRAG AND DROP so I dont have to keep on going back and forth. My patience with piecing together drum tacks in reason lately, is being tested, to the point where I am getting frustrated. It should not take this long to throw a bunch of samples together and make a beat. Sometimes you need two separate kicks, two separate snares, a high hat, percs, two different open hihats, cymbals, turntable scratches, etc. Not to mention going through and finding stab samples to throw into NNXT. It should not take two hours to dig through your library and put these samples on one track. It should be wham-bam-thankyou maam.

Reason 7, brand new sample browser. Make it happen.
Old 2012-11-20, 02:45

I find it strange that if Reason knows a sample is missing from some specific refill (the name is always shown in "Part of ReFill/R.E. entry"), why doesn't the "Search folder..." first try to find the missing samples from the actual refill instead of scanning the whole directory.

Caching, indexing or something similar could be easily done with installed ReFills for faster searching & should have been implemented years ago.
Old 2012-11-20, 09:40

it must be faster!!!!!

much faster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!