Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2012-11-20, 20:58
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudelab21 View Post
It's funny how Subtractor itself and a Sawtooth comments on this thread...lol Didn't know they can talk...lol
Even more, they can trollk!
Old 2012-11-20, 21:04

You can always get rid of them easily though. You can always disconnect Subtractor's "MONO" cable. For Sawtooth, you can always drown him with frequencies...lol JK guys! Hahahahah
Old 2012-11-20, 21:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagana33 View Post
When I create a SubTractor, the signal that comes out of it is mono. There's only one cable going to the mixer.

So how come I hear the sound on both speakers?
I'm not sure what your problem is. Subtractor is mono, that's true. It has no effect devices (like Thor for example) and it's not possible to route a modulator for panning (also like Thor). So it's really sufficient that Subtractor provides just a single mono output. There's just one cable going to the mixer and Reason is smart enough to recognize that a mono signal should be panned to the center. So, normally Subtractor should sound of both speakers. If not, there's either an issue with your routing or another problem. Mine does sound of both speakers anyway.
• MacBook Pro 15'' 2.6 GHz i7 • M-Audio Ozone • Akai EWI USB • Korg nanoSeries • Re-Tron • Predator-RE • Antidote • Bitspeek • Pulsar • Saturation Knob • Echobode • Uhbik A, D, G, P • Polar • Flower Audio Loudness Meter • Shelob • Mordred • PDT2 • Volt CB-1 • Volt SH-1 • Ozone Maximizer • Yoko • Glitch • ReVolt • CV Tuner • CV Suite Line Mixer • CV Suite Line Processor • PCV • RPDistort • Morfin XF Crossfader • Viking • Anansi • Itsy • Stereo Splitter • G8 Gate • Divisor • Polysix • PX7 • Audio To CV • Truth • AutoArp • A-100 Series • WBL5515 • Neutron • Measure • Distributor • Now • Later • Lolth • Volt SL-1 • Charlotte • 4 Phase LFO • Directre • Wbl3001 • Scope Jr • DCAM EnvShaper • BZR-1 • Little LFO • RP-Verb • Equation Bundle • Mingler • Noxious • One-note stand • MonoPoly • Revival • Tick Tick • Randrome Bundle • AutoTheory • CV-8 • Tres • C1-L1 • Red Queen • Parametrix • Parsec • RE 200 • CV Mutant • Ammo 1200BR • Vermilion • PlayGate • TableOscillator • Snakebite • AdditiveOscillator • Module Maker Bundle • EDS06s • Crapre • Synchronous •
Loading SoundCloud…
Old 2012-11-21, 01:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdexta2k View Post
Mono sound isn't meant to just come out of one side, its just that the left and right side will be EXACTLY the same, the LEFT/MONO input is duplicated in both channels LEFT & RIGHT.
There are times when this is beneficial (bass, lower frequency sounds to stop phase cancellation).
Agreed!
Mono sound meand the same sound on the right and left channel nor that it its panned to one of both.
Substractor is mono and every mono signal needs to be conected to te left input otherwise you wont be hearing anything...
Old 2012-11-21, 10:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mate View Post
Throw me an example, then we'll see...
http://www.datafilehost.com/download-36e0ba22.html
Old 2012-11-21, 10:13
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SawTooth View Post
Yep, I've figured already, but for me it's all the same: split, merge, anyway you'll get fake stereo!
Old 2012-11-21, 12:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mate View Post
Yep, I've figured already, but for me it's all the same: split, merge, anyway you'll get fake stereo!
Not really. If you route a Subtractor's output to the left input of most devices, it'll be treated as a mono source and duplicated across the right channel accordingly. You could remove the merger/splitter in your example and it would sound exactly the same.

edit: the same is true in the second example as well.

If you want a true stereo sound from a Subtractor then you have to use two of them. Easy way to do this is to Combine the Subtractor, duplicate it and make adjustments to the filter settings and envelopes and possibly tuning on the second one. Route the output of the first Sub to the Combinator's left "from devices" input and the second Sub to the right input. Make sure the Combinator is sending both left & right channels to the mix channel (which it might not do by default if you combine a single Sub). Sorted.
Old 2012-11-21, 12:10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by adfielding View Post
Not really. If you route a Subtractor's output to the left input of most devices, it'll be treated as a mono source and duplicated across the right channel accordingly. You could remove the merger/splitter in your example and it would sound exactly the same.

If you want a true stereo sound from a Subtractor then you have to use two of them. Easy way to do this is to Combine the Subtractor, duplicate it and make adjustments to the filter settings and envelopes and possibly tuning on the second one. Route the output of the first Sub to the Combinator's left "from devices" input and the second Sub to the right input. Make sure the Combinator is sending both left & right channels to the mix channel (which it might not do by default if you combine a single Sub). Sorted.
So I was right, at least that it'll be the same in either ways of splitting/merging (or even without, didn't knew that), but won't be a stereo at all!

And thanks for the clarification & the tip about how to achieve true stereo with Subtractor!
Old 2012-11-21, 12:33

Quote:
I know. I only applied Mate's thinking on the routing as he meant it to be.
Old 2012-11-21, 14:00

Quote:
... or have 1 Subtractor, split via Spider into 2 EQ's via left inputs only and then put the EQ's left outputs of each into the Mix channel inputs, and then tweak each EQ differently.

....or.... simply wap a chorus / unison over the Subtractor and voila - stereo (with an effect mind you)

most old skool synths are mono sounding anyway, when you have a 'stereo' sounding synth you might have one waveform panned slight left, another waveform panned slight right and treated as one preet